GAS PRICES??? HMMM DO YOU TAKE THE POP OR A TENT??????? TO SAVE ON GAS..

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by paynster, Apr 18, 2011.

1. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

We just spent $90 in gas for a round trip to the north GA mountains and we have NO regrets. Georgia had some bad storms Friday night and believe me I much rather setup a pup in the rain than having delt with all that to sleep in a tent. We will pay for the gas (have several trips to central FL planned late in the season) as this is still cheaper than air fair and hotels. [2C]

2. scificamper

scificamper New Member

It was pretty easy to see the gas hikes coming, not to mention all of the early year speculation of $4.00 plus gas prices. We will be sampling local campgrounds within an hour of home for the most part, but we will still do three longer trips. With the Explorer, you hardly know the pup is there.
    Scificamper
    2007 Jayco 1007
    2003 Ford Explorer

3. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

We will continue to use the camper even after $40 in gas this past weekend up to Doll Mountain (GA). It was about 132 miles R.T. What should be interesting is our upcoming trip to Lexington, KY, over to Cave City, KY, and then back to GA. Maybe we'll bring a couple of the kids and see who wants to buy one! [LOL]

(We would probably spend that much by staying home and trying to find things to do!)

4. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We'll keep camping, including our longer trips. We can cut back on other things if we need to, but camping is a big priority for us.

5. adamteja

adamteja New Member

200 miles / 20 mpg = 10 gal * 4 = $40
    200 miles / 16 mpg = 12.5 * 4 = $50

$20 extra to take the pup? yeah, I'm dragging it.

6. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

I didn't buy the pup to use a tent. I have it I own it and I'll dang well use it. Although I'll be staying closer to home base this year.
    MR

7. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

I have only one trip planed that will be about 700 miles round trip. Other than that all of my camping will be with in 10 miles from home. With my F-150 I only lose 2mpg and I'm getting to @#@# old to sleep on the ground.

8. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Twisty said:
    Me too. I find that in general my total number of miles driven on a trip is about twice the number of miles for the actual distance of the trip. In other words, if I were to take a 2,000 mile loop trip I would end up driving about 4,000 miles all together. This is from going out on photo shoots a couple of times per day, scouting for photo shoots, touring to see the sights and exploring back roads, forest roads, logging roads and anything else I can find.

9. AlanTn

AlanTn New Member

staying close to home then gas price doesn't matter so it's the pup. on a long trip I'll want all my stuff going too so again, its the pup. if gas gets so high I can no longer afford to go camping, I'll probably need it to live in. [:D]

10. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

TENT....Did you say the "T" word. The tent is for the extra friends that come, even the in-laws (shhhh, don't tell them I said that). I bought that pup to use and get out of that tent. I bought a pup that has all the amenities of home, because I can't afford to stay at the Ritz, but I'll pup like the Ritz.
    My gas milage wont go down that much towing the pup, therefore the pup has to go on vacation too.

11. FC

FC Central Florida

Spending money for gas is part of camping for us. Sometimes it cost more but its still part of camping and I wont let it change my plans. Do I like it no. But Im not gonna let it stop me. [;)]

12. paynster

paynster New Member

[PU] wow....there is one thing I know for sure this site here...Won't be going nowhere soon , because pop ups are in demand and people who own them won't let them go.....its there pull along home away from home..So if gas prices don't get in the way... Nothing will,,,, I guess we all value our [PU] its like our house...its in demand....

as quoted????the suburban is long gone man...sold its in Maryland....at 389. a gallon I don't miss it one bit....

I'm not in a pup this year...Ive got a 30 footer sitting on a seasonal site with 8000 acres. it cost me 600 a year for the site....its close to home..only cause the daughter gets tired of packing up every other weekend to go camping cause i like to camp alot.and they can ride there ATVs there...give them something to do...

But believe me I will be in a pup next year..I'm looking for the deal of a lifetime and i got a year to look around...you know children they change there minds quickly...They might get bored here and wanna go puping again next year.. cause I'm gonna go someplace next year in the [PU] me and the girlfriend..We wanna cross country in the pup from pa to cali and back...stoping along the way..

So this year ifwe wanna go some where difrrent to camp got one of those mansion tents at walmart..looks like a house and got real nice elctric plug in airmattress and good buddy heater and generator for those state park trips we like to take..I don't mind the tent as long as Im on a good air mattress.Thats the key..

13. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

For short trips (under 200 mi) gas is irrelevant for me. For longer trips, gas is irrelevant for me since I save a lot more on hotels with the PUP than w/o it. Tents are out of the question. I got a PUP because tent camping is just too hard for us anymore as a family. I might do it alone although every time I use the PUP, that becomes less likely. Just too darn comfortable and every yr. the ground gets harder.

14. VA Caver

VA Caver New Member

I've got my first camping weekend coming up at the end of the month. It's a 3 hour drive from here and $4 a gallon gas is gonna hurt. But I wouldn't dream of not taking the PUP.

15. mspontiac

mspontiac Member

Our Silverado has the "on-demand" feature, and a good portion of the time the V-8 shuts down to 4 cylinders when towing the pup, depending on wind resistance and hills. I don't think the pup will effect the gas mileage much. I enjoy the comfort of the pup way too much not to use it, and I enjoy camping way too much not to do it. I also can't think of sleeping in a tent in the smothering summer heat and humidity of Illinois in July. Gotta have my air conditioning!! [LOL]

I like to tell myself that we may stay close to home for all but a couple of trips this year, but we will probably still decide to travel to surrounding states because we love seeing new places.

16. captaincampfire

captaincampfire New Member

I love some of those family cabin style tents,multi-rooms, they are cool. I've seen airmattesses with the same height as a regular bed and with fitted sheets and all.

It don't matter tent or trailer as long as you are camping!!!

17. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

This is where towing with a 4cyl really shines. My Cobalt SS TV gets over 30mpg when I'm just sightseeing. Yes I may take a 10mpg hit when towing, unlike others driving v8 trucks whose mileage barely drops, but I burn very little gas after the camp is set-up and the trailer dropped. 1,000 miles of sightseeing will only cost me around $125-$130 in gas (at $4/gallon).

Even my little generator saves gas. Most folk with bigger campers need a 13,500+ BTU AC requiring a much bigger generator, burning much more gas than my Aliner's little 5,000 BTU AC draws from my little 1,200 watt genny. I don't think my little genny has ever run through a whole 2 gallon tank of gas on a week long camping trip, as I only use it when absolutely necessary.

Chip

18. ike129

ike129 New Member

Taking the pup and not looking back. Hands down the most relaxing and enjoyable vacation and weekend getaway for me and the family. I figure that if I choose to go someplace other than my own backyard for vacation, that fuel will always be part of the vacation expense.

19. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

My tow vehicle has a 5.7 liter V8 so it gets moderately bad mileage just driving around. It's mpg dips even lower when pulling our 4500 lb. HTT but it pulls with no problem at all so, I guess it's a trade-off I'm willing to make.

In light of the high gas prices, we've decided to keep most of our camping local (within 75 miles of home) this year. We will still go on our annual group camping trip to Turkey Run State Park in Indiana in June but that will be our one long-distance run for the year.

20. perterra

perterra Member

Getting time off is more of an issue than fuel prices. Our Tacoma loses a couple miles per gallon towing, our Suzuki depends on the wind. Bucking a heavy wind it can drop as low as 13 mpg, good tailwind and 22 mpg is doable. Pup is a palomino 2100.

Headed up to Palo Duro Canyon last year, bucking a 35 mph head wind I saw 11 mpg on the first two tanks, coming back home with the same 35 mph tail wind I saw 24 mpg all the way home.