Geocaching?

Discussion in 'GPS / Geocaching & Mapping Applications' started by vagov, Jan 23, 2014.

1. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Just figured i try my luck at this geocaching accoarding to my iphone i sitting right on top a micro cache but cant seem to locate it within 10feet accoarding to this phone. . Probally buried under all this snow! Boy will i be stoaked if i can find my very first one!

2. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

A micro isn't the best choice for a first. And 10' is relative. Your phone may or may not be accurate to 10'. PLUS, the cache owner may or may not have recorded accurate to 10'. Go for a small container or an ammo can for your first couple; you'll have more fun.

G'luck!
    Belch

3. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Theres a ammo can 1.4 miles fromt home going for that as soon as the weather gets out of signal digets

4. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

Agree with BelchFire, a micro is not the best first find. Recommend getting the geocaching.com app for your phone. After caching for awhile your geocaching sense will kick in. It is a great hobby. We have 17 states complete and it gives us incentive to camp in different states. Have fun.

5. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Ya, a micro in the snow... hmmmmm.... that could be tough.
    The problem with a micro is to know exactly how big it is, or what you're looking for. For me, a micro is super small. The size of a dime with a magnet on the back, or something similar. Some guys are calling a film container a micro. I call a film container a small. You never know what you're looking for.

6. bknjohnson

bknjohnson Tyngsboro MA

Micros can be tricky and the app on my phone is only accurate within 16 feet, according to the phone anyway. The accuracy of the phone and even a GPS device can fluctuate based on many factors. So when you get to "ground zero" the cache may or may not be in that exact spot. Expand your search area a little bit and read through the logs on the cache information page and see if it is winter friendly, magnetic, recently found etc. and that will help narrow down what you are looking for. Micros can be tricky for your first one and don't worry if you can't find it. Try another one and go back to that one later. All part of the fun. :)

7. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

I am going for a ammo can states size as small once the weather warms up alittle goecaching is not that fun no matter what the size in minus zero windchill! Once i find that. I will go back for the micro. At least i have a relitively good idea where it is within a few feet