Generators

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by shawnba, Jun 2, 2015.

1. shawnba

shawnba Shitters full!!!

Hello Everyone,

Just a quick question....

What is your opinion on running a generator at a campground? My personal opinion is that if it is loud than maybe not running too late in the evening. My setup has electric and solar powered lights plus a 12v setup as well.

Just throwing it out there and looking for opinions?

2. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Personally, I don't have a generator for camping, and honestly have never heard one while camping. We go to Prov Parks and camp in between Pups and tents, not near big RV's. I don't think I'd want to be hearing one while I'm laying on a chair, feeding the mosquitoes and trying to relax at my camp site.
    I'm not sure if you've seen it, but there is a post of 2 gens running beside each other on the home page here. Scroll down to it and check it out.

bob barnes likes this.
  3. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

I have a gen. I Don't use it.

4. razorbackcamp

razorbackcamp New Member

We have a small one, been used twice during early or late season boondock camps just to charge the batteries. Ran it about 4 hours 2nd and 4th day we were at camp for about 4 hours. If I ever get a solar setup will probably sell the generator.

5. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Guilty as charged, I have two invertor Champion gennys, one is a 2000 and the other is a 3100. The 2000 is usually the one I bring to recharge the battery during the permitted gen run times when we dry camp.

6. pjnlorrie

pjnlorrie Member

We have a Honda E2000. We have used it a few times when we absolutely HAD to have AC and felt bad about it the whole time. IMHO it is still noisy as h311. Last year we used a 100 watt solar panel and an evaporative cooler (out west), which substituted for the conventional air conditioner, and never fired up the generator. In a dispersed camping situation I would use a generator, but in a campground I know I am irritating my neighbors.

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have two but I do not take them camping, I use them here around the farm.

8. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

I'd be pissed if someone fired up and ran a generator while at a camp ground. That said I would be talking about a busy camp ground. A secluded one different story.

I do camp with a genny but only certain places and only if everyone around me is ok with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

It all depends on location, size of sites and proximity to neighbors....I would rather here a generator than screaming kids, trash talk, barking dogs, and many other things I have encountered.

10. E3 Junkie

E3 Junkie Greetings from Granada Hills, CA.

I bring a pair of Ryobi 2200 watt generators and run them with parallel kit and only use them in remote locations (boondocking only, or when there is a good deal of distance between sites). I'm always cognizant of those around me, and if I feel I am at risk of offending anyone I will always ask. They're rated at 60db, and that is very quiet.

11. spatter1

spatter1 New Member

I have a generator and would not use it a camp ground. Boondocking, sure, if nobody was in earshot but I would prefer using solar when I get the equipment.

12. kstephens

kstephens Member

I have a generator. I only have only used it once while camping, in a primitive campground. That was only to recharge the battery. It is an inverter generator (as quiet as a running car). I was the only one in the section of the campground at the time so I used preferred to re-charge the battery while I watched a movie.

13. jbarz73

jbarz73 New Member

I have a generator and only used it a few times during allowed hours. I haven't taken it with us the last two times since they were short trips and I now have a dual battery setup w/ LED lights. I'll only bring it if we think we'll need/want the heated mattresses turned on.

14. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

I do have a small generator that I take for primitive camping, but have never had to use it. I keep the electrical usage way down when I'm out. About the only draw I have is a couple LED lights at night and a fan. Occasionally I'll use my laptop if the weather turns south.
    The generator very small and if I ever had to use it, I would crank it up at high noon and only long enough for the battery charger to restore the marine battery. People that head to the primitive campgrounds usually tend to be looking for more peace and quiet, and I try very hard to be quiet.

15. JeffC

JeffC New Member

I don't have a huge problem with the quiet Hondas and Yamahas. I decided to go solar for a few reasons, but still have the generator option for fall hunting, etc, although I doubt I'll ever need it. We tend to camp places without services so I don't begrudge someone recharging their batteries every few days at appropriate times. I'm also willing to show them how to build a solar/battery system that is cheaper and lighter.

Jeff

16. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I have a 1,000-watt Yamaha that I use to run a battery charger to top off my system (two Group 27s wired in parallel) when my solar panels haven't been able to do the job due to tree cover, clouds, etc. It is very quiet; you really can't hear it from more than 100 feet or so. I never use it for anything else, even when boondocking.

Last year, on one of my six-week tours, I only used it three times IIRC. The solar panels and driving from one campsite to the next kept me charged up most of the time. Since most CGs have generator hours I only use it during approved times. These times vary by CG. The most minimal are that you can't run during quiet time. Most places are more restrictive than that, though, with two or three two-hour windows. 8-10 AM, 12-2 PM and 6-8 PM are examples.

17. bldmtnrider

bldmtnrider Member

I have the Costco (Yamaha rebranded) gen and use it for a few hours mid day to top off the batteries but 99% of my camping is boondocking.

Used it once at an actual campsite. Neighbors didn't look to happy when I pulled it out but offered to charge their cell phones and ended up with about 5 cell phones plugged in to the camper.

Just point the exhaust towards the woods and nobody seemed to care.

18. SmokeEater2

SmokeEater2 New Member

Depends on the generator. A few years ago while tent camping in a CG with no electrical hook ups a couple pulled a TT into the spot directly across from us. (rest CG was empty but they wanted to be neighbors I guess) Quiet time is 10pm-6am and they would fire up a big extremely loud old generator at 10 after 6 each morning and run it until 10 that night except for re-fueling breaks. They rarely set foot outside their camper for the 4 days they inflicted that noise on us.

I had a REALLY bad opinion of folks in TT's after that experience.

Two years later at the same CG, 2 families pulling Pup's arrived and I was not happy at all thinking of them being like the TT folks from before.

I was very wrong! These folks were just having a good time and the Yamaha generators they used from time to time were so quiet I didn't know they even had them until I was asking some questions about their PUP's and they mentioned them.

19. PATMD

PATMD SOILENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

I wanted one of those quieter generators for years, actually rented one and tried it out in a state campground when I had power issues with my trailer, although the noise was quieter than other generators, I was still not happy with the noise it made. My camping neighbors were pretty nice about it but they didn't like the droning noise either. It served its purpose, but I won't use it again for camping unless I am by myself in the boonies. They are just too annoying.
    PATMD

20. bexcamps

bexcamps New Member

We don't have a gen and fortunately have never had to deal with obnoxiously loud ones. Most campgrounds have a curfew for them anyway and im usually awake at 6am when camping anyway, so as long as it's not super loud, I really don't care if anyone has one.