Generators. Help?!

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by lynnmarie0123, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

Funny you should ask! I just used it this morning. I opened up my camper to do some general cleaning. It is hot out there right now. So I plugged in the Predator and turned on the A/C unit to cool things down. I could have used Shore power, but I like to check everything out as if I were camping. I made a short video and put it on Facebook mainly for my family to see. I think my A/C unit is a 13,500 Watt unit. The Predator has no trouble running the unit. I had the generator right outside of the back of my camper where the big power cord goes into the camper. I could not hear the generator running over the sound of the A/C fan. The A/C unit makes far more noise than the Predator. The Predator has a display on it so you can see what power it is operating at. With the A/C on high, the display said that the unit was using 1,700 Watts. That is slightly less than half of the Predator's rated capacity.

I'm not saying that the Predator is the best generator out there. There are lots of great generators on the market. I'm saying that I think the Predator is a great generator and that it is doing all that I expected it to do. But just in case, I also bought the extended warranty on mine. If anything goes wrong, and I mean anything, in the next 27 months, I can take it back to Harbor Freight and get a new one at no extra charge.

I don't have to lift mine to take it with me on a camping trip. I made a small wooden ramp so that I can just roll it up and into the camper. It just fits in the doorway. I have a video on Youtube showing what I did in case you want to see it. I'll give you a link if you want.

The price seems to vary widely depending on where you get it. I got mine at HF for $700.00. Sometimes they are less than that. But I often see them on Amazon for well over $1,200.00. That's ridiculous!

etm63 likes this.
  2. nitrohorse

nitrohorse Active Member

I also use my Predator 3500 for AC when I attend summer antique engine shows. I'm like you, I avoid camping in high heat and humidity. I'm a spring and fall camping fan. I enjoy having a fire and not having to sit 150 feet from it to avoid sweating.

neighbormike, etm63 and Grandpa Don like this.
  3. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

W
    When I was doing my research on generators, some of the reviews on the Predator 3500 were not very favorable. But then I found that all of those reviews were recorded about two years before. Some of the reviews had to do with fuel getting into the breather foam and flooding the engine. The cause was the vent pipe in the filler neck was a little too short. People were over filling the tank and transporting the generator which cause fuel to splash into the vent pipe and thus getting into the breather. So they modified the pipe to be much taller and put a warning on the tank saying not to overfill the tank. All of the newer Predators, including mine, have the modified vent tube. It seems that the manufacturer is updating the generator as necessary.

The only other negative problem I saw was caused by bad stale gas in the tank. I don't put gas in my tank until I'm ready to use it. Then I don't fill it up. I don't want to leave gas in there for a long period of time. I now always add Sta-bil to the gas when I refill the gas cans.

neighbormike likes this.