Garmin for Gecaching?

Discussion in 'GPS / Geocaching & Mapping Applications' started by Turn Key, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Turn Key

Turn Key New Member

OK, DW has decided that she wants to try some geocaching and I have no issue with that. She has a Garmin nuvi 1450 and we're wondering if this would be good enough for this, at least to get started? If we really start doing it more, I'd prefer to get something that would fit better in a pocket or belt hung case but I really don't want to invest the money until we're sure this is something we wand to do over a long haul. So, is her Garmin good enough for the time being?

Also, thanks for the post about the Garmin recall. Doesn't effect us but it is always good information.

Thanks and Happy Camping!

2. 2ColdBeers

2ColdBeers Member

Your Nuvi is an automotive GPS. We've used one before when in a pinch, but you don't get the same accuracy. Make sure it has an off road mode, that will help. Also, you will need to make sure that it is fully charged since you will have to unplug it to leave the car. We went with a Magellan Explorist GC years ago. It is a starter GPS, but we liked it so much that we never upgraded. You can do paperless geocaching with it, and it is so simple to use. Plus if you buy one new, you get 30 days free membership to geocaching.com to try it out, and they resell for a good amount too if you don't keep up the hobby. Here's a link to a used one on ebay. The screen protector film is still on it even.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magellan-eXplorist-GC-/181094529100?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2a13384c

Give it a shot. We love it.

3. Rambo91145

Rambo91145 New Member

It's better than nothing but I wouldn't recommend it! If you or anyone in your group has a smartphone you can buy the ground speak app for $10. Well worth it ti give it a try and it's very accurate and handy. It was great for when I first started. There are free apps but the real one saves so much frustration it was worth the $10 by far! Let me know if you need any help, it's a great family sport!

4. Turn Key

Turn Key New Member

Kind of what I thought and thaks. DW's checking right now to see if she has "off road mode". Never thought of an option like that but can see how it would help. We'll see how this goes. Thanks again and,

Happy Camping!

PS: She found a "Pedestrian" mode that appears to do what we need. Will give it a try.

5. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

As beers said above, the Nuvi will do it, but may not be the best choice. For your intended purpose of finding out if it's something you're going to keep doing, it'll work, but don't forget that part of the satisfaction of geocaching is being able to successfully find the cache. A major part of that task is the quality of your GPSr.

I have owned one Magellan unit and will never buy another. Garmin's customer service is STELLAR and Magellan's is non-existent. I have a Garmin Vista HCx, but it's quite a few years old. If I were looking for a new handheld, I would be looking at Garmin's line of touch-screen units like the Montana and Oregon units.

For your purposes the Nuvi will get you started, just be patient with it.

6. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Your NUVI will do the job fine provided you have a computer with Mapsource on it.
    Here is a link for free maps to load on it and there is no offroad on the 1450 but with the the trails listed in this link you should be fine.http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/tx

7. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

I would recommend a Garmin handheld - Garmin Maps series. I know you don't want to spend a lot, but if you can afford it, buy one that will do paperless geocaching. Mine doesn't do the paperless, but works great. If you have a smartphone, download the c:geo app. It is FREE and very easy to use. I use it for around town caches. I wouldn't recommend a smartphone if you are under lots of trees as the GPS doesn't seem to work nearly as good as my handheld Garmin.

8. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Member

I use the Garmin Nuvi to get to my destination by car and then use either c:geo with my smart phone once I park or I have the Garmin etrex color to find that sneaky thing.

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I have a Garmin nuvi but don't remember the model number. It seems to be just for streets and roads. I turned it on while at the Arizona boondocking rally last May and it just showed the car icon in the middle of a an empty white screen.

10. lvmycag

lvmycag Member

Have a try! I love to Geocache. I have a Magellan Explorist GC too. I never upgraded either. I paid less than 50 bucks for it two years ago

Just to try it, use a smartphone and download c:geo. I use it when I dont have my GC with me. I like it and it is free.

11. badgamuss

badgamuss Member

My 2 DD's use a smartphone app. Seems to work great. [A]

12. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

If your nuvi has a usb port or external memory slot you can load Mapsource to your computer and then go to http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/ and load the 1-25000 maps to either external or internal memory.

13. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I have a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx that I use for caching. This thing is so accurate it's crazy. Having said that, my son's smart phone has the app and that phone is pretty much as good as my Garmin, but a whole less expensive.

14. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

We have a Garmin Nuvi for use in our vehicles, but we have taken the time to figure out that with a few taps, it will give you longitude, latitude, altitude, etc., and it has a pedestrian mode [;)]. Maybe one day we will try geocacheing, sounds like fun.

15. Turn Key

Turn Key New Member

Thanks for all the input. I believe that we'll begin using DW's Nuvi to get started and given the feedback here, we'll stay with Garmin when and if we go to a handheld. We're very pleased with her Garmin and would expect the same in a handheld. Thanks for the help and,

Happy Camping!