Georgia State Parks-Reservation Question

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by tweeker155, Sep 2, 2012.

1. tweeker155

tweeker155 New Member

I recently made a reservation for Black Rock Mountain SP for October. I made the reservation through the Georgia State Parks website. I'm not familiar with the reservation process in Georgia so I had a question.

I don't think I was able to reserve a particular site, rather I'm thinking my reservation simply insures that I have a spot for my length of stay. Is this right? If it is then I'm thinking I need to get to the campground as close to the check-in time, as possible, so that I have more to choose from. I hope this is making sense.

In NC, when making reservations online, often times a map of the campground is provided which shows the available sites (sometime w/ a site photo). You can then choose your site and reserve it. I'm not sure this was the case when I made my Georgia reservation.

Any help on this will be very much appreciated. [:D]

Thanks,
    Curt

2. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Yes, that's how Georgia State Parks work. You've only reserved that they promise to have space for you. Get there as early as possible so you have the pick of sites and you're good to go.

Of course, you could always take the stance that getting there mid-day gives you the option of NOT picking a particular site because of the neighbor's 15 dogs and 150,000 lumen bucket lantern, but then there might not be too many others to choose from. ;-)

G'luck!
    Belch

3. tweeker155

tweeker155 New Member

Thanks Belch. :) We'll make sure to get there as early as we can.

4. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

tweeker155, that's how it works. That may be an advantage, as you'll be able to choose a site easy to maneuver into should you get there early.
    I looked back through my notes. We were on site 47, which was a small cul-de-sac loop not very crowded and convenient to the bath/shower house.
    Also, we were attacked by big, black carpenter ants. They fell from the tree branches above us and traveled down our A/C cord and into the storage compartment where the cord led to. I reached in there to get something and boy did I get a scare! There were at least a hundred ants in there. [:O] Hopefully the weather will be cooler and the bugs will be at a minimum.
    Again, have fun!

5. tweeker155

tweeker155 New Member

Hey Carolina Campers.

Thanks for the information on the "Friends Of" Georgia SP. My DW and I are looking into possibly joining. It's funny....we have more upcoming trips planned to Georgia than we do in NC and we've never spent a single night in the state before. I've seen lots of photographs though [:D]

Thanks again,
    Curt