Generator Noise

BikeNFish

Super Active Member
Apr 24, 2017
Maplewood, MN
Decided I would give myself a break and build a floor mat cage for myself.

Do you have the smooth side in or out? It would seem that the crinkled side would be better at directing sound in different directions but the smooth side would absorb rainwater better.

It appears your "house" has a greater than 45 degree peak.Did you trim the interconnectors from one side of the end wall?

Any re-inforcements? What did you do to allow ventilation?
I did no work on it at all. I just leaned them against the genny leaving the muffler side open.

Let me know how yours turns out!

xvz12

Super Active Member
Apr 6, 2017
ID
I have a generator, but rarely use it, I have 2 100w solar panels on the roof of our pup, & for the last 3 years have done a great job of keeping our battery bank up. Not fond of campgrounds, much prefer to boondock, but there is one campground in the Payette NF that the wife wife is fond of, we go there once or twice a year. Last time we were there, the TT in the next site over was unattended when we got there, in fact, we didn't see the owners at all that night. When I got up in the morning, I did notice a generator running, when I went out, the 'neighbors' had shown up who knows when during the night, set up their Predator 3500w generator closer to our campsite than theirs, & it was running when I got up at my usual time, 6AM. It was outside the posted 'generator' hours, in fact, it ran the whole rest of the time they were there, but I have to say, I didn't hear it running at all while I was asleep, those Predators are pretty darn quiet. Now their kids, on the other hand, could've used better mufflers....

Eric Webber

Gold Supporting Member
Jul 7, 2018
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I have a generator, but rarely use it, I have 2 100w solar panels on the roof of our pup, & for the last 3 years have done a great job of keeping our battery bank up. Not fond of campgrounds, much prefer to boondock, but there is one campground in the Payette NF that the wife wife is fond of, we go there once or twice a year. Last time we were there, the TT in the next site over was unattended when we got there, in fact, we didn't see the owners at all that night. When I got up in the morning, I did notice a generator running, when I went out, the 'neighbors' had shown up who knows when during the night, set up their Predator 3500w generator closer to our campsite than theirs, & it was running when I got up at my usual time, 6AM. It was outside the posted 'generator' hours, in fact, it ran the whole rest of the time they were there, but I have to say, I didn't hear it running at all while I was asleep, those Predators are pretty darn quiet. Now their kids, on the other hand, could've used better mufflers....
Predators are quite quiet for what they are

I have the Honda 2200, with a propane conversion added. It is fantastic and quiet, but I don't bring it camping anymore since it is still an annoying sound when everything around is just calming nature sounds.

Instead, I have 400w of solar on the roof, and another several hundred watts of suitcase panels (that I don't always bring, and never bring all of) to go with my nearly 10kwh of lithium battery. Silent and no need to ration at all. Mostly used for the water pumps since I prefer to use my own facilities rather than the campgrounds' - doubly so with COVID. On a sunny day, with some of the suitcases set up in full sun, I can even run the Air Conditioner - not bad at all

I would NOT recommend spending that kind of money on solar and batteries - its insane. But, I move all of it back to my home office when not camping - I work out of an off-grid outbuilding that started life as a shed before getting real windows, doors, insulation, and walls.