Getting in to the Pop-up game from Austin.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Teamsloan, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Teamsloan

Teamsloan New Member

Howdy!
    I live in Austin with my wife and two young sons. Both my wife and I grew up camping with our families in pop-ups. My family in particular would take off for a few weeks each summer and travel the country with our Coleman Sun Valley behind our Plymouth Voyager. These trips were very formative for me and I'm looking to carry on the tradition with my boys.

We are in the beginning stages of our search for a pop-up. Our current tow vehicle is an '05 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT with the 3.8L V6. I've got the receiver hitch but only the 4 flat connecter.

Due to the towing restrictions of our vehicle, I'm looking for a fairly simple trailer. I don't need slide outs, or a cassette toilet/shower combo that will weigh the trailer down. I grew up with the rather basic Sun Valley, so I'm fine without the bells and whistles. We'll be outside most of the time anyway.

Looking forward to my research and hopefully we'll settle on a trailer sometime soon!

2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Good luck. Having camped in Austin for several summers, you definitely want to consider A/C. It makes a huge difference during the summer here - I wouldn't even bother without it.

There are a number of campers that will fit your needs. Keep looking, and research everything you can. I spend a long time just searching and browsing threads, and when I finally was ready to get one it took me a couple months of looking to find the right one.

3. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! [:D]

My suggestion - buy another Sun Valley, in the last dozen or so years before FCTA / Fleetwood / Coleman closed for good in 2011 the SV was a 12' model with 2 king beds, great floorplan with plenty of floorspace, tip out galley, no slide out, and was one of the few models in which the fridge could be accessed with the roof down. [A] Friends of ours bought a 2004 Sun Valley last fall, having returned from the travel trailer world as we have, and are very much looking forward to using it this season. You'll have to install a brake controller in your van and upgrade the wiring with a 7-pin Bargman but a Sun Valley carefully loaded for camping should weigh ~ 2800 lbs and be towable with your Grand Caravan. :grin:

Teamsloan likes this.
  4. Teamsloan

Teamsloan New Member

Sneezer, that is the one "luxury" that we've put on the Must Have List. There's a reason our summer trips were out of state. We had no AC and my parents were not about to camp in central TX heat.

GreyFox, thanks for the info. I'll look in to that. We almost went after a 2003 Coleman Utah before we realized it was another CL scam post. It's challenging wading through the "Deer Lease Specials" and Scammy posts to find good listings.

5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Welcome from the mountains of West Virginia where you don't need A/C in the summer

6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina.

7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Welcome to PopUpPortal

8. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

A Utah would be too heavy for your GC while a non-slide 12 footer like the Sun Valley is doable. Considering your TV you ought to be looking for something with a UVW of no more than about 2100 - 2200 lbs. The Sun Valley and it's Destiny series version Tacoma meet that criteria.

9. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

Good luck in your search.

10. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum from Midway USA.

11. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Welcome from N/W Fl panhandle. Good luck with the search for the PUP that will fill all your wants and needs.

12. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

awelcome.jpg
    Greetings from the Connecticut shoreline.

13. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

If you do go the route of getting a coleman/Fleetwood popup. As mentioned Fleetwood has been out of business, as such, parts although available through www.colemanpopupparts.com they are not readily available And many rv replair places refuse to work on them. Thankfully I did manage to find a place to do repairs on nonpopup related parts such as breaks. Just wanted to give you something else to think about as if you didn’t have enough.:wink:

14. Mat Kyne

Mat Kyne Member

Hello and welcome from Mico (NW of San Antonio), Texas. I'm a similar boat as you. 3 Young kids. We manage to go camping at least once a month, more often than not in central Texas. You really just have to avoid camping from late July to early September to stay out of the heat. We have a 2010 Rockwood 1640 LTD that I found on Craigslist. Pop-ups sell fast in Texas, so if you see one you want - get there with the cash ASAP. The 1640 LTD is a small trailer, it only has a full and a twin, but it is nice and cozy and EASY to tow. I pulled the sink and water tank out of mine because I never saw myself using it and I wanted to reclaim that storage space. If you find a newer popup that doesn't have an AC, they can be installed pretty easily. Or you can go the route of using a portable AC. I did that for a while and it worked OK. What you can't live without is a set of Popup Gizmos. They are reflective covers installed over the bunk ends that keep the camper much cooler than without. They are made, sold and required in Texas.

15. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the portal!