Generator transporting?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by A-Ranger12, Mar 10, 2020.

1. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

For those of you with generators, where do you usually transport it? In the pup, or in the tow vehicle? At some point I will be getting a small inverter generator, and am a newbie at transporting one.

2. Yacoma99

Yacoma99 Member

I don’t want to risk a fuel spill or gas odor in my pup so I carry mine in the TV.

Chris Short and DiamondGirl like this.
  3. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

If I had one I would have to put it in my TV. The way my pup collapses an inverter would not fit in there under the fold over galley. Ideally I would have a rear rack, or extend the front tongue to get a cargo platform, but both are far beyond my ability to do myself, and likely out of budget to pay someone to do, plus I am not certain the trailer frame would even support such drastic mods.

James Rucker and FARfetched like this.
  4. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Well-Known Member

We transport our Honda EU2000i in the back of the Titan. I don’t want to have gas spills in the Aliner. Or breathing gas fumes either by accident.

Happy camping...[ALPU][PUT]

5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Mine rides in the bed of the truck with a canvas cover on it.

6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I transport mine in the truck bed.

7. jackquontee

jackquontee Active Member

My Yamaha 2000 is propane and I carry it in my Aliner.

8. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

I'd always transport my EU2000i in the back of my truck but because I stored it in my heated workshop when not in use I DIY'd a Rubbermaid bin to seal in gas & oil odours.

[​IMG]

A series of pics starts here - click on the "i" at the top right of any pic for a text description.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=YTZrWHhLU0VrOWFnakV4el9jMXJodi1ISVItaGFR

9. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I have the 2KW Honda and have it secured in the truck bed next to the tail gate. I also have a secured hard folding bed cover so this is a fully secured pace for my generator... I like the idea my generator goes where I go... To run the generator I just pull it out onto the dropped tail gate...

It is very useful to have the generator in the truck as I get to rescue folks and myself all the time haha...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

The other reason for the generator is to recharge my battery bank in the mornings during breakfast when I am off-road running everything off my battery bank... It has to run for three hours to get my depleted batteries back up to their 90% charge state ready for the next day/night run off the batteries... I plug my trailer electrical connector into the generator to do this using my on-board Converter Charger setup...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

BBQdave and xxxapache like this.
  10. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

I am stealing that idea! Thanks for posting it!

The genny will either have to get transported in the back of the tow vehicle or in the camper. A way to seal up the fumes and gas odor is mandatory, and the tote fits the bill nicely.

11. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

mine sits strapped down in the back of my pickup, gas can also is strapped down in the bed too. I do not take the jenny very often as I usually stay at parks with elec. and water.

12. carguy4471

carguy4471 Member

I don't have a pickup, and I don't like the idea of it possibly falling over inside the pop up so it rides in the back of the jeep. I am OCD about fuel and oil so it is kept spotless, as is the gas can. I have zero odors in the jeep from it. The moment the genny has a leak of any kind it would be repaired. I've never had a spill or odor while transporting gas cans or generators. Just keep on top of maintenance and always keep everything wiped down and spotless.

A-Ranger12 likes this.
  13. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Unfortunately my Honda EU3000is is too big to put in my pup, so it rides in the back of my Expedition. At the campsite I chain it to the trailer under the front bed.

I’ve never had any gas odors from it while traveling.

14. davekro

davekro Active Member

When you say ‘in TV’ people should specify ‘inside TV’ (meaning where people are) or ‘in BED of TV’. Two very different things. Though car guy (post #12) carries cleaned gen -and- gas can inside the people space of his Jeep! All my plastic gas cans seep, so I would never do that. Maybe there are higher quality plastic cans or metal Jerry cans that don’t leak.

Since having a gen that ran on propane was important to me, I carry it inside my SUV. And of course I do not need to carry separate fuel (gas) for it at all.

15. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Do a search for "Stens No-Spill" gas cans. Best cans I have seen. I replaced all my cans with them.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    davekro likes this.
  16. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

I carry my Champion 3100 inverter generator in the bed of my truck with the fuel can. I have a canopy on my truck and leave the rear 1/4 window open for ventilation

17. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

The Mrs pointed out that since the camper has dual propane tanks, get a genny that runs on propane. No gasoline fumes to worry about, and it eliminates the gas spill problem. Plus we will already be toting the second tank. Propane is $7-10 for 20 lb fills around here, so the cost isn't a killer given our expected use.

18. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Just keep in mind that genset power output will be reduced ~ 10% to 15% when running on propane vs gas.

https://www.chainsawjournal.com/propane-vs-gas-generator/

A-Ranger12 likes this.
  19. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

This would be for the little 5000 btu air conditioner. Specs say 440 watts/4.1 amps at 115 volts, so even accounting for other things like battery charging, 1400 watts running should be plenty.

I'll keep this updated if I do end up with a dual fuel genny.

20. James Rucker

James Rucker Active Member

Was one of our main reasons to buy our Coleman evolution e3. Pretty slick, but the e4's front deck is huge. Saw a pup selling on fb market place, it was the pup w/out the axle, oriented like normal but on what looked like a 35' to 40' tandem axle flatbed trailer. Now not a frame alteration obviously but I see lots of flat bed trailers of different sizes on marketplace all the time. Just a fanciful thought.