Gas mileage

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by camp dad, Jan 6, 2014.

Do you really consider fuel mileage drops during trips?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. No

42 vote(s)
    58.3%
  3. Sometimes

11 vote(s)
    15.3%
  1. camp dad

camp dad New Member

We hear repeatedly about fuel mileage and how our TVs lose efficiency while towing our campers so I am curious as to how many people carefully consider the drop in fuel mileage. I myself don't think about it. If I'm camping its all good.

2. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

I only lose 2 mpg. It's not enough to be worth mentioning considering I get to go camping. [:D]

3. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

Our fuel economy actually INCREASES, but that's due to the fact that we primarily drive the TV only in the city. The jump in MPGs for highway cruising more than offsets the economy loss from towing.

4. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Mine goes down some, how much?, I don't really know. I've never figured it out, and I'm not that worried about it. So what, you spend an extra 150 bucks in gas or whatever, its still a very economical holiday. Compare it to jumping on a plane and spending a week in The Dominican or somewhere for $5000. The extra 150 in gas is all part of trying to have fun.

I can spend a $100 in gas in just one afternoon pulling kids around on tubes behind the boat on a hot summer day. Not that I like to spend the money, but I love the memories it gives to us and the kids when you can all sit back and say 'remember when.....?' Campings included in that.

5. solpushcart

solpushcart New Member

My truck pulls that little PUP so easy, I don't even notice it there. So my mileage is the same.

6. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

I'm in the "gain MPG towing" since my longer highway trips in the truck are normally towing the camper.

Somehow I doubt my "highway" MPG is much different than my "towing little PUP" MPG

7. CamperMike

CamperMike Active Member

My fuel economy drops quite a bit, but it doesn't deter me from camping where I want to. The thing that limits my distance traveled is time, not cost of fuel!

8. CaliforniaPoppy

CaliforniaPoppy California and beyond!

We rarely drive, and have a very fuel-efficient little car for our occasional in-town use, so we try not to think about mileage when we hook up the pup and take the big thirsty beast on the road. It's worth it.

9. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

We think about it briefly on the longer trips but it hasn't stopped us yet. We spend money on camping trips and whatever is left goes toward daily bills (do I have that backwards?). We are heading to Gatlinburg from the Indianpolis area in the spring and we ran numbers on camping versus renting a cabin and driving down a car. We ended up about even and I prefer pup to hotel or cabin every time.

10. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

I see a 3-5 mpg drop depending on how windy it is towing the pup. Doesn't keep us from going. When prices are higher just might keep us closer to home camping. For other traveling when not pulling the pup we really only use the suv for winter driving to the in laws in northern Iowa. Which was glad we had last week.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

11. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

Depends on where the trip takes us...normal SC trips I drop about 2-5 MPG's. Mountain trips I can drop as much as 8 MPG. Is it worth the additional fuel cost? You Betcha!!!!! [;)]

12. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

13. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Do I consider it? No. Do I like to know what the drop is and consequently the estimated fuel cost? Yes.

14. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Yes, as carefully as I consider any other mpg, got to compare to something!

[​IMG]

I think this one shows lower mpg in cooler time of year, non towing, 2 wheeler.
    [​IMG]

15. Brate

Brate Bravado!

During long highway trips (San Antonio to Dallas) I can get 21+ MPG during shorter camping trips pulling my pop-up i get between 11 - 13 MPG though I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that we camp in the Texas Hill Country a lot.

So short answer is yes I budget 2 tanks of gas for every camping trip.

16. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

Who cares ! It's going camping and enjoying the great outdoors. Nothings free in life and having fun is worth every penny if it takes away the daily stresses of life. [8D] [PU] [PUT]

17. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Like PNW Family, my mileage goes UP when towing on trips, as compared to the horrible mileage I get driving around town and sitting at stop lights 50% of the time. My RAM gets about 12 mpg in town. If I cruise unloaded on the highway I get 18-21 mpg, depending on speed and wind. When I tow the TrailManor at about 60 mph I get about 14 mpg pretty consistently.

18. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

The Sorento has been averaging about 16 MPG in "mixed" driving. I use that term loosely because it is only used on 2 commutes a week, and that's my wife's terrible stop-and-go commute. So it might as well all be city.

We've done one long road trip without the pup and got 19.2 MPG. This included quite a bit of cruising at 70 MPH, a mountain pass, and a lot of elevation change in general.

I've towed the PUP once with it since we bought the Sorento. It got 20.5 MPG. "Wait, what?" Well, the place we were going had speed limits no higher than 50 MPH most of the way there, so it's not a huge surprise that it's more efficient than 70 MPH unloaded, what with the higher RPM's and wind resistance at the higher speed.

19. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We consider gas part of the assumed costs of camping. We really don't lose much mpg towing the pup, the Thule car top carrier adds a bit to the loss. If we end up with lots of headwind, it makes it worse.

20. blondedriver

blondedriver Member

Well knowing what your MPG helps you to know what to budget for fuel. If you don't have the money for fuel there and back it makes a bummer of a trip. You want to have funds to do things and splurge.