Generator transporting?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by A-Ranger12, Mar 10, 2020.

1. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

Update: bought a dual fuel generator from a local dealer. Runs good on gas, and I'll test it loaded on both propane and gas.

Plan is to run this first tank of gas dry, drain the carb of gas, and try to run it on propane exclusively. We will see how that plan survives contact with reality.

James Rucker likes this.
  2. davekro

davekro Active Member Gold Supporting Member

What brand & model did you buy?

3. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

Champion 100402. It's a 2000 starting/1600 running watt inverter generator. Seems decent so far. I ran it for an hour yesterday with some loads on it. Not the quietest inverter out there, but quiet enough.

Interestingly, it seems to run cleaner on propane than on gas. Having had issues with gas fumes from small generators in years past, this is a welcome discovery.

4. davekro

davekro Active Member Gold Supporting Member

I have the exact same Champion Power Equipment 100402 2000-Watt Dual Fuel Parallel Ready Inverter Portable Generator. I never did put gasoline in it. I had challenges getting it started on propane. There was a learning curve for me the 'somewhat less than' full strength pull (4-8) to get propane from tank, thru regulator to the cylinder was hit and miss for me. I don't know that I have that 'procedure' dialed in yet. Manual says 2-4 slow pulls (w/ knob set to choke). It seems I have better luck w/ 6-8 strong, but not full, pulls to prime on propane. Then I need to turn knob to 9 o'clock, not all the way to the 'Run' icon (≈10 o'clock). Even after it's running a few minutes (no load), it runs uneven at 'Run', but smooth at a bit less (9 o'clock). This seems to be the same when it is warmed up. Maybe this phenomenon goes away under load. IIRC, all this was in 'Eco/slow' mode.

What propane start procedure works best for you?

When I first got it, to do the recommended 5 hour break in, then change the oil, I would run for an hour, let it sit for an hour, restart for an hour. I did this over 2 days I think. The amount of worn metal in the oil was a lot. Initially I thought it might be aluminum, but someone said it would mostly be steel from the cylinder sleeves and rings. That made sense. I wish I had gotten my magnet oil stem before my break-in period/ oil change, but I have it now. I got this Atima dipstick w/ flexible funnel kit $19.99. Put plenty of paper towels under the fill tube. Oil still drips in the process.

I was surprised at the quality of the Champion cover I bought for just $10.88!

I was all ready to use my new gen for a scheduled 9am - 2pm PG&E power outage last Saturday. The frig did not need it for that short 5 hour period, but hey, I bought this damn thing so I am going use it! At 11:00am, literally as I put it on the back deck, then walked thru the house to get an extension cord to run to the frig... the lights came on! Doooh! I guess that was a good problem to have. [;)]

5. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

If you ever need, there is a dealer in Azusa, CA. I got mine from their headquarters in NY.

So far on propane it's only needed the recommended 2-4 priming pulls. It fired right up after. I was switching from running gas a minute before, so there was some gas left in the carb. That probably helped.

I'll try it on propane more and report back. Darn fuel-efficient thing has enough gas for an hour at half load with the gas gauge on red.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a little HF Tailgator. I've only ever brought it on one trip. Turns out I didn't need it, but I lent it to 2 friends who did. My solar did the trick.
    But I transported it in the back of my Expedition. No smells or anything were noticeable.

7. amsafetyc

amsafetyc New Member

I have a construction type portable generator that I use in the event of power outages at home. I transport it and leave it in the bed of the pick up truck TV. I just chain it in and it goes everywhere with me and its ready when ever I need it for my RV or charge up anyone else that may need some emergency power or battery charge up. Its a bit louder than I would like, however it does do the job quite well so i see no reason to change. I do block it off and I don't run it during quiet hours so no harm in that respect.

8. littlebritches

littlebritches Member

My TV is a minivan. I carry the generator in the middle. If I has ANY smells (which doesn't usually happen), I leave the back vent windows open for the trip.