Generator Exemption????

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by EricB, May 2, 2017.

1. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Talk about confusing, you specifically stated;

Now you say "old family location". Who is this family? Is it your family? Do you mean a private campground? Do you mean a public campground at a Wildlife Preserve? You need to pick up the phone and ask the owner of this "old family location". I am totally confused on what you are asking.

2. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Here in the southwest all SWR's have the same rules as the state parks and quite hours are between 10PM and 7AM. The SWR you are wanting to use might have a reservation site or you need to be a dues paying member. If it is a dues/private area there will be someone to contact. Where in the US are you wanting to camp? We might be able to better help you if we have a location/region NW, SW, NE, SE.

3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I think he means a location that his family has enjoyed camping for a long time.

4. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

I work in healthcare and would like to chime in here:

I used to work for a private mom&pop pharmacy that sold/rented medical supplies. It was my job to rebuild the compressors in the o2 machines and refill the portable bottles from our larger main tanks. The regulators that attach to the portable bottles have limitations based on the orders written by the doc. On continuous use, the 9v battery types can only last a few hours depending upon the dosage being delivered. For maximum life of the tank and the battery, they can be set to deliver a pulse of breath whenever they detect the patient breathing in. Yes, they are that smart. But, that is only if the patient's prescription includes burst dosage. The higher the demand for o2, the more a concentrator is needed. Those units basically have a 1 or 2 cylinder air pump in them. Think of a garage air compressor, only smaller scale and much quieter (paper piston rings!). My grand father was on o2 before he passed and was on a very high dose.....about 10-12 LPH depending on resting or moving about the house. Grandma refused to have the noise of a concentrator, so they went with liquid o2. I've been out of the respiratory biz for awhile, so I'm not sure what liquid tanks are available. Something to look into. Also, if you have a very quiet exhaust on someone's vehicle, put the 120v inverter inside the car with the concentrator and let the car run all night. MUCH quieter than a generator and no regulations that say you can't do it. Just a thought.

One last thing to consider (and why smoking of ANY kind is not allowed in hospitals): do you really want to have o2 near an ignition source like campfires, candles, matches, camp stoves, etc? I've seen first hand what happens when you do and its not pretty.

Big_kid and bob barnes like this.
  5. EricB

EricB New Member

Okay, update. Called the state with it being a State Wildlife Area that my wife and mother n law grew up camping in. Ended up finding out that State Regs on Parks don't apply to State Wildlife Areas. It's the discretion of the State Game Warden for that area. I spoke with our area warden and he indicated that if no surrounding campers complain then run generator as needed.
    Thanks for all the insight and input!!!!!!!!!
    We'll take O2 tanks for back up and run generator till someone complains, then shut em down.

6. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Actually, Federal regulations do state you cannot run a vehicle during quiet hours....(sometimes not only for noise, but for the smell too)
    CFR 36 2.12
    (1) Operating motorized equipment or machinery such as an electric generating plant, motor vehicle, motorized toy, or an audio device, such as a radio, television set, tape deck or musical instrument, in a manner: (i) That exceeds a noise level of 60 decibels measured on the A-weighted scale at 50 feet; or, if below that level, nevertheless; (ii) makes noise which is unreasonable, considering the nature and purpose of the actor's conduct, location, time of day or night, purpose for which the area was established, impact on park users, and other factors that would govern the conduct of a reasonably prudent person under the circumstances.

7. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

I stand corrected

8. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I would hope you would ask any nearby campers before they need to complain to you if they mind. I had a group being very loud and running a generator long into the night. I was not able to go over and ask them to shut it off as it is just my son and I, and for how far away they were it was to far to leave my son asleep in the pup, and yes it was very annoying. Long after the partying stopped the generator ran on, it was very unpleasant.

So please ask any neighbors if they would mind first.

Orchid, crackerJack and bob barnes like this.
  9. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

I don't think a normal car (no custom exhaust here) would excced the number. The Second provisions basically agrees, it's up to the Warden to mediate.

10. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Normal exhaust most likely would not exceed the 60 db limit as stated, the following section would "makes noise which is unreasonable, considering the nature and purpose of the actor's conduct, location, time of day or night" So an engine running in the next campground at midnight, even if completely stock, might aggravate someone enough to place a complaint. And in some cases, the complain might be due more to the exhaust floating in your direction.

And I can tell you from personal experience in the BLM campgrounds around Moab, if there is a complaint to a camp host, the host will notify the owners to turn off the engine. If they don't, the next step is for the camp host to call the BLM LE ranger on duty, and they will make sure the engine is turned off, or the person will be told to pack up and move out of the campground.

11. tfischer

I don't understand why you still feel you need a generator when you have O2 tanks. You're putting people out by a) making them have to complain, if they feel led, or b) not complain but deal with the irritation.

Why don't you just use the tanks at night and keep everyone happy? I don't get it.

Orchid and Haybale like this.
  12. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

And have the generator as a back up to the tanks.

It does matter which generator, if it is a Honda or something else as quiet, no problem if at a distance.

13. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Asking neighbors first would be nice. Most of us people who hate the guy with the generator are perfectly fine if we know that guy is running it for someone's medical equipment.

14. tfischer

Doesn't make it any less irritating... in fact I'd be a little out out if someone came over and "asked" if they could run a generator 24/7 "for medical reasons". Am I supposed to say "no, you can't, you can just suffer or die"? A grating noise a 3AM is annoying no matter if it's running someone's TV or someone's ventilator.

The OP hasn't responded why bottled O2 isn't sufficient, so I have to assume it's simply a cost factor. You shouldn't inconvenience others just to save money.

Orchid likes this.
  15. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Or the neighbors could be looking for an excuse to run theirs. [:D]

16. lonewolf465

lonewolf465 Member

It shouldn't be my responsibility to complain to an offending party as the game warden suggested. I don't go camping looking to have to confront someone about their failure to abide to the regulations. You never know what you will run into--------someone with an exemption or someone just wanting to run their noisy generator.

17. tfischer

Agreed. The generator shouldn't be run at night at all. The OP still hasn't justified why it need be so.

bob barnes likes this.
  18. EricB

EricB New Member

We now have a plan, and we will ensure that any and all campers around are "ok" with a small generator running. Thanks for the input. I apologize if I have struck any nerves with anyone. BTW, it's a little Honda 2000 in question. The campground in question has plenty of space for distance from others.

19. unclemark

unclemark Overland Park, KS

I don't want to hear your generator at all, period, day or night, and I will say so when I hear it. I will use curse words. I will be loud. I will ruin your vacation. That is the sacrifice you will pay by bespoiling a public place where nature has been preserved. Make the sacrifice yourself: Go to a campsite with electricity.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    crackerJack and tfischer like this.
  20. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

this story reminds of last time we went trout fishing we were on the bank a guy with waders wades right out where we were fishing. Is this fair? We were there first! Of course as soon as the wader goes out there our lines become tangled people have no common sense!