Generator Exemption????

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by EricB, May 2, 2017.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Agreed. And you have the right idea... work with folks to come up with a good solution

2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I had to go back and reread that 3 times to make sure I wasn't seeing things lol.

Toedtoes likes this.
  3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

:)

Dog-bird had been found in a tree in a parking lot in LA. The owner had him from that day on - 30 years when I adopted him. Who knows how old he was when they found him. He was not a hand raised parrot - probably a wild caught parrot. He spent most his time in his cage before he came home with me. I didn't want to leave him home alone for a weekend so I got a travel cage and took him camping. He loves camping now. It's the only time he'll eat people food. He likes to watch the wild birds.

tfischer likes this.
  4. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Okay, so I have been prepping for a trip to a particular festival and knowing that...

A. They only provide for primitive camping.
    B. There are areas for the all night party crowd, and the family friendly campers.
    C. I can reserve a given spot in advance.
    D. This is a place and event we have frequented in years past. We stopped camping when I got on CPAP, but want to start again. We are very familiar with the terrain, and prevailing winds during a given season.

I can select a campsite along the outer row, where the property abuts the neighboring property, only thing on the other side of the fence is cows and trees. And this leads to the familiarity with the winds. We NEVER smell the cows, because the prevailing winds almost always blow toward the cattle.

Thus if I set the generator up close to the fence line by the bushes, (far enough to not cause a fire hazard of course), there are several things that will happen.

#1. The soft surfaces of the bushes will blunt the sounds of the generator.
    #2. I use an insulating foam and gorilla tape "quiet box". I allow for sufficient ventilation, but the box helps reduce noise transmission. It's not perfect, but keeps it from sounding like a chain saw felling logs.
    #3. Only use the generator to recharge my power pack, during the day. I.E. get up, fire up generator, plug in to charge and make breakfast. By the time breakfast and showers are done the power pack should be charged for the next use...

bearman512 likes this.
  5. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I have camped at least 50 nights with a CPAP, 6 nights in 1 trip and use a small jumper battery pack and can get 2 nights easily at 8+ hours each night. For longer trips I use a 10w solar panel to recharge it. It can also be charged through my TV. I believe the battery is only a 20Ah sealed lead acid battery. If you have an onboard battery, you should be able to go much longer.

With the heated hose off and the humidifier off the CPAP does not pull much power.

If anything get a group 24 deep cell, and use the generator for a couple hours to charge it, but not run the generator all night.

kitphantom and BikeNFish like this.
  6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I like and agree with everything except I would get a group 27 battery instead. That is what I use.

7. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Back to the actual thread topic.
    I despise generators when camping. I have a large enough dual 6v battery bank to not need one. When dry camping I choose places with restrictions on generators.

If someone chose a place with restrictions, then broke the rules for any kind of exemption, I would be pissed.

Haybale likes this.
  8. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I completely agree. I was at a place camping with a group this past August (been going there for 30 years) where there were no generator restrictions, but there has always been a general understanding that no generators should be used other than during the day. Three 30'+ TT's pulled in and set up camp about 100 feet from the rest of our group. For three nights in a row, the folks in the TT's ran their contractor generators so that they could watch TV inside their camper until around midnight. For us, sitting around the campfire those nights, hearing those genny's running when the only noise we should have heard, the crackling of the campfire, good conversation and the chirping of the crickets, was aggravating. Thank God that they didn't need the A/C or I'm sure they would have left the genny's on all night.

9. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

How about some helpful details like, what kind of CPAP and jumper box?

FWIW, the idea is to run the generator ONLY during the day, most notably, when people are up and running amok causing all sorts of noises in the campground. It is always best to keep as quiet as you can when people are trying to sleep...

tfischer likes this.
  10. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

There are a few CPAP threads already on the portal with a lot of great info.

http://www.popupportal.com/search/16350105/?q=CPAP&o=date