GCWR?

pupnewb

Jul 8, 2013
Where can I located GCWR for my vehicle? I have a 2018 Kia Sorento V6 AWD. I know all of my other numbers, but cannot find the GCWR anwhere in the manual or online specs. Just trying to make sure I have plenty of wiggle room with a new pup were are thinking of purchasing (5000# tow capacity, 2008 Palomino Mustang 6128). Thanks!

GreyFox

Super Active Member
Oct 10, 2018
S Ontario
Kia may well not publish a GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating) for your Sorento as it's not considered a tow vehicle, regardless that it may be your intention to do so.

pupnewb

Jul 8, 2013
The vehicle has a 5000# published tow capacity. I want to stay under 80%, which I don't feel is a unrealistic intention. I was just hoping I was missing something to locate the number. The owners manual mentioned not to exceed the GCVWR/GCWR, but I could not find the actual # listed. I was hoping maybe someone might have had a similar issue.

rabird

Howdy!
Mar 3, 2006
N. TX
Ask your dealer. At min it would be the curb weight of 4101 + 5000 + 150 for a driver, it could be higher.

Don't go over the rear axle rating, the GVWR or tongue weight rating and you are good to go

pupnewb

Jul 8, 2013
Do I have KIA stamped on my forehead? :rolleyes: Ask KIA why the OP can't find a GCVWR for his vehicle. [::)]
Original poster here--her, not him. I have asked Kia and am waiting for a reply. If you didn't have a constructive answer, you didn't have to reply to my post.:huh:

pupnewb

Jul 8, 2013
Ask your dealer. At min it would be the curb weight of 4101 + 5000 + 150 for a driver, it could be higher.

Don't go over the rear axle rating, the GVWR or tongue weight rating and you are good to go
Thanks! I have contacted Kia. But based upon what you are suggesting, I have plenty of spare. I'll still confirm.

gec66

Super Active Member
Sep 24, 2010
So one of the tougher things about forums vs phone or face to face conversations is picking up on the tongue in cheek responses. Taking the emojis into consideration I don't believe it was GreyFox's intent to chime in without being helpful.

That said, the concept of the Kia not being a "tow vehicle" falls into a kind of grey area. Virtually all car manufacturers provide far more information for their vehicles produced specifically for towing/hauling like their pick-up trucks, but ignore other vehicles (especially cross overs) when it comes to that info. They frequently only establish a tow rating without establishing a GCWR, but in this case I would expect Kia to have it since they mention it. I agree with rabird on the safe assumption in his formula. On my Honda Odyssey, IIRC, the owners manual states that you have to reduce the tow rating by every pound added to the car beyond the base curb weight, but the GCWR was about 4,300 above that curb weight which actually contradicted the stated 3,500 lb tow rating. If Kia can't deliver the GCWR I would feel very safe at that 9,251 number and if you are at 80% of that you are in great shape assuming you have the weight properly distributed and trailer brakes functioning properly.

GreyFox

Super Active Member
Oct 10, 2018
S Ontario
Original poster here--her, not him. I have asked Kia and am waiting for a reply. If you didn't have a constructive answer, you didn't have to reply to my post.:huh:

My apologies - her. :laugh: As for my response it is IMO constructive - ask KIA, because without knowing GCVWR it's impossible to calculate what any given vehicle is in theory capable of towing according to the manufacturer. As pointed out manufacturers do not publish GCVWR for vehicles they don't consider tow vehicles, unlike 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, etc trucks for which the manufacturers ALWAYS publish GCVWR. I've never said you can't tow with your KIA, merely that it is not considered a tow vehicle by it's manufacturer- it's a people mover, a grocery getter, for hauling kids to soccer games, etc. If it's your choice to adapt your KIA for towing that's your choice but that doesn't change the fact it's not considered a tow vehicle by it's manufacturer. All that aside, you won't come anywhere near the vehicle's GCVWR long before running out of payload capacity, especially with a vehicle designed primarily as a people mover.

MNTCamper

Super Active Member
Jun 14, 2014
MN
The GCVWR should be on the driver door jam sticker that provides other information about the vehicle. It has been there on all of the other vehicles that I have had.

GreyFox

Super Active Member
Oct 10, 2018
S Ontario
The GCVWR should be on the driver door jam sticker that provides other information about the vehicle. It has been there on all of the other vehicles that I have had.

Have never seen GCVWR on the door jam sticker of any vehicle, just GVWR and payload capacity. If a vehicle manufacturer chooses to supply GCVWR for various versions of the vehicle in question these numbers are listed in the vehicle's owner's manual.

Last edited:

tenttrailer

Art & Joyce - Columbus, O
Jul 18, 2013
Thornville, OH
look in the owner's manual, it should give you examples how to calculate you capacity and what equipment you need such as electric brakes, etc...

rabird

Howdy!
Mar 3, 2006
N. TX
pupnewb, it can be confusing when Kia mentions GCW but does not have its limit in the book
kia.jpg

I'm a believer that tongue weight is often a limiting factor and I note on page 5/114 that tongue weight rating is no longer 500lbs with the 5000 lb tow rating, not sure if this is some sort of typo or not.

mine is in the book!
coloradotrailer.jpg
my 3600lb curb weight + 4000 + a driver is less than GCWR! but I still am limited to 4000 lbs

The Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) is the total allowable weight of the completely loaded vehicle and trailer including any passengers, cargo, equipment and conversions. The GCWR for your vehicle should not be exceeded.

Last edited:

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
I would simply ensure I was under the following numbers and call it good to go:

Tow capacity of vehicle is greater than the GVWR of the trailer;

Available payload of the vehicle is greater than all the passengers and cargo IN the vehicle PLUS 20% of the GVWR of the trailer.

GAWR is greater than the actual GAW of the vehicle with passengers and cargo PLUS 20% of the GVWR of the trailer.

If you are within those numbers, you will be within the GCVWR.

BBQdave

Aug 31, 2016
North Carolina
I know all of my other numbers... Just trying to make sure I have plenty of wiggle room with a new pup were are thinking of purchasing...
Inside the driver door should provide all the information you need. It will give you payload (passengers and cargo) and towing weight.

Example of inside sticker information: my truck has over 5,000# load capacity which is further divided to show payload around 1,400# and recommended tow weight over 3,000#

The Payload number can shift down and my tow weight shift up, as long as I do not exceed the after market 5,000# receiver hitch. The sticker numbers are based on my original bumper tow capacity of 3,000#

So the driver door sticker is a good starting place, for payload weight and tow weight. And those numbers can change with the addition of dealer added equipment or aftermarket tow equipment :)

Last edited:

pupnewb

Jul 8, 2013
My apologies - her. :laugh: As for my response it is IMO constructive - ask KIA, because without knowing GCVWR it's impossible to calculate what any given vehicle is in theory capable of towing according to the manufacturer. As pointed out manufacturers do not publish GCVWR for vehicles they don't consider tow vehicles, unlike 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, etc trucks for which the manufacturers ALWAYS publish GCVWR. I've never said you can't tow with your KIA, merely that it is not considered a tow vehicle by it's manufacturer- it's a people mover, a grocery getter, for hauling kids to soccer games, etc. If it's your choice to adapt your KIA for towing that's your choice but that doesn't change the fact it's not considered a tow vehicle by it's manufacturer. All that aside, you won't come anywhere near the vehicle's GCVWR long before running out of payload capacity, especially with a vehicle designed primarily as a people mover.
Kia was absolutely no help at all--I'm sure you are right, they don't intend for it to be a hauling vehicle so they won't provide that number. They just talked in circles and kept referring me to the manual (where it's not listed). I pretty sure based upon the tow capacity we will be fine. On a bright note, the hubs found the new truck he was looking for-a Ram 1500 ecodiesel, so we likely won't be pulling with my Kia anyways! Thanks for yours and others input, very helpful!