Get the flashlights out, its getting dark early again, Ugh!

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by Wrenchgear, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I quote Rik Emmett of Triumph, every year on this day. "The days grow shorter, and the nights are getting long, feels like we're running out of time", the classic opening line of 'Fight the good Fight'. Set the clocks back again last night, seems it'll be dark at about 1:30 in the afternoon. I hate this time of year for this.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I hate setting the clocks back.. We should just stay on DST all year.. Don't forget to check the batteries in your smoke and CO detectors as well...

neighbormike and kcsa75 like this.
  3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I wish they would just leave it on one time or the other. Standard Time seems to be closer to sun time, but other than that, I don't care a whole lot which would be permanent. Length of daylight is not effected, and I don't like dark mornings or evenings. We're far enough south that we don't get the long summer daylight, nor the really long winter darkness, though for a good part of winter, mu husband goes to work and comes home in the dark. (I do remember earlier darkness in WNY, exacerbated by dingy skies.)
    We are in the forgotten time zone of Mountain time, in NM. AZ does not go to DST, so we are on the same time with them in winter, an hour later in summer. Navajo reservation is on DST. It got really wacko last month, when we were camped at Wahweap CG, on the shore of Lake Powell. The state line between Utah and AZ was within sight, and walking distance of our campsite. The cell phone kept flipping between the two time zones - not a biggie, except we wanted to set an alarm for our long day of car touring. I set the alarm and put the phone on airplane mode, but it still flipped to the other time zone, so the alarm went off an hour early to local time for our tour.
    There has been a bill presented in the NM legislature the last couple of session, for us to remain on DST. No matter which time would be chosen, we're going to off-set from adjacent states: Texas (which is on Central Time), Colorado & Utah (Mountain), and Arizona (MST all year, with exceptions).

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I love this time of year. I keep my clock on the DST time, so every morning when I wake up, I get an extra hour to sleep in... :). That was heaven when I worked. I HATE getting up in the dark, so I prefer "standard time". Spring forward is awful. Losing that hour of sleep will throw me off for over a month.

Apparently there is a team that wants one global time for all. It would be based on Greenwich mean time. So it would now be 10:37 pm for everyone. The idea would be that an 8-5 business day would be at the same time all over the world - so no more worrying that you are calling home at 3 am when it's 2 pm local time.

The problem is that a "regular 8-5 shift" would fall in the middle of the night for many folks. And when would you eat breakfast: at 7 am or when the sun rises?

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I agree that they should leave it alone, on way or the other. I watched a Dr. on TV talk about the issue and he remarked that heart attacks are up 24% during the changes due to the fact the it upsets our natural rhythm. I know it messes my normal things for a few days each time we change the clocks.

neighbormike likes this.
  6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

According to this: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heart-daylightsaving-idUSBREA2S0D420140329

Heart attacks increase by 25% on the Monday after spring forward and decrease by 21% on the Tuesday after fall back.

It's the sleep loss that increases the risk. Gradually breaking into the new time will help. Try adjusting bedtime by 15 minutes at a time over the week before the change and it will reduce that.

7. Wrenchgear

About 6 months ago there was a lot of talk in the news here about Ontario staying one way or the other. People (Dr's. and other people with 'ologist' on the end of their titles) claim that there's an increase in car accidents, heart attacks, and toe nail fungus during times of clock change. It doesn't really matter to me in general other than the fact that it means that winter is on its way. I wouldn't say that I hate winter, but I will say that I like it less and less every year. I've had the clock changes every year of my life (second half of my 50's now) so it doesn't really matter to me if they continue to do the changes or not. I would prefer though, that if they were to leave it one way or the other, that I would like it to be DST. I don't like getting up much in the morning anyway, and most days when I crawl out of bed its dark anyway at 5:30 -6:00 AM, even for half the summer. I do however, like it when it stays light until about 9:45PM in the summer. Rumors were flying that in the Spring of 2020, Ontario would change to DST and stay there for good, but I haven't heard that for a few months, so I'm not sure whats happening.

kcsa75 likes this.
  8. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I hate fall back! It's dark when I go to work no matter what and when we set the clocks back it's dark when I get home too!

kcsa75 likes this.
  9. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I always go into a funk this time of year. I hate that it's pitch black when I walk out of the office at 5:30 p.m. Bring on Spring.

xxxapache likes this.
  10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I work nights, have done so for almost 25 years ( and all previous jobs included a big chunk of the nights) so there is no "normal rhythm".. I like DST because at least when I get up it is light out, when I'm working it is light for at least a couple hours, and when I leave work (12 hours later) it is lightish again... Even last week, I could get up and it was just getting dark, the drive home was all in day light.. now it's mushroom season again ..

kcsa75 likes this.
  11. hq308

hq308 Active Member

You guys are on the wrong side of the equator, the days are getting longer down here:p

kitphantom likes this.
  12. Wrenchgear

Good friend of ours from 2 doors down is visiting the land of Oz right now. She's down there for 2 weeks. Her name is Michelle, say 'hi' if you see her!

hq308 likes this.
  13. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Went to WALMART yesterday to pick up some pharmacy items... Walked out into the parking lot at 5:15PM and it was almost totally dark here haha... It is a shock... I had to flash my truck lights to find it haha...

That made me break one of my golden rules to never use my key chain lock in big parking lots...

Roy Ken

[​IMG]