Gas mileage - thankful we have a pup

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Orchid, Sep 11, 2011.

1. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I tow in OD and get 16-18mpg with a 3500 lb pup behind me. 20-22mpg non towing. I can't complain

2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I thought it would be obvious that I wasn't talking about elderly or disabled people. I guess not? [?:~{] Some people clearly would not be able to RV if it was physically demanding, my own parents included. They drive a huge Class A.

More specifically, it has been posted recently that dealers report most people going with large TTs due to the decrease in prices. It may not cost much more up front, but it's sure going to cost every time they take it out of the driveway.

3. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Hello All

If I drive the Saturn ( '99 Manual SL2 ) and pull the Pop Up on the
    Inter-State I know at 65 MPH a solid 29 MPG is shown.

Rodger & Gabby
    FltSgt@msn.com
    COS

4. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Do you have enough power with a 4 cylinder to pull a camper (or is yours' an ultra-light)? My SL2 is most likely the same weight as our pup! [:O]

5. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

Sorry Camp-N-nuts, didn't mean to misrepresent, you are right about Central Wi being hilly, I guess it's all perspective as I am a transplant from NW Oregon and I grew up roaming the Cascades and Coastal Mts.

6. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Not a prob Hawkester (A.J.Hawk fan?). Just didn't want people to think we were flatlanders! [:(O] [LOL] [​IMG]

7. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

FLATLANDER!

Ummm....what's a flatlander? [:)C] Just kidding. I'll assume it's someone who lives in areas that have been leveled by galciers.

8. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

Some of us (me) is a little dense. [:O)]

9. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

When people hear me talk about growing up in South Dakota, they automatically think of states like NE, KS, OK and such which are flat... but I was raised around the Black Hills, which varies from same level as Rapid City (around 3000 ft) to hiking Harney Peak up to 7000 ft.

NOW I could be considered a flatlander living in the FL panhandle that barely has more then a 300 ft elevation difference, highest point in the state is 342 ft above sea level and that north of Tallahassee.

10. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Or it could be this stretch of land on the eastern Carolina's seaboard that use to be under water at one time. South Carolina calls it the "Low Country" and it goes inland for over fifty miles to where the shore line once was.

11. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

At 22-25 mpg towing my Aliner with my Chevy Cobalt SS I can afford to go as far as I like. I usually travel between 2-3000 miles per camping trip. The total cost of my 9 day vacation usually runs between $800-$1,000! (Only $300-$400 in gas.) In a 7 mpg class A, that 2,500 mile vacation would cost $1,250 in gas alone (at $3.50/gallon.)

Chip

12. bigdad

bigdad Well-Known Member

I traded in the Expedition for a 2007 Nissan Quest going from 16.5 to 25 mpg same as the car so when get the hitch and tran cooler on the van i well see what mpg i get.

13. Bjune

Bjune New Member

Boy, I am really glad we have a pup. Friends that we camp with vary from 5th wheels, pull behind campers, and motor homes. We never have to gas up. But, they laugh and call us step children. Oh well, we aren't stopping at evey other town to gas up. Love our friends, but, love our pup too.

14. Dust Devil

Dust Devil Member

And your gas mileage gets even better when you caravan behind them. Wasn't towing a pup this summer, but followed my uncle in his Tioga motorhome from Twin Falls, Idaho to Le Grande, Oregon this past summer. Best mileage I have ever gotten in my minivan is 24 mpg. That day I was getting 27 mpg. And no, I wasn't drafting. Just following along at a safe distance.

15. Twisty

Twisty New Member

So many variables...
    I never broke 20 mpg solo in the 2006 Ranger I had , and I tried and tried.
    It got around 13 to 14 towing the Utah.
    The F150 gets about 21.5 solo with less than 900 miles on it. It is a bigger, heavier and more powerful truck.
    If the mileage drops to 13 to 14 towing a TT, am I ahead of the game? Am I winning or losing?

Oh, this too... [}:)]
    With a 36 gallon fuel tank you may have to stop more often than I. [:O] [LOL]

16. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Well-Known Member

50 mpg towing with my Peugeot 2ltr hdi [A]