Gap in door while popped

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Unabashedpraise, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Unabashedpraise

Unabashedpraise New Member

Recent purchase of a 2007 Jayco 1008. While the pop-up is in the up position, the door doesn't seal very well in one side. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Are you sure you are very level and the stabilizers are down properly?

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

As bheff mentioned, the gap could be easily caused because the pup isn't level or the stabs are over deployed (used as levelers and bending the frame slightly - very bad).

There are some more ominous reasons that can also cause a gap. One of which is a sagging frame or in some cases, too much weight on either the front or rear of the frame. I have seen some posts that this could be caused on older campers because the missing part of wall where the door is installed, creates a design weak spot along that wall that allows a sag to the rear of the pup. This is most common in older pups and some A-frames.

You may want to test this by taking a jack to the sagging rear corner and see if you can SLIGHTLY jack up the corner to see if the door gap gets smaller. Do this only as a test.

DISCLAIMER: Messing with the frame in this manner as a permanent fix is highly discouraged because you could cause even more damage to the frame or lift system by creating uneven pressure on one of the corners.

4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Before you do anything, make sure you're level side to side and front to back. You should be able to do this with blocks under the tires for side to side and the tongue jack for the front to back.

5. rabird

rabird Howdy!

if not structural failure from weather (water/rot), it could be just tired bones. When ya take a box and cut a whole in its side it looses much of it integrity, worse with age/use. A common complaint is adding people to a pull out bed causes the door to open!

6. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

I see this sort of thing in my Jayco. Need to be level front to back, have an even roof height - all post heights within 1/4". Then have stabilizers deployed correctly. Just snug, not bending frame. Suggest you level and check door without stabs deployed, then deploy them and watch what the door does.

7. Unabashedpraise

Unabashedpraise New Member

Thanks for the replies. I guess my account wasn't set up for notifications.

According to the levels in each corner, it is level. I'll check again with my own levels, and if it's still an issue I will check the rear for any sagging.

8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

You need to find the spot where a jack will close the gap.

9. p

p Active Member

Mine does the same thing. Frame is good, level on ground, etc... It is worse with awning because it pulls on wall.