Generator/AC problem

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Jhunt012, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Jhunt012

Jhunt012 Member

Heading to a music festival next weekend in Georgia. Borrowing a friends generator so that we can run the AC if needed. Testing it out today and having some issues. The generator starts right up but will not power the AC. It is a Honda 3000.

Based on everything I've read it should have no trouble. The air-conditioner works fine when plugged into a wall outlet in my garage which I assume is probably only 15 A. When I try to run the air conditioner off of the generator it runs for a few seconds and then the generator Bogs down like it's going to stall out.

The generator has been sitting for a while with old gas. Does this sound like a carburetor problem? Would old/bad gas hinder the power output of the generator? Trying to understand why it would run off of a 15 or 20 amp wall outlet in my garage but not off of a 3000 W generator. Any advice? Thank you!

2. Jhunt012

Jhunt012 Member

Thanks to a suggestion from a fellow user I plugged the AC directly into the generator and it works flawlessly. Can someone explain this? Thanks!!

3. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

Probably because your power center is using a bunch of power to charge batteries or run other 12v items.

Still, though... I'm surprised it won't run the AC when you plug the camper in. That generator puts out 2,800 watts, and that should be fine. Maybe your AC is pulling more than it should. You might want to check the start capacitor and/or add a hard start capacitor to it. They're only about $12 and will make it start a lot better on the generator, as well as when you are plugged in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

My honda won't run my entire camper when adapted to 110. However I can plug in just the AC and the also plug in a battery maintainer and it works fine. Not sure why, maybe the convertor, maybe the fridge, maybe just having the other outlets drawing some small bit of residual power. Haven't figured it out yet, but as long as it works I'm fine with it

5. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

"Can someone explain this?"

What else was on in the RV? We know the converter would be trying to charge the battery. Electric water heater?

6. Jhunt012

Jhunt012 Member

After lots of trouble shooting I've determined it's a problem with the generators carburetor. Working on it this week and will hopefully be good to go for the weekend. Thanks for your input.

7. Jhunt012

Jhunt012 Member

In case anyone runs into a similar problem in the future and comes across this thread:

Honda 3000 watt generator started easily and idled smoothly but would bog down when I turned on the AC and would not power it.

I was able to get a brand new carburetor for under $70 and when I swapped it out the generator powered my AC with no problems.

The "test" that made it clear that it was a fuel problem was that if I choked the generator half way, it would not bog down - and would run everything like it was supposed to.

Used it in a trip this weekend and it worked flawlessly.

8. Jhunt012

Jhunt012 Member

This post was a little premature. It would bog the generator down after several minutes. After replacing the generators carburetor I didn't have to worry about only plugging in the AC - I plugged in the main power cord for the camper and ran the ac, used a light, charged cell phone, etc.

9. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Ethanol in modern gas is the major culprit in small engine carb problems. Run ethanol free gas if you can find it, and always turn you gas off and let the engine run its self dry.

10. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Never run any gas with ethenol in anything with a small engine. I always add Seafoam to the gas.