Garmin or TomTom

Discussion in 'GPS / Geocaching & Mapping Applications' started by NJcamper09, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

I have a TomTom,My Mother in law,brother in law,Aunt,sister and parents have TomToms...Since I am the guy that has to handle all the tech support for the family they get what I have so I can talk them through the problem on the phone.I like the TomTom.I have never had a malfunction (I have had problems with road construction but unless your GPS can connect to the internet automatically and update itself they ALL have that issue) TomTom Home is great software allowing you to create your itinerary at home before you leave and load it into the unit (don't know if the others can do that or not) I like and don't like the "user edited maps" on the TomTom (there is a feature allowing the user to make changes when things aren't right (say a road project was done and an exit was moved you can now put an x on where the new exit is and share that info with others on the TomTom software; I am now relying on A) people being competent enough to actually know where they are (in the best case) and B) someone not intentionally messing with us. All of that said I still like the TomTom because it is simple to use. I do however find myself using the GPS in my phone from time to time though. Google Maps is as accurate as any other map out there especially considering at they base they all use NEMA data from the USGS Team (in the US anyway) Now the navigation on the other hand leaves something to be desired...I find it very hard to believe that no matter which way I need to go I will have to pass a Bed,bath and Beyond I'm not saying Google is getting paid to route me past them but I'm not not saying it either!

2. Popup Paul

Popup Paul Member

Ive had both. Love both. Tom Tom website is not very good which makes map updating difficult. Garmin's website more friendly, but the unit seems to be a bit slower in responding to location than the Tom tom was.

I have a Garmin 1490. lots of features, low price.

good luck

3. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

still have my Garmin NUVI 205w for 3 years. I bought the lifetime map plan and it has been good to me. There were a few times that theres a new road or removal of old road... it hasn't been updated by DOT to the National Mapping dept. It usually have like 2 month delay on updating new changes to Garmin GPSs.