Geocaching 101 for dummies needed, ASAP

Discussion in 'GPS / Geocaching & Mapping Applications' started by Heartonasleeve, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Heartonasleeve

Heartonasleeve No meal invite, u tore my screen 1st pup outing!

Just discovered there is a geocaching event of sorts at our next camping getaway. I am beyond clueless, but I want to equip an adventurous 10yr old ASAP.

I am not to keen on the idea of an app on our iPads or phones, but do any of you use an iPod with an app, if not what kind of gadget can you advise (inexpensive but not junk either) Also do I need a bag of trinkets.....and exactly what trinkets does my Tinkerbell need to tote when she finds treasures?

2. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Active Member

Geocashing. Com is packed full of info, I stated to get interested in the hobby but other things came up before we actually tried it..

Any app you can download on your iphone/ipad will work on the newer ipods , you may need internet connection? I haven't had an iPhone since the s4 was released :)

3. eoitker

eoitker Member

There are several different kinds of caches. One is a micro cache that is only large enough to hold a rolled up piece of paper for you to sign. They vary in size going up to containers that actually hold "treasures". My sons leave such things as Hot Wheels and guitar picks but there is no right or wrong. Last weekend I ended up with almost 100 chigger bites to help me remember our geocaching adventures!
    As for the apps, you will need one. Some are free, others are not. Go to www.geocaching.com and register, make a profile for free. I have an Android phone so I am not sure if this app is available to you or not, but I downloaded C:geo for free and it has everything you need to have fun. (It also connects to the geocahing website free of charge) Once you really get into it, you may want to purchase a handheld GPS like a Garmin or something. They are more accurate but so far my smartphone works pretty good.
    Bring a pen or pencil when you go. Some bugspray, proper shoes and clothing and water are good ideas too.
    I'm sure there are some PUP members far mor experienced that me that can give even more advice. Good luck and have fun!

4. Heartonasleeve

Thank you, that is the site that I am crash coursing now...(and there is actually a 101!).

5. Heartonasleeve

Eotiker, which app did you download free? I want to put a free one on for testing waters...and I found an etrex garmen on Craigslist rather cheap I think (35?) so we may hunt local with an app while darting around local, and then hopefully score a deal on a gadget that can be dropped in the woods without regret.

6. wapwap

wapwap New Member

c:geo
    It's a great free app for geocaching. It's availale for Android, I don't know about Apple.

And I'm not sure if you'll be able to use an iPod or not. The device will need some way of reading GPS coordinates. I've heard about phones being able to use cell tower information to gather a location. But I've also heard that isn't a very reliable way to locate something. My phone has an integrated GPS receiver.

Depending on the version of the eTrex, $35 could be an awesome deal or just an okay deal for the unit. I've got an eTrex Summit HC - brand new, it was about $140. I picked it up on craigslist for $40. The owner claimed they bought it for geocaching and just couldn't get it to work. They were willing to let me "test drive" it in their yard for about 15 minutes and I bought it. Not sure what they were doing wrong, but it works great for me.

Geocaching.com is the most well known site for geocaching. But there are a few others out there, though they don't have as many caches listed. Some others are: OpenCaching.com magellanGPS.com navicache.com

7. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

Geocaching is a great activity for both kids and adults. DW got the app for her smart phone and I have a garmin. We just recently got the app for the ipad, but it not as good as the smartphone or garmin. As a matter of fact, we got our first 5 caches without either, just went to the geocaching site and used google maps and was able to locate the caches. Since DW got bit by a deer tic in Deleware and got lyme she is a bit paranoid about going in to the woods so we usually just do urban caches now. Can't attest to any of the free sites, but IMHO, the app for geocaching is great. Have fun and enjoy it is a fun experience (unless you get bit and develop lyme disease [V]) Got our first cache and 100th cache on Tybee Island and plan on getting the 200th cache there in November.

8. electronflux

electronflux Member

geobucket is the free app i use for apple. smartphones generally need some sort of cell signal for them to be accurate. a gps gets it's signal from satellites, so unless you're in a cave/indoors, you'll get a signal.

put your gps on a neck lanyard, then it won't get dropped in the woods.

9. Ludercrous

Ludercrous Member

Actually, most (all?) late model smart phones have full blown GPS built in and are very accurate, certainly accurate enough for geocaching. Cell tower triangulation is mainly used for getting a GPS lock far faster than a stand-alone GPS unit can. I have an iPhone 4S and can not remember the last time it was not able to obtain a GPS signal, even far from cell service and in valleys and tree cover.
    A smart phone and a good app (I use the "official" geocaching.com app) make caching far more approachable and spur of the moment than the old "plan where you are going beforehand, download caches into your GPS approach".

Also, with the app, you are able to very easily get caches and maps for an area ahead of time if you know there will be no data available.

All that said, caching with a stand alone GPS is fun too! But not being an obsessive cacher, I've found maybe 50 caches a year the last few years using my phone, where I found 5-10 caches TOTAL the previous 8 or so years just using a GPS unit.

However you chose to do it, have FUN!

10. Heartonasleeve

Well, I didn't have the time to learn geocaching in a moment flash before we made it to Rock Island State Park in TN this past weekend. But I saw the crowd that I assume were there for the geocaching get together and it looked like they were having fun :)