Generator Exemption????

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by EricB, May 2, 2017.

1. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Depends on where you camp:

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/learn-about-campground-regulations

• Generators are not allowed during quiet hours except for medical purposes.

2. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

That's the decent, human response to the situation for sure!

3. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Interesting analogy. I need to take a sound meter to my HF TailGator, and my lawn mower. I am fairly certain my mower is WAY louder than the generator, and I get your point, however we are discussing regulations and not your desires. If you want absolute peace and quiet, build a wild as all get out 4x4, carry lots of extra fuel, maybe a half a ton of mosquito repellent, and get driving until you can't possibly hear other humans.

I happen to be on both sides of this issue, being that I need my CPAP to actually sleep, but I am also a light sleeper and noise at night bothers me.

My ideal too is to hear nothing but the sounds of the beach, or the forest when I sleep in a campground. That isn't always an option. Air conditioners at all hours, people arriving to the campground, or back to camp at 2 a.m. in their Cummins Diesel powered trucks, trains, couples arguing, babies crying in the middle of the night, etc... Any campground is going to have noises at night from time to time. A quiet generator like a Honda E2000 is certainly a LOT quieter than any of those things. And I have heard all of them in camp.

The ideal would be for the Oxygen dependent person to have some sort of battery backup, or alternate, silent power source for their Oxygen generator, or perhaps bottled oxygen with them for the duration of the trip. What after all, do they do during a blackout?

The Americans with Disabilities act is there for good reason, and while it IS an inconvenience to many people, and has come at a huge cost to many businesses, including a couple that I know of personally that could not absorb the cost of retrofitting their facilities to become compliant and had to close their doors. But the law, is the law, and like I said reasonable accomodations are to be made. And I am sure you feel like you have every right to determine reasonable (the courts would likely differ). Look into the law, and make your judgement accordingly.

4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Thanks. I just try to think how I'd like to be treated in that situation and use that as a guide. Otherwise it's too easy to blow them off as a problem instead of another human being.

dbhost likes this.
  5. Toedtoes

My Dad was provided with a maximum 3 refillable bottles. He had to refill them from his device which ran off electricity. If a blackout lasted longer than the 3 bottles, then he would have had to use a generator to run the device.

Of course, by then he did not have the strength to go get the generator from his shop and get it back to the house, so he would have been dependent upon someone else to do that for him.

If I remember correctly, if he wanted to travel, he could arrange for a bottle exchange at the hotel upon arrival. Then he would have to set up his device to refill during his stay. Then do a bottle exchange once he arrived back home.

He wanted to go camping again, but it was too difficult with his other health issues. If it had just been the oxygen, I would have taken him even if I had to use a generator (I do not have one for myself - I make due with battery power).

6. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

What about the exhaust from the generator. Even a quiet Honda generator must have exhaust.

7. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Your question seems to be a somewhat incomplete idea. What about the exhaust? What's the point you are trying to get at? You'd be an imbecile to run your generator near any sort of habitated enclosure. Which that, and the sound, are 2 good reasons to have the generator set up away from living spaces...

8. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

I just love the fact that people are still arguing, even though the thread is over a year old......

9. 1380ken

I thought we were discussing running the generator at a campground. If there are no inhabitants at the campground then it shouldn't be a problem. If a generator is running in the woods and no inhabitants can hear or smell it is it still generating electricity.

10. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

We are, but unless you are camping with your tent, TT, PopUp, RV etc... on top of your neighbor, you should have plenty of space to set up without smogging each other out... Again, trying to figure out what your point is. Some specificity please...

11. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

A couple times ago we camped with a largish RV a few sites down, and nobody in between us. He had a big Honda 3xxx generator and it purred so quietly you could barely hear it from our site. I have no problem with that at all, especially if they're not running them at night (which they didn't, even though it was very hot that weekend). Worst experience we had generator-wise was when someone came with what had to be the loudest genny I've ever heard, plopped it right outside his camper, fired it up, and went inside. We weren't all that close but it was still pretty loud. The people who *were* close evidently protested because a few minutes later a group was "helping" him move it down the hill, as far away from the sites as possible. It helped, but it was still wicked loud.

What's my point? I don't know, I just like to tell stories lol. I guess my point is if you need a genny when camping, at least buy a quiet one lol.

Orchid and kcsa75 like this.
  12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

...and as long as I'm just telling stories...

That same campground/outing as the guy with the loud generator... the guy across from him had one that was also pretty loud (non-inverter). He'd go out, fire it up, go back inside, and about 3 minutes later it would die off. He'd come out, tinker with it, fire it back up, go back inside... and 3 minutes later it would die again. It was as if someone was pressing the kill switch on it lol. We were playing board games inside the pup and had a view of the whole thing... this went on for about 2 hours, with the guy getting more and more frustrated at why his generator kept dying. It was quite entertaining lol.

I suspect he had marginally low oil, otherwise not sure what could be killing it that consistently and completely.

13. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, when I bought the HF TailGator, I thought it would be loud like a screaming banshee, but not really. Under load, my AC is louder than this generator. Don't want to run it at night, or cause undue noise, but mind you, with everything else, I can't afford a $1K Honda generator,(or even the $500.00 Westinghouse that is reportedly quieter by about 3db!). I got the HF on a coupon and have already flogged the tar out of it... It's just not as loud as I thought it would be. I guess I expected it to be loud like a chain saw being a 2 stroke, and mind you it's far from silent, the noise is manageable. Most larger 4 stroke generators are much louder than this tiny thing...

Only real issue I have with it is the stink of 2 stroke oil on start up.

Like I mentioned on another thread, and I am going to test heavily before I put it into use, but my jump starter should run my CPAP, according to everything I can find from the MFG of the CPAP, and the jump pack. But as we know, MFG ratings often are outright lies.... so test, test, test.... I am hopeful, that I can run on battery only while sleeping, and after everyone gets up for the morning at Ren Fest, ro beach weekend, or whatever, I can fire up the generator to put the juice back into my jump pack while we cook and enjoy breakfast. Maybe even take a shower...

14. Toedtoes

Yeah, contractor open frame generators are the bane of campgrounds.

A friend joined me camping once and brought her projector and quiet honda generator. That night, she set it up for us to watch a movie. I kept looking around and none of the other campers even looked in our direction, let alone glare, grimace, complain, etc. But it sounded so loud to me that could not get comfortable with it because I was constantly watching for someone else to be annoyed.

So some responses come more from our own perception of how others will react than from how others actually react. She never looked at the other campsites because her perception was that they wouldn't react to the minimal noise made. I looked because my perception was that people would be annoyed by it. Her perception was more in tune with reality.

Yet, when camping and a generator kicks in, unless it is a loud one or wakes me up starting, I will usually stop hearing it within a few minutes (unless I choose to focus on it). And then I couldn't even tell you if it was on without having to listen for it for a few moments.

So, my general opinion of no generators allowed is based more on how I perceive others to respond to the noise than how I respond to the noise. Some folks consider that empathy, others consider it making a mountain out of a molehill. I've found it's both. :)

15. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

The generator I am wanting to go with long run, is the Westinghouse iGen2200 https://amzn.to/2NIWpDh its reportedly quieter than the Honda, and comparable reliability wise. At just a bit over half the cost of the Honda I am thinking it is a good safe bet.... That is $$ down the road, and not my higest priority at this point. And that priority may shift with advances in solar and reductions in cost....

16. joet

joet Well-Known Member

When you set a contractor jenny up with a 100ft cord from your site 40ft from my site...it doesn't take much beer in the fuel tank to silence it.

dbhost and bearman512 like this.
  17. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Soft surfaces, AKA setting it up surrounded by bushes etc.... quiets them way down. There are also quiet boxes that go a long way to killing the noise...

18. 1380ken

Not sure why you are so confused. My point is that some people will not be happy about smelling the exhaust from a generator that is running all night. People complain about cigarette smoke smell. If the wind is blowing the right way you could have exhaust smell entering your tent or camper. Not enough to be a health hazard but it could be enough to get people upset. So even if your generator is quiet it still could bother others if you left it running all night. With proper placement of the generator it should not be a problem but is something to consider.

19. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I was confused because you failed to state your objection. You have now done so. Again when set up with sufficient space from living spaces, exhaust from generators are of no real concern. Yes SOME people will be offended by exhaust fumes, or your cooking odors, or the smell of your soap.

They just need to get over themselves, or get further away from other human beings.

I personally can't stand the smell of patchouli, but if I had neighbors that were in the camground with me covering themselves in patchouli oil it is not my place to tell them their odor makes me want to vomit, I either shut up and deal, or I move on.

For certain social events I find those odors unavoidable. So I behave like an adult and live and let live.

Responsible use says to keep your annoyance of thers to an absolute minimum, but I am only one part of the equation. If someone WANTS to be offended by something, that is 100% their problem. I am too old to care. What business of mine is it to ge in someones way of wanting to find a way to be offended.?

If someone wants to be offended at something that is not meant as an offense, that is their right. There are plenty of people offended at the fact that we chose to recreate outdoors in the habitat of wildlife, or, well even exist. You simply can NOT make everyone happy. There will always be people that will find a way to be unhappy no matter what. You cure cancer, or solve world starvation problems, and they complain you are putting morticians out of work, or you are contributing to the overpopulation of whatever.

There are lots of things in campgrounds that offend me. People with super bright LED lanterns left on all night in the site next to me. Outside TVs and speakers. Inside TVs and speakers that are turned up WAY too loud, unmonitored children running amok. I can chose to either be offended, or I can have a good time. The choice is mine.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  20. Toedtoes

Exhaust can be an issue. I have asthma, so if someone's exhaust is coming straight at my campsite I might have a problem. I also camp with a parrot and they are succeptible to respiration problems. If the exhaust a problem, I would approach the other camper, explain, and hope that they will be polite and understanding and work with me to move their generator to a position that minimizes that problem.

With that, I can say that I have never had that problem so far. Of course, the campgrounds I like tend to have more space between them. If I was in one of those parking lot parks/campgrounds, then it could be an issue.

MagsCee likes this.