Garmin Etrex

Discussion in 'GPS / Geocaching & Mapping Applications' started by pm3579, Mar 31, 2012.

1. pm3579

pm3579 Indiana U.S.A.

I am thinking about upgrading my 12 year old etrex summit to a vista hcx.I can't seem to find an explanation on garmins site for the "base map", is it the topo 100k or what? Thanks!

2. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

The base map is always 100K but the nice thing about Gamin's you can load free 7.5 min. maps of just about anywhere here in the states free. The hcx is a great upgrade but be patient and wait for the 60 CSx. The 60CSx is what I have always used in the military for E&E training [{:)] I might be a little biased but the extra options in the 60 CSx make it a worthwhile purchase.
    I bought mine last year on Amazon Black Friday sale for $220 and I will never need to purchase another.
    By the way I have a Garmin 755 NUVI in my expedition vehicle that is also able to load 7.5 min. maps [:D] and a Magellan in the car that likes to go in circles [:(O]

3. pm3579

pm3579 Indiana U.S.A.

Thanks for the reply Bearman512. I myself am biased to the etrex series, from years of use, ridge walking, and cave entrance locating, in several states.
    The altimeter has been without a doubt the most useful feature on my summit with the electronic compass helpful also when in dense canopy since it was purchased prior to WAAS.
    Gamins site has the 60csx with a slightly larger screen over the vista, at a cost of overall size, 2 oz, less battery life,and 50% higher cost.
    Would you speak to the features that impress you with the 60csx, I like the etrex but I'm not married to it.Thanks

4. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

#1 being able to choose Choice of route setup (faster time, shorter distance, off road)
    #2 I like the tide table as I am one of those type of fishermen when I'm on the coast. Not that I need it here in NM but I still end up in Florida and California pretty often. [;)]
    #3 The controls are on the face of the unit. I flew in the Air Force for 17 years and all helo GPS have the same type of controls as the CSx and yes I like the little larger screen.
    Another thing if you drop check the etrex or the 76 CSx on the rocks from over 6' they won't survive. [:(] The 60 CSx is designed for military abuse!

If your intentions are ridge walking the Appalachians or geo caching and hiking designated trails then the etrex is perfect and a great GPS. We like to rockhound and the chances of dropping are very high and like the protection the 60CSx offers. [;)]