Gas burners on stove not lighting?

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by dustyroad, Nov 10, 2020.

1. dustyroad

dustyroad New Member

I'm really confused. My 2010 Coachman Clipper Sport 128ST stove will not light. I have propane in the tank. The heater works (both the fan and heat triggering when thermostat is set) But I can't get any of the 3 gas burners to ignite. Ii don't smell gas anywhere around the stove. I have waited 15+ minutes for the lines to purge. I have tried the lite position on the control knob as well as several other positions, but nothing. This has to be something simple as it was easy to light when we purchased it. 2 years ago, but we haven't tried to use it since, since my wife preferred to use an outside grill to cook (read this as I do the cooking outside). Any thoughts.

Much appreciated,

Dustyroads

2. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

Is there a quick-disconnect on the line? If it came dislodged, then gas won't flow. You should hear and smell gas if it's available, but then if it was available it would be lighting too.

Also look for a valve under the stove that may have gotten turned.

flingwing1969 likes this.
  3. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

@dustyroad

The safety police will be along shortly to criticize this. I have an Aframe and have no idea about CPUPs so this is probably bad advice.

I have the 2 propane bottles that feed into a regulator that feeds into a main supply pipe. Smaller pipes break off the main supply and feed the propane appliances. First thing to do is examine the main supply pipe from the bottles to where it branches off for cut offs, kinks etc. Examine the feed line from the main supply to the stove for same. Then disconnect the feed pipe from the stove, make sure the bottles are turned on and see if gas is flowing out. This bypasses the stove valves and the manifold. If you smell gas its in the stove. Insects in the manifold??????

On mine if the heater works its somewhere in the stove's secondary feed system.

FYI, propane is heavier than air and sinks hence the propane detector is on the floor level

Does the refrig work on propane?

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

You can check it first without disconecting the line. If you turn on the burner it should be under pressure. So, use a long lighter and put it close to the burner. The flame should dance a bit with the airflow coming out of the burner. If its propane coming out it will light. If its air purging it will blow the flame around ( dance). If the flame does nothing, no pressure on the line, so cloged or shut off. Now you can see if its needed to take off the line and go from there.

neighbormike likes this.
  5. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 Active Member Silver Supporting Member

Good advice from tfischer. Your PUP is pretty new but my old (very old) Starcraft (now long gone) had a quarter turn valve for the stove as well as the quick connect.

6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

so, what turned out to be the cause?

7. dustyroad

dustyroad New Member

Unfortunately, I am still confused. No additional valve that I can find. No gas small at the stove or in the popup. Heater still works. I will look again to see if ther is a leak anywhere again. Have the idea that when I do find it, I will be butting my head against the wall.

Thanks for your help,
    Dustyroad