Generator suggestions

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by HappyCamperCanada, Sep 23, 2019.

1. HappyCamperCanada

HappyCamperCanada Member

I'm not familiar at all with generators. I'm looking to buy a generator/inverter for my pup (Rockwood Premier 2514G). It must be quiet (something like a Honda ultra quiet). I'd like to be able to use my pup outlets when boondocking in the Fall. Specifically the heated mattresses. Pup has a 30 amp plug and I have a 20 amp adapter for it. Id like it to be able to run for at least 8-10 hours at night. Perhaps it could also be used to run a CPAP machine? Any suggestions for a quiet generator? Thanks

Also, is plugging the pup into a generator going to recharge my batteries (like being plugged into shore power)?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

There are many threads on generators here on the Portal.

HERE is just one of my many replies.

In case you are wondering, a 2000W genny will NOT efficiently power an AC unless the AC unit is Less than 10000 btu. You will need to run the genny all night to heat your mattresses all night unless you come up with a way to run them off of batteries, but you will need several batteries as heated mattresses are energy hogs.

3. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Don't kid yourself, NO generator is truly "quiet". You may want to run one all night long but you can bet your camping neighbours won't be happy about it and it's not uncommon for campgrounds to have limited generator hours anyway. Fact is, generators are man made mechanical devices that make all sorts of noise that even in the best of circumstances are bound the annoy others. Been there, done that.

Your camper will have a converter that does charge the battery when the trailer is plugged into shore power - or god forbid, a running generator. [V]

4. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

While that used to be the case this is no longer true - add a Micro-Air Easy Start Soft Starter Kit to the A/C and a 2K genset will easily start a typical 13,500 BTU roof mounted A/C, even in higher ambient temperatures and at higher elevations.

https://www.microair.net/products/e...rter-for-air-conditioners?variant=30176048267

I've owned 2 different Honda EU2000i gensets but if I were buying another this time around I'd invest in the new Honda EU2200i which will easily handle this task - no longer is it necessary to use the typically recommended 3500 watt genset for powering one of these A/Cs.

5. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Having spent a weekend at a campground where someone was using a very nice, quiet, Honda generator to power their AC. It really wasn't that quiet.

Now it's not idling diesel truck noisy, but at night in a quiet campground it will surely be heard a lot farther than you think.

If you are truly boondocking, and the only one around I'm sure it would be fine. Since you're the only one it's going to bother.
    For something small like a CPAP or heated mattress one of the Predators from HF would be fine.
    The "cheap" China generators are a lot better than they used to be.

6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Nope. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Good luck to you if you choose this path.

7. Bradley E Dixon

Bradley E Dixon New Member

HEY! Go easy on the the "cheap" analogy...lol

I started out with a GENERAC 2200 to run A/C - CPAP(s) and any other electric device(s) and I thought it was pretty quiet. UNTIL we realized it couldn't run everything, and ran out out gas about every 4-5 hrs.

So I researched/google'd the crap out of QUIET 3400+ inverter/generators and decided on the HF (Harbor Freight) PREDATOR 3500.
    $699 w/coupon out the door.
    I am still amazed at how QUIET this thing is compared to other(s). It purrs.... (the only description that fits it) and has no trouble running everything we need/use when going primative/boondocking.

Put close to 140hrs since it was purchased. Followed the break-in instructions. Changed oil to a high ZINC synthetic and new NGK plug. Run NON-ethanol premium fuel with SEAFOAM. And drain the carb when stored.

A++ rating IMHP and for the ridiculous low price.....can't go wrong.

My 2cents

Good luck.

Attached Files:

8. HappyCamperCanada

HappyCamperCanada Member

I don't have an AC unit. Furnace and heated mattresses and a CPAP machine would be the only draw

9. HappyCamperCanada

HappyCamperCanada Member

Can't get the HF predator in Canada apparently.

10. HappyCamperCanada

HappyCamperCanada Member

Truly boondocking. Nobody else around.

11. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

The thing about the inverter generators is that they are quiet when they are idling and putting out low wattage. When they ramp up to provide heavier load they do get louder, just not as loud as a contractor generator.

12. HappyCamperCanada

HappyCamperCanada Member

Does anybody know what kind of wattage the pup heated mattresses pull? One is a king and the other is a queen?

13. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

We don't have air conditioning in out pup either, so we bought one of these:
    Sportsman 2200 watt dual fuel generator
    They're considerably less if you wait for them to go on sale. I bought ours mainly because it would run off of propane, don't have to worry about it going bad in storage. I doubt I'll ever run it on gas, unless its a 'have to' situation. It's relatively quiet, if boondocking I wouldn't think twice about leaving it running if I needed to, but I try not to run it when we're in a campground. We have 200 watts of solar cells on top of our pup charging the battery bank, so the generator is essentially a fail safe for us.

HappyCamperCanada likes this.
  14. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

heated mattresses and boon docking just sounds like a bad combo to me. I'm sure it's resistance heat, which is a heavy draw. But there has to be rating on it somewhere, by law. From there it's just math. Same with the cpap, flip it over and look at the draw on the label. It's not much. For just furnace and cpap, I suspect a 1000w gen would run at idle without ever ramping up.

HappyCamperCanada likes this.
  15. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Get a watt meter and measure it yourself. They're available almost every where, including Walmart, Harbor freight, Lowes.

16. WVhillbilly

Communists

Come for a camping trip and smuggle one back [:D]

HappyCamperCanada and davekro like this.
  17. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

I “truly “ boondock every time I go camping and I’d never have a generator. It would bug ME.

Spridle likes this.
  18. WVhillbilly

We used a 2K watt Predator all Summer on a construction site.
    It sipped gas, ran about anything we plugged into it, got the oil changed once, and is still humming along quite well.

For $500. You could carry it with one hand too.

19. HappyCamperCanada

HappyCamperCanada Member

We Boondock all summer and into the Fall running off batteries, propane and solar. But now that temps are dipping into the low 30s and days are getting shorter it's time for a boost. My solar set up can't keep up.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  20. HappyCamperCanada

HappyCamperCanada Member

I'm going to go with a Champion 2000W generator. They're on sale right now. 58 dB isn't too bad for noise level. There's nobody near us and I can live with the drone if it means camping longer into October and keeping warm.

Snow and gladecreekwy like this.