Gatlinburg

Discussion in 'Tennessee' started by mubadub, Jan 4, 2016.

1. mubadub

mubadub New Member

What's your favorite CG in Gatlinburg? A friend recommended Twin Creek but it seems like it might be for big rigs. We are camping in Elkmont for 3 nights and want to stay 2-3 closer to town. I know where they are just want to hear your opinions on shade, pop up welcoming, proximity to "stuff" etc.

2. Wecamp04

Wecamp04 Member

We stay at elkmont as well ,we have driven through twincreek rv resort and it very nice lots of shade trees very nice bath houses with a troll stop at the front gate .If we didn't go to elkmont we would stay here ,I'm sure others will give you all the info your looking for good luck happy camping

3. campinggordons

campinggordons New Member

Following this as well. We normally stay at a hotel in the middle of Gatlinburg but have wanted to take our pop up but wasn't sure where to stay.

4. EmmaLemmaLoo

EmmaLemmaLoo New Member

Sorry I'm late to the party, but hope this will help.
    This campground is GORGEOUS! We drove thru just about a week ago. The sites all have patios, they're paved and beautifully level. Mature trees everywhere. I mean, this place is just beautiful! And, it's VERY conveniently located. It's on a 4-lane highway with a grocery store practically across the street. It's about 3 minutes to the main street that goes either thru Gatlinburg or into Pigeon Forge (or the GSMNP if you go thru Gatlinburg and out).
    The campground does not allow tents. They do allow pop-ups, but you cannot have a dog if you're in a pop-up (has to do with noise). Their bath houses are a work of art, and I'd sort of like to live there.
    There is also a trolley stop at the driveway to the campground. The trolleys are great. They take you everywhere in Gatlinburg, and even to Pigeon Forge and Dollywood. If you don't feel like driving, they're very convenient. I think they're 50 cents a ride, but don't quote me on that.

If you have dogs, or would feel weird being a PUP in a world of Class-A motorhomes, there are a handful of other campgrounds on the same road in (Hwy 321), but I haven't been to any of them recently, so I can't advise.

Pigeon Forge is just a short drive from Gatlinburg and has a TON of campgrounds. Our favorite is Claboughs. Right on the river, super clean, very quiet, great bath houses, and 2 pools.

I hope this helps.

5. KEITH CHANDLER

KEITH CHANDLER New Member

does the elkmont campground have bathhouses?

6. Harrelldjr

Harrelldjr Member

Elkmont has flush toilets and sinks, but no showers.

7. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Elkmont is one of our favorite places to stay when we are in the Gatlingburg/Pigeon Forge Smoky Mtn area.

As stated above ELKMONT has several rest room bldgs situated in the middle of two or three camping rolls that has flushing toilets and sinks and 120VAC inside the rest rooms but no shower... We always wash up at our sink with no issues.

The camp sites do not have any connections or hookups... Firewood is available at a reasonable cost and we can carry fresh water to our trailer from a spigot at the bath room building using our 5-gallon water jeri-can and two wheeled folding tote.

We also can capture our waste water in a couple of those Aqua-Tainer jugs and haul to the rest room building to pour down their drain provided.
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image

We always camp in those camp sites that allows the use of our 2KW Generator between the hours of 8AM and 8PM each day so that we can run our converter/charger unit three hours each day to re-charge our 50% depleted battery bank to their 90% charge state which runs all the 12VDC items we want to run and with the use of our 600WATT PSW Power inverter we can run just about all of the 120VAC items we want to run with the exception of the Air Conditioner or high wattage Microwave unit... We watch HDTV everynight using our OTA Batwing outside antenna... Cell phone service is very spotty inside ELKMONT but you can drive a short distance away on an overlook pullout and use it. If you have Ham Radio aboard there is a Ham radio repeater on the same mountain inside the Natl Park and you can run around the camp sites with a small handheld pocket radio and stay in touch with the local Amateur Radio guys...

ELKMONT has a very small general supply camp store so to speak but TOWNSEND or GATLINBURG is just a short drive away to get what you might need.

Elkmont has a very heavy tree cover and is very comfortable even up into the summer days/nights...
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image

Works great for us... Be sure to make the CADE COVES nature trail run each early afternoon just a short distance away from ELKMONT in the Townsend direction. Lots of deer wildlife. Might even get to see a Moma Bear and her cubs as well...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

8. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Cosby cg is my favorite. It’s one of the best corners of the park for escaping the crowds.

9. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Which drain do you dump your grey water? Down the toilet, the sink in the separate building, or is there another drain? We stayed 1 night in a tent last fall at Elkmont and will be going back this August with the pup.

10. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We always try to get the F8 camp spot just off the creek...
    [​IMG]

Download the ELKMONT Camp site map
    https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/Elkmont.pdf

I usually just dump the grey water down the outside sink. I don't know if all of the bath room buildings are laid out the same or not...

Alot of places have a grey water dump area in the camping rolls but I don't recall ELKMONT having any of these marked places
    [​IMG]
    This one is at Cloudland Canyon Camp at Trenton GA...

Actually the grey water can be poured around a large tree but I would ask first before doing that that. What you don't want to do is pour the grey water directly into the Creek that runs through the site. You also don't want to pour it around a tree close to the camper - It will start stinking pretty quick...

We also have one of those CASSETTE POTTIES and I will dump that down the toilet..

We can stay a good week at ELKMONT using our 2KW generator every morning for three hours to recharge our batteries... Like to do this during breakfast rather than the late afternoons...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

11. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

Check out Greenbriar campground also.

12. NiteRider

NiteRider New Member

How is greenbriar? Going there the first week of July in our NTU pop up.

13. ddperser

ddperser New Member

Soliciting advice . . .

Planning trip to Gatlinburg area on way back from North Chicago to Florida, Spring Break 2019 (mid-March) with Wife & 2 grandkids (8 & 9) in 2001 Coleman Niagara Elite w/ AC/Heat for 2-3 nights.

NEED . . .
    - electric to run heat (avg Gatlinburg temp in March is 62/35)

WANT . . .
    - sites on or with mountain views OR
    - sites on mountain streams / rivers