General Storage Questions

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by onesubdrvr, Jul 22, 2014.

1. pcgeekess

pcgeekess New Member

Pulling with a 2 door wrangler makes space in the tv almost null. I have a system though. Use a outdoor kitchen from cablella's. All kitchen and eating stuff goes in the canvas shelves which go under seat in camper. When setting up they come out and clothing in cloth storage bins go in. (Which travel in TV stacked in each other with clothing.) For towel drying I use fold up rack that travels under table.

Bikes are the hardest for me even with a double tow. Skipping that for the rest of this year though cause kids don't use them very much unless campground roads are flat and that is tough to find out here

Cooler is last to pack right inside camper door then I use cooler for water after moving items to fridge. You find a system after a while and borrow others ideas when you see them.

2. zinger60

zinger60 New Member

When we first checked out our PUP at the seller's house, I wondered how they stored everything for 2 adults and 3 pre-teen kids. The wife said they had plenty of room. Well we ended up buying the PUP and even though it is just my husband and myself for 2-3 day trips, most of the cabinets in the PUP are almost empty. It has been 6 years now and over time it gets easier to find ways to store things. We have almost everything we need stored in the camper and the front storage box of the camper. We never pop up the camper before we leave. The day of the trip, we just need 1 cooler for food, 1 cooler for drinks, our clothes in one suitcase, our pillows, and dry food, which we put inside large plastic bags that we use for grocery shopping. The bags get smashed down and stored under the dinette seat after we empty them.
    Someone mentioned that they had a galley that turns upside down when towing so they keep it empty while towing. Our galley had no bottom on it so that we could never leave anything inside there because of flipping it upside down. My DH made a bottom for it out of plywood so we could keep everything stored in that cabinet and still turn it upside down. The only problem was when we did turn it upside down, the doors would open and everything would fall out. We solved that problem with child-proof latches that go inside the door and you press down on to open them. There is nothing showing on the outside of the door and it keeps the door closed perfectly. Now I can use that whole cabinet to store things in when towing the camper. When we had our adult daughter and family stay with us in the camper we found a collapsible cloth hanging thing that looks like cubes all hooked together in a long line. At the top is a hook so we hooked that to our hanging bar by our bunk. It worked like a little dresser to hold our cleans clothes. When it's just the 2 of us, we just use a suitcase and keep it on the other bunk.

3. onesubdrvr

onesubdrvr New Member

Thanks everyone! It's been a while since I've been on, but with the school year drawing to an end, it's time to start thinking about the camping again.

I saw on another post about an out-side table, and I plan on tackling that project too;

I am also going to track down a cargo carrier for the TV.

There are some really good ideas here that have been posted, and it's time I start making modifications.

I've also been thinking about doing away with the inside dinette; we spend most of our time outside anyways, and converting to bench seating with under seat storage would be helpful.

Thanks everyone for the ideas, and I'll try to post as I modify with what I've done.

Wayne

4. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

I would say adding a roof rack to either the Roof of the [PU] or the [TV] would work well for adding cargo room. If there is room, you can always add a container to the frame of the [PU] just in front of it by the battery. It also seems like you are bring a lot of extras for camping. Reduce reduce reduce...but that is just my [2C]

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

There is only 2 of us now, and the three Chihuahuas. But my DW has to carry enough for two weeks for a 3 night stay. I keep my clothes,
    ****** kit etc in a zip up bag which takes little room. I carry food in a cooler and Ice (frozen 3 liter bottles) in another with the perishables
    both coolers have hasps and locks to deter the racoons that so far, cannot pick a padlock. I have my tool box in the pickup, most of the items will fit in the pup. Pillows can be used to stuff tightly to stop the microwave, toaster over etc. from moving around. Also pillows can be the blow up type and take up very little room, or like when I canoe camp, I take my clothes and wrap a jacket or stuff them in a plastic bag.
    Linen can be put on the beds and will take up little room when stored flat on the beds. It will take you a few trips to get things figured out...