Gel stain on cabinets?

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by kskelloggs, Sep 4, 2019.

1. kskelloggs

kskelloggs New Member

I've seen a ton of posts and comments from pup owners on painting their cabinets in their pups, and was just wondering if anyone out there has used a gel stain on their cabinets? And if so, has it held up well? I may try to paint ours next spring, (probably won't have time until then, lol) and don't want white at all. I'm thinking something that won't show the dirt as much, as we just aren't the neatest and cleanest when we camp, lol! Between using our pup for hunting, fishing, and with fur family, I just want something durable, but will camo the dirt, and such.

2. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I think that you will find that most cabinets in pups have a vinyl veneer that will not accept stain.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. kskelloggs

kskelloggs New Member

You're absolutely right about that, and ours is no exception. But after watching several videos on the gel stain, it appears that it isn't like a typical stain and seems to adhere quite well to "fake wood" surfaces, which is why I was curious as to whether anyone has tried it. I have seen it used on steel entrance doors and garage doors and such, and it looks nice after it's done, but was curious as to how it holds up over time.

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Go by a RV dealership. If they have a workshop, they will have cabinet pieces they have cut out for mods or derelict campers you could get a cabinet door off of to try the stain on.

5. kskelloggs

kskelloggs New Member

That's a great idea! Had never thought of that! Thanks!