general Roof question

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by mouse6196, Aug 16, 2014.

1. mouse6196

mouse6196 New Member

I have searched many of the forum topics about sagging or slightly bowing roofs. My R-Vision C19 has a slightly sagging roof. I did the usual checks and maintenance and found no issues. It's probably due to snow load from winter storage (Ontario Canada). I now store indoors. Even though I have no leaking, I'd like to get the bow back in thr roof so water doesn't pool.

I took off the inner vent covers for cleaning and did some exploring. The roof is wood interior, laminated to a styrofoam core, then of course would be the felt and rubber roof etc. above.

My question would be, are there no aluminum or metal supports across the roof at fixed locations. I figured there has to be. When I look down the wiring holes for lighting, I don't see any? Also, could I just make a large support to spread weight and jack upward on the ceiling under these supports (if they exist) to re-bent them upward giving me that bowed roof I once had. I can physically push the roof upward from inside (with alot of force of course.

Any suggestions would be appreciated (or information on the construction of this roof type.)

Thanks
    :smile_question1:

2. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

Can you post some photos? (You will need a link to an external site like photobucket or picasa etc)

3. mouse6196

mouse6196 New Member

I'll get some today...I guess what I'm wondering is; are there trusses that span across the ceiling within the styrofoam. There must be as I have heard epople walk on their roofs (I never have).

I'll get pics today.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I would NEVER walk on a camper roof. If you ever have to get on one to do something get a sheet of plywood to spread your weight over a larger area of the roof.

5. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

People do all kinds of silly things but walking on a pup roof is a bad idea. Too much weight spread on too little area. Like UT said, lay down a sheet of plywood first.

I've read several posts by members who have used roof supports or struts designed to support air conditions to take the bow caused by snow loading out of their roofs.

They're surface mounted, connect to the sideboards and seem to work quite well. Check to see if they're available through your manufacturer.

Are you absolutely sure your roof doesn't already have internal supports? Typically, they'll be an inch or two in front of and behind the framing of the roof vent. If you have an aluminum roof, due to the damage, you should be able to see them from outside as they're in direct contact with the roof skin and the skin will be creased on the edges.

Search the forum for A/C roof braces or roof supports.

6. mouse6196

mouse6196 New Member

thanks I'll check for the supports again. They have to be there somewhere.

Thanks