generators

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by keroqueen, Aug 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. keroqueen

keroqueen New Member

thinking if we purchase a pop-up, we may want a generator since most camping sites don't have electricity where we want to go. What is the min we should get? Should consider watts for A/C as well. Any better or worse ones?
    Thanks

grandpa mikey likes this.
  2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

You get what you pay for, especially with gensets. It's not inexpensive but a Honda EU2200i inverter genset will do everything you want, including successfully starting & running a 13,500 BTU A/C under less than ideal circumstances (high ambient temps and elevation) provided you also equip the A/C with a Micro-Air Easy Start soft starter kit.

Steveo4090 likes this.
  3. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

What greyfox said above...Honda is the way to go for getting a high quality and quiet generator. Even if you don't have neighbors nearby, you won't be going nutty from your own gen. noise.

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Give a Champion 3500+ watt inverter a look.

5. GreyFox

Too heavy and unnecessary as long as the A/C is equipped with a Micro-Air Easy Start.

6. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I am healthy enough and my trucks are rated high enough that I can manage the weight.

Ladiesman likes this.
  7. keroqueen

keroqueen New Member

I found this, I suppose I don't need both, but both are $1800...thoughts
    2 brand new Honda generators/inverters. One is the companion model and other is a regular 2200. Companion model has a 30 amp plug when using the available parallel cable to power rvs. When combining these two it becomes a 4400 watt generator. The new 2200 offers 10% more running watts vs the 2000 plus it has a fuel shut off so you can drain the fuel by turning the knob.

grandpa mikey likes this.
  8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Also, remember that if you are camping in a campground, the vast majority have limited hours when you can run a generator. In some, it may be a couple of hours morning and evening, others have more hours during the day. Just something to keep in mind in case you're assuming you can just run one 24/7 in a dry campground.
    [Full disclosure: we have opted not to buy a generator, since solar works well where we camp and we can live within our 12v amenities, If we ever take a longer trip to less salubrious climates, we might have to have one as an alternative, but would still depend mostly on solar. I could not handle the weight, so I have to have something I can use on solo trips.]

9. GreyFox

The EU2200i also has a much larger Honda engine - 121 cc vs 98.5 cc for the EU2000 yet weighs the same, ~ 50 lbs and is FAR lighter than any 3500 watt genset. The EU2200i's surge capability is also FAR superior to any other genset in this category so it's much less likely to fall on it's face when presented with a large surge draw. Personally I see no need for 2 of these gensets for powering a popup and would buy just one as a second, along with a parallel kit, can be added anytime later should you find you really do need this much power. The venerable EU2000 has been discontinued so any new ones still for sale are existing dealer stock.

10. Dnodoz

Dnodoz New Member

11. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Buy a big construction generator. They are cheaper,

12. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

<<<Buy a big construction generator>>>>

Don't unless you want to be "that" type of camper. People will refer to you as " hey a$$hole"

IDezine and kcsa75 like this.
  13. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Hey Greyfox:
    10,500 BTU A/C rated at 11.1amps at 120. Can I get by without a soft start? Honda 2200i

Thanks

If you have a 2200i remember there have been 2 recalls in the past year.

14. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I think when I make the jump it will be a harbor freight predator. Right now I have zero need for it, but maybe I might get the urge to go further out than the typical electric sites I use now.

15. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Exactly

16. kenquagliana

kenquagliana Member

+1 on the Champion 3500 watt. I own one and like it. Yeah its heavy.....(weighs in at just under 100 lbs.)........so is my cooler loaded with food and beer. If you have help lifting it, along with your cooler, it'll handle your needs. Main selling points are its performance & value for the dollar vs. the Honda, which undoubtably is a fine unit, as mentioned by many owners here on the forum.

xxxapache likes this.
  17. GreyFox

Long before I knew about the Micro-Air Easy Start soft starter kit I installed an SPP6 hard start capacitor in my 13,500 BTU Coleman Mach 3 and did manage to repeatedly start the A/C with my Honda EU2000i, as illustrated in this video. The problem however was that success was highly dependent on ambient temperature and altitude. An EU2200i wouldn't have as much difficulty but having discussed this with a number of EU2200i owners success in starting the A/C compressor is improved considerably by equipping the A/C with an Easy Start.

Blackripley likes this.