Generator shutdown.

NMroamer

Super Active Member
Apr 21, 2016
Albuquerque NM
Something that happened to a friend of mine with a Generac generator.
Did not unplug it when he turned it off and a reverse current surge took out the
voltage regulator.
Thought that I would mention it here so others would know to unplug your generator before you turn it off.
Do not know if other brands will do that or not. Second nature for me because of work experience.

theseus

Living the Darkside...
Silver Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2007
Centerville, OH
I have never experienced this with my Honda EU3000is or the cheap knock off Inverter gen that I had before the Honda. Though now I am wondering if that isn't what killed the knock off Inverter gen....

Customer

Super Active Member
Jun 5, 2014
The manuals I have read say to remove all loads before shut down. The manuals also say to start and bring to normal operating temperature before applying a load.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
Was he possibly backfeeding into a house, and forgot to unplug before switching the main back on after power was restored?

I have a hard time believing you could blow up a gen by leaving a load connected. I would normally unplug before shutting down so as not to damage the load, but never thought it would damage the gen.

NMroamer

Super Active Member
Apr 21, 2016
Albuquerque NM
Was he possibly backfeeding into a house, and forgot to unplug before switching the main back on after power was restored?

I have a hard time believing you could blow up a gen by leaving a load connected. I would normally unplug before shutting down so as not to damage the load, but never thought it would damage the gen.
Was plugged in to an old StarCraft popup.
It was the voltage regulator that connected directly to the load on that brand. The old convertor could have been part of the problem. Never had a problem with my Honda.

1380ken

Super Active Member
Nov 7, 2013
Mass
I could see that right when the engine is shutting off, the revs of the engine are fluctuating, you could get current spikes. It is probably like 1 in a 100 that anything gets toasted.