Georgia - Fall Rally! Lake Allatoona Sept 7 - 9, 2012

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by papachaz, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. papachaz

papachaz New Member

Georgia Fall Rally at Lake Allatoona
    September 7 - 9, 2012
    PotLuck Gathering Saturday Night
    [size=12pt]Set up at 5:30 PM with Dinner at 6:00 PM
    at flat area above sites #127 & #128
    [/size]

Sites reserved to date: 25 (as of September 4, 2012) - 51 adults, 16 kids:

We do have some with Dairy and Nut allergies

Site# Screen Name Given Names Potluck Dish

118 mwownbey (Gainesville, GA) Melinda (& possible guest) Grape salad, marinated vegs.
    119 MariettaModern (Marietta, GA) Andy & Michelle, DS Southwestern salad
    120 Ben & Diane (Dallas, GA) Ben & Diane Brownies
    121 BoomJammer (Marietta, GA) Jason & Laura, DDs (3) B'day cake or cupcakes
    122 chrismarques (Dallas, GA) Chris & Michelle Meatballs & sausage; cheesy ranch
    chicken dip
    123 misnanc (Weaver, AL) Nancy & Larry, DD Hot Dogs and fixings
    124 GA Judy (Dallas, GA) Judy & Al (Thurs.) Paper dinnerware, cups, srvg &
    utensils; cornbread casserole,
    savory pickles & black olives
    125 papachaz (Rockmart, GA) Charles & Jill (Thurs.) Bacon wrapped chicken, pineapple
    upside down cake
    126 micbur (Whitesburg, GA) Mike & Dolores (Thurs.) Goulash (shell macaroni, tomato
    sauce & smoked sausage),
    pink lemonade cupcakes
    127 Fire Captain Jim (Gainesville, GA) Jim & Ann Grilled chicken/fruit/veg.shish kabobs, sweet tea
    128 MickSC (Woodstock, GA) Mickey & Betty Red beans and rice
    129 campddad (Athens, AL) Miles & Sherelia, (Thurs.) D.O. chocolate b'day cake, potato
    2 DD, DS salad, “some species of meat”
    130 mtnkube (Blairsville, GA) John & Amy, DD, (Thurs.) D.O. chicken pot pie, D.O. black
    and John & Dorothy forest cake
    131 FW Arcadia (Clermont, GA) Mary & Dan (Thurs.) Smoked brisket (3+Lbs.), baked
    beans, cole slaw
    132 Ladyhawke (Crestview, FL) Patrick & Jodi Red beet eggs
    133 sailingfree (Ft. Ogelthorpe, GA) Robert, DD BBQ cocktail sausages, homemade
    ice cream
    134 Joeman (Smyrna, GA) Joe & Rachelle Homemade chili
    135 dgarbers (Roswell,GA) Jeff & Debbie, 2 DD, DS
    136 athread678 (Gainesville, GA) William & Amanda, DD Baked beans, grilled chicken
    tenders, broccoli salad

138 Mrs. Ski (Lawrenceville, GA) Sally & Mike Italian sausage

142 surgipat (Tuscaloosa, AL) Earl & Pat, DGS (Thurs.) BBQ meatballs & sopapilla
    cheesecake
    143 BrookesGigi (GA) Andy & Tori, DD
    145 Jeanie (Roswell, GA) Howard & Jeanie Macaroni salad, cherry crunch
    146 BrookesGigi (Woodstock, GA) Paul & Tammy, DS Pork BBQ, pasta salad,
    147 BrookesGigi (GA) Tyler & Sam unsweetened tea, watermelon

Children's Scavenger Hunt & Activities, Cornhole Tournament, Potluck Door Prizes & ???

Sites #137 & #150 still open

Campground details: www.recreation.gov - McKinney Campground

T-SHIRTS ARE HERE!!!!

2. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

Re: Georgia - Fall Rally! let's start planning

It's about 9 hours from my house to the park. That doesn't bother me too much, but it may be too much for the other members from Florida.

We are in a bind right now and don't have a tow vehicle yet to pull our new hybrid. I know, we bought the cart before the horse. Lol
    We should be getting a new (to us) truck in a little over a month.
    Once we get the truck we will feel safe to make reservations and will be making plenty of them. Just can't make any yet until we are positive we can get the camper where we want to go. Lol

3. papachaz

papachaz New Member

good deal Wiz! we're just at the beginnings of the planning stages, so we're open to suggestions, and you'll have plenty of time to get the TV and get it set up

Jimmy (Fire Capt Jim) made a few calls to Stone Mtn. He has found that if we reserve 25 sites, we can get sites for $25 a night. even after we get 25, anyone who makes a reservation through and lets them know they're associated with the group from here at the portal, they would get that price as well. sounds like they would be conducive to working with us, so that's something that could work IF we get enough people. I've asked him when we'd have to reserve the 25 sites

4. camp dad

camp dad New Member

IF Alabamians can join, I will defiantly do my best to have my bunch there. Atlanta and north would be best for us, but figure out what will be best for everybody and let me know. I have been keeping up with the rally you guys just finished up and I feel like the kid that wasn't picked to be on the team [:!].

5. papachaz

papachaz New Member

oh anyone is welcome, we don't care what state you're from...although i will go ahead and tell the AZ people it won't be a boondocking rally [LOL] [:O] [LOL] and actually most of the discussion so far has been somewhere Atlanta or north.

sorry you didn't get to come to this one, it was tons of fun, i'm exhausted, but it was so totally worth it!

as for the Stone Mtn possibility, we'd have to do it really quick to get a section to ourselves, so that one may cancel itself out of the running....

6. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

North GA works great for all of the neighboring states. It's close enough for Portal members from SC, NC, VA, KY, AL, etc.

I hope we can make it..

7. FW Arcadia

FW Arcadia Member

PapaChaz / Capt. Jim, count us in. Stone Mt (have tent camped there several times) sounds good to me but really am open to anywhere in N GA. We're retired as well so can help facilitate trying to get sites blocked off for everyone else.

8. papachaz

papachaz New Member

great Dan! between you, jimmy and me, being retired, with gajudy, we could sure block up some sites huh....LOL i will definitely keep you involved!

9. Micksc

Micksc New Member

Count us in, PapaChaz, wherever the group decides.
    Mick

10. papachaz

papachaz New Member

gotcha mick! any suggestions? the thing that concerns me is after labor day most of the COE campgrounds will be closed. we'll have to do one of the few left open, a state park or private. there are a couple of COE open around Allatoona, and we've had a state park suggested. i don't really care where, i just wanna go!

my camper is still hooked up to the truck from last weekend [:D]

11. FW Arcadia

FW Arcadia Member

PapaChaz, soudsd like we can bogard enough places to get everyone in with you, Jimmy, GaJudy and us. Times Awaiting, keep us informed on any plans. Know Jimmy is heading off to Myrtle Beach this week-end so he will be getting his camping nights total bumped for the year to take you on. Going to have to work on catching up.
    Now off to look at caulking and lubing today.

12. austinm48

austinm48 http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r604/austinm48

keep up with your t shirt shipment !!!!

13. papachaz

papachaz New Member

LOL Austin! i read that thread too. if we were to do anything like that, i'd use someone local and not have to worry about it.

ok i'm going to ask straight out, there are two COE campgrounds that stay open year round at Lake Allatoona, there has been a suggestion for Victoria Bryant SP, and another, Fort Yargo has been mentioned. I need to know what everyone's thoughts are.

Also, if anyone knows of a COE campground around Lake Lanier that's open year round, fill us in on the details if you've stayed there please

14. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

I am just renewing our Friends of Florida State Parks & Historic Sites membership today. Anyone can buy a membership to receive discounts on camping and entrance fees, golf, train ride, etc. For seniors, there are discounted memberships as well; and all memberships receive from one to two free nights of camping. (That pays for the membership, folks.)

So if we are having a rally in a state park, this is your chance to save and also support our beautiful and interesting GA State Parks. Of course, there is the $10 lifetime Senior Access pass (for Federal lands/CGs) for those over 55 yrs. old, and that is well worth its weight in gold. Only thing is the restriction on age. You've got to be golden to earn the gold. [:D]

Our GA Spring Rally was fantastic with lots of good fellowship and food. What more could you ask just from one day? :) Considering we had more than one day together, it compounded to building friendships and plans for more get togethers.

Check the Portal for a date for the GA Fall Rally (hopefully early October) and join in the topic and then reserve!!

15. Fire Captain Jim

Fire Captain Jim New Member

Papa, I just did a search on line through Corp.of engineers for Lake Lanier. They close everything up after Labor day weekend. I know that River Forks Park off Hwy.369 just outside of Gainesville will be open in October. This campground is ran by Hall Co.park and rec. This campground is on Lake Lanier with 2 loops, bath houses and play ground on each loop. 30 amp service, concrete level pads with water and power, no sewer, but they do have a dump station. They also have cover shelters to rent for maybe another Saturday night pot luck supper/get together.

16. papachaz

papachaz New Member

that sounds interesting Jimmy, isn't this one of the ones you and I talked about? do you know right off what the rates are? i'm going to look them up and give them a call tomorrow, i'm about to get the apple bacon barbeque chicken going in the dutch oven [:D]

17. Fire Captain Jim

Fire Captain Jim New Member

Yes, we did talk about it brierly, the sites are normally $30 a night, unless you are 55+ years of age.Then the price is $20 a night. I am waiting for a call back from the campground manager to discuss a possiable pup rally in the fall. Due to this is only CG open in the fall on Lake Lanier, they are real busy in the fall. I will try to post more info when I learn more.

18. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that SPs in GA is VERY hard to reserve for the Fall season if we wait. Most sites are reserved 6 months ahead. but McKinney shouldn't be a problem except that other COE campgrounds nearby will be closed. I would be happy to join in...

19. papachaz

papachaz New Member

true Halford! i spent some time online last night looking at different state parks. it's amazing how small some of them really are. 20 to 30 campsites.....maybe we have that many, maybe not. but a small state park might be harder to reserve enough sites, esp the more northern state ones because of the people who want to go leaf watching.

i plan on doing some advance scouting recon over the next couple of days, then i'll throw out some places and see which one seems the most popular.

20. papachaz

papachaz New Member

ok i've been doing some advance internet scouting [LOL] [LOL] here's what i'm finding.

a lot of the state parks, esp the more north you go in the state, are really popular in october for people wanting to look at the fall colors. don't blame them, we want to do that too! Victoria Bryant was mentioned, but it's small and for any weekend in Oct the most open sites right now are 25 the second weekend. that means we'd need to bust it and get reservations quickly.

there are a couple of other state parks i've looked at. Fort Mountain, Chatsworth GA, Fort Yargo, Winder GA, Panola, Stockbridge. I haven't personally camped at any of these, if anyone has any experiences to share, please do! We have done a drive through on Fort Mtn, and liked it. that one definitely has possibilities.

We have camped at Hard Labor Creek SP, and it was nice, and the sites going down the peninsula all line up well so that might be an option.

there are no COE campgrounds around Lake Lanier that are open past Labor Day. Lake Allatoona has one COE, McKinney that is open year round. the other one that used to open year round, Victoria Campground, now closes after Oct 7, and there's not a lot of sites left for that weekend. McKinney has a lot of sites, but being there last weekend, we discussed a couple of loops that look to be a little more 'rally friendly'. the looped numbered in the 120's is only mostly open the last weekend in Oct.

That's what i've looked at so far. the state parks are mostly going to be $26 a night unless you have a 'Friends" membership that will get you 10% off.

If anyone has a private campground they like and want to be considered, please let me, fire capt jim or gajudy know!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.