gas shock closer for pup door

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by N1BRU, Aug 15, 2013.

1. N1BRU

N1BRU New Member

Has anyone attempted to change the door spring on your pup to a gas shock closer? Can it be done without damaging the door and frame?? Reason I ask, I am getting tired of the door slamming closed and exerting excessive wear and tear on the door itself. I have seen light duty pistons on the market but how would you fasten it to the narrow framwor of the door? Need some help in figuring this out, pics too.
    Thanks everyone.... Pop Pop K

2. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Pictures please!
    I have never seen one on a RV if you are talking about a door closer. I was at the understanding they where add ons.

3. Blue2

Blue2 I teach them how to light fires, safely.

When our pup door gets slammed shut the culprit practices closing it... First offense 10 opens and closes... Second offense 20 ... You get the idea as a child I quickly learned to catch it and not let it slam behind me as I rather play outside then open and close a door for practice.

4. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

See several reasons that this would be difficult:
    No place to mount brackets
    Those pistons are really designed to hold something open or up and not to close
    Door to light to close the piston

5. IslePilot

IslePilot Member

I thought this was a great idea until I realized that I am the biggest offender. [V]

6. jeepster827

jeepster827 New Member

you could potentially just use a closer from a regular house hold screen door?

7. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

One of the first mods I did. Regular screen door closer, but it might be a little shorter than most. I had to manipulate the brackets a little, but it works good. Nice to be able to use the little slider thing to hold it open, too.

8. E3 Junkie

E3 Junkie Greetings from Granada Hills, CA.

The regular screen door closer might work if it could be adjusted lightly enough. A regular screen door is more than twice the weight as a PUP door. Additionally not only would it have to be adjusted to close lightly, it would also have to be valved correctly to open without putting undue stress on such a light door. The other issue is that most PUP doors open to nearly 180 degrees, which is something most screen doors do no do. One dollar in the jar for anyone that lets the door slam.

9. generok

generok Well-Known Member

The only thing I'd be worried about on a regular screen door closer is the torque on the door components. A screen door closer, if you can find them, is really nothing but a spring, with a piston on the end. The air can go IN the piston/cyl easy, but has to come out a little hole which you adjust to control the speed it closes.

What I worry about, is if your door is a two piece unit, there will be torque if you push on the part of the door the closer is NOT connected to. That would end up causing some shifting at the point where the top and bottom of the door join. If you were to ONLY open and close the door from the portion the closer was connected to, it would eliminate that issue.

You might be able to open the closer and cut the spring some to take off some of the force, but it's been a while since I looked at one and I can't recall if the end is crimped on or screwed on. It's worth a look. You COULD also do a mechanical closer like a weight and a string through a pulley, but it too would pull on one part of the door.

10. N1BRU

N1BRU New Member

thank you, thank you, thank you all for your comments. well, by the looks of it this may be a winter project, something to think about. I have a 1 peice door, frame seems to be somewhat strong. Yes, I looked and it is going to be a chore to mount it on such a small light weight frame. The slamming is due to the spring on the door now, and I would like to eliminate or lessen that extra wear on the door. I know the gas cylinder is for keeping open doors etc. but there has to be ssomething out there that will work. I think mounting the usnit in the middle of the door frame would distribute the pressure etc. evenly, now just have to find the right bracdket etc.
    again thanks everyone for your comments, don't stop here keep them coming, we need a solution.

11. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

This must work. We were camping with some friends, their kid asked to peek in and see the pups while we were all sitting outside, she did and on her way out she gently pushed to door closed til it 'clicked' (We have a TT). I was impressed and told her so. I told her it was nice to see a good camper be so courteous of those around her.
    We just push ours closed. But I have thought of a spring tether on it, so the wind won't whip it out of my hands...

12. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Just get the shortest closer you can find. It is a little tricky to get the brackets in the right place and fastening it down, ( I need to tighten mine down again) and its true that it won't open 180 degrees, but I don't need it to do that anyway. About the only annoying thing is when I have it propped open, and my shirt sleeve catches on the latch. I don't know why these aren't standard equipment, the spring closer thing it comes with is rinky-dink.

13. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Haven't done it myself (yet), but at least 2 people use this closer.

14. martykowalski

martykowalski Member

Well, I'm reviving an old post here, but if you're still thinking about how to do this, I may have the solution for you. I was able to buy and install a gas shock and brackets to use as a door closer courtesy of a website called Lift Supports Depot (http://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/). This site has a full line of lift supports and hardware- great for replacements or starting a new project as I was. Here is the best photo I could find of the finished product, cropped to get my ugly mug out of the way:

[​IMG]

A few notes about this project:

Gas Support Struts are not speed adjustable, so as installed, this closes the door fairly swiftly. However, I would describe the closing action as firm rather than a slam. I used a 20 lb shock, and it closed the door with about the same speed and force as I would normally close it manually. I am tempted to buy and try a 30 lb shock to see if the performance is better- we will see when spring comes.

There is some other technical info/engineering tips that I won't bore everyone with here, but if after reading the above you're still interested in this project, send me a personal message and I will give you the full story, as well as the part numbers for the specific parts I bought to do this.

15. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

Spring works great for me sounds like a lot of work to keep door shut

16. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

I agree. You shouldn't be in such a hurry while camping! Slow down and relax [8D]

17. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Tell that to my kids that slammed the door about once every 2 minutes until I put the closer on it. I would rather "Slow down and relax", instead of being the bad guy and making my kids practice closing the door quietly.

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of doing this mod, more as a way to latch the door open while standing inside, and closing it from there too. When we're toting stuff in and out of the pup, it is handy to have the door secured open.
    At the walk through, we were shown how to hold the door open by rolling the plastic tubing covered spring over the door corner to hold the door open. That proved to be not so great for the tubing, so it is now broken and the spring rubs back and forth on the edge of the door as we open and close it. It sounds sort of like a fingernail run along the teeth of a comb. The spring is riveted in place, so just slipping a new piece of tubing over the spring is not as easy as I would wish.
    So, for now, we're back to using a tiny bungee cord, to secure the open door to the roof support.. Not a biggie, but is would be handier to do that from the inside of the pup.

19. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Except it won't hold it open as far, and it's REALLY annoying ( and possibly dangerous) to get your shirt sleeve caught on the latch while going out the door.

20. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.