Generator Exemption????

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by EricB, May 2, 2017.

1. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

I guess a sharp knife solved that issue........

unclemark likes this.
  2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Might solve the generator issue too, if used on the fuel line

unclemark likes this.
  3. Sangster

Sangster New Member

While i agree with you on the generator noise...I have to say that if you handled yourself like that....I'll get a nice break from your bad attitude while you're gone to the hospital to get your broken nose looked at.

unclemark likes this.
  4. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Unfortunately if you punched your camping neighbor in the face and broke his nose, no matter what he said to you, you would probably end up in jail for your vacation. If it was a weekend you may not be able to get bailed out.

NothingsChocking and unclemark like this.
  5. Sangster

Sangster New Member

Maybe so...but the sacrifice may be worth it to teach him that the way he described he would handle the situation may have worked for him so far and may work with a lot of people....but it certainly wouldn't fly with everyone. It's just a matter of time before his grouchy old ass gets popped for being a grouchy old ass.

With all that said....I do agree with him on his stance on running a generator all the time.

6. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

As my mother used to say, "Fight nice boys"

7. Sangster

Sangster New Member

I'm the newbie, so I suppose I'll concede and go back to lurking and learning... :)

8. unclemark

unclemark Overland Park, KS

Well, I'm probably exaggerating anyway. Generators fire up during a lot of my camping trips, and I haven't yet tried to ruin anyone's camping trip because of one. In March we were camped in a primitive site on a dirt road beside a trout stream in Georgia 800 miles from home when some jackass in a motorhome fired up his generator at 9 p.m. We were about 100 yards away from him, and he was surrounded by tent sites, so we were not the most-effected by him, but for us it was still louder than the stream and the rain pelting my roof. I walked over to the site in the rain but did not yell or scream or do anything at all, actually, just looked around. I'm not so worried about a broken nose as I am about a lead injection. Still, I just think generators in campsites are the most profoundly stupid idea ever contemplated, and someday the stupidity might become intolerable. Hopefully a bloody nose is the worst I get.

9. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

This is why we love to wake up every morning to a nice bonfire drinking my fresh ground and brewed coffee watching the fish jump in the nearby creek. Trying to blend in with the populous seems to never really work out haha... Too many rules and too many folks to go along with them hehe...

I beefed up my POPUP trailer systems to support a big battery bank and it runs very quietly with what we want to have running when we are camping. I will only run my small very quiet generator at 8AM each morning when allowed to run my off-road trailer converter/charger unit to re-charge my batteries. This will take a good three hours of generator runtime... If I would install some solar panels I could drop this run time down to one hour to get past the high DC AMPs required during the initial battery charging startup and then could allow the high sun to finish my 90% charge state during the rest of the day.

We come from the 60s time period where tent camping only required a bag full of D-Cells and some white gas. Its not the same these days with all of the added home support things you can bring along with you... We all have our own wants out of life's little pleasures...

I think this thread started out with generators being needed for special needs folks. I have no problem with this and if it becomes unbearable for us I then remember why we have wheels on our trailer. I just move on where it is quiet again haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

10. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with generators running during the day, but by bedtime, they should be shut off. On our last trip, our neighboring camper decided he had to start his generator at 4:30 AM....that irritated me a bit, but thankfully it was a brand name inverter generator, & wasn't all that loud, but still.......

11. bcooney

bcooney New Member

If your are going to run a generator, buy a good, quiet one. I doubt anybody is going to complain about a Honda machine that is quieter than most campers air conditioners. Fire up some cheap harbor freight piece of crap, and people will be justifiably upset.

12. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

In the better-late-than-never department, I feel compelled to say a few words about my friend Uncle Mark.
    1. Mark is qualified to handle any legal ramifications of his or anybody else's actions.
    2. Mark is neither grouchy nor old.

I can assure you when he made his initial comment, Mark's tongue was planted very firmly in his cheek. [:)C]

unclemark likes this.
  13. unclemark

unclemark Overland Park, KS

Thanks Willie. [:D] I could hear plenty of generators here at home today, thanks to the storm. [HH] I didn't yell at anyone. It would have been bad form, considering that we didn't lose power.

14. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I believe there's some improvement in the generators at HF. But I found this out in AD from HF.

15. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has a generator in his TT that runs on propane. Super quiet. It was running while we were talking and I didn't even hear it. Of course it was during the day and it was mounted in his trailer, so that might have made a difference. But if you could come up with a system like that maybe no one would complain.

16. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I would think that permitting use of a generator would be a reasonable accommodation to comply with the Americans with disabilities act. Barring that he campsite should provide electricity for medical needs. I think if you were able to have a reasonable discussion with the ranger or district office regarding medical necessity in the Americans with disabilities act you should be only get something done. However if you run into some nit wit stuck in the mud bureaucrat it might actually take dealing with them through an attorney and I'm not sure it's worth that.

17. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Well isn't that cute. I'm not sure if you're aware but in certain parts of the country any campsite it has electricity usually has a 6 month waiting list. So here buck up. If it's a public accommodation there required to make reasonable accommodations for those with medical needs and disabilities it's all wrapped up in the Americans with disabilities act.

18. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I hardly think running a generator of any type all night is a reasonable accommodation for anything. If someone needs to run a quiet generator for a time during the day to recharge batteries, that's a different story.

PUPs have very little sound insulation, and tents have even less. Can you imagine trying to sleep when the equivalent of a lawn mower is running 15 feet (or less) from your bed?

1380ken likes this.
  19. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Reasonable accommodation is just that "reasonable". If there are electric sites, then the reasonable accommodation would be to give that site to the person, even if they need to move another out (assuming they do not need reasonable accommodation).

If there is no electric site, then reasonable accommodation would be to put them in a campsite where the generator would be able to be operated wwith the least amount of disturbance towards the other campers.

Unfortunately, many federal forest, BLM, etc., campgrounds do not have a camp host or active ranger patrol to provide the reasonable accommodations without advanced notice.

So, anyone needing such reasonable accommodation should contact the campground operators ahead of time and make arrangements.

Not everone camping is in a tent or popup, so surely a person could pick a site in the RV section or near a TT.

If someone was camped next to me and needed oxygen, I would find a way to make it work for both of us. That might mean dealing with the noise of a honda generator, or helping them arrange their generator to minimize the noise, or trading sites to put them on an end site, etc. It is really awful not being able to breathe. I have asthma and my dad was on oxygen and my mom had cancer spread into the lining of her lungs, so I know what it's like. If someone on oxygen wanted to camp, I would be sypathetic and understanding and do my best to help make it work.

20. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

But isn't it cute