Getting Maps for Garmin.

Discussion in 'GPS / Geocaching & Mapping Applications' started by Wrenchgear, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I just picked up a used Garmin GPS Map60 csx in basically mint condition, with very little use on it. I want to use it mainly for geo-caching, and not as a regular gps at this point.

So as near as I can tell, this thing has no maps loaded in it, and also none on the micro sd cards that go in the back. I got a 256 mb and 2 x 4 gig cards with it. When you go online to Garmin, the maps seam very expensive. Is this what people are using, (the actual Garmin maps), or is there a place/site that you can get cheaper or even free maps?

I guess at this point I'm looking for trail maps. I'm not really sure how this all works, and my son (who's excellent with computers) and I are trying to figure this all out.

Any help is appreciated. We've been checking things out on u-tube, but still need more help.

2. iceman

iceman New Member

Maps change every couple of years so be carefull on anything you buy It might not be accurate!

3. rjniles

rjniles Active Member

The maps are expensive unless the unit you buy has lifetime maps included. The maps are proprietary and you will not find another source.

Sorry but you bought a boat anchor.

4. wapwap

wapwap New Member

To use it for geocaching, you don't necessarily need any maps loaded on to it. What you'll do is load the location for the cache onto the GPS, then navigate to that location. Most GPS units have the ability to connect to a computer with a cord to make downloading easier.

Most of the time, I know where the general vicinity of the cache is and get there first. Then I pull out the GPS to get to the cache itself. I don't worry much about updating my map because iceman's right - stuff changes and it'll be out of date pretty quickly. And I work for a local government in a rural area and those maps are pretty awful when it comes to using them, unless you're talking about the federal, state, and county roads.

5. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

That is one of the best GPS's out there! I have one and LOVE it. I have not purchased maps from Garmin yet. You can geocache without the maps. The basic map that it comes with is okay to use for geocaching. It hasn't let me down yet. The only thing that I don't like about it for geocaching is that it doesn't support "paperless" geocaching.

The GPS you bought has the BEST reviews for any GPS out there! I haven't lost signal yet...in the car or in the deep woods! This thing is NOT a boat anchor! I don't know where that poster got that information, but it is NOT true.

I did find some free maps that are supposed to work...but haven't downloaded them yet. In fact, I will have to go "find" them again. If I do find them, I will post back here.

6. rjniles

rjniles Active Member

The OP said there were "no maps" in the unit.

7. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

I also have a Garman. One time my cousin brought me to Boston for a checkup and when we left the hospital her TomTom lead us the looong way around Boston.

Ever since then, we used my Garmin and the route it leads us is the shortest and direct.

I update the maps every two years. I don't think that the roads change that much to worry about it.

Of course, I could always ask Mr. Mayhem to ride with me.

8. iceman

iceman New Member

Geocaching.com is probably all you would need for geocaching! Lifetime maps you only get so many upgrades so read the fine print. Usually the gps doesn't last as long as the lifetime upgrades which garmin says 10 years.

9. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

10. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

There is a basic map that comes with that GPS...just not any really detailed maps (like of rivers, trails, streets, etc.) It will get you out of the woods if you get lost. I am just stating that it is NOT a boat anchor. I just think that you posted something bad about a product that you know nothing about. You shouldn't do that. just saying. It is a GREAT GPS unit.

11. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

After we posted last night, we did find some maps in it. I don't think I said anything bad about it, and I did explain that we need help with it.

So, I thank rjniles for his words of encouragement. My Mom always taught me that if you can't say anything nice.......
    I'm sure rj has a different brand of gps and doesn't care for Garmins, thats why he sounded harsh, but thats OK, I know its not a boat anchor. I already have an anchor for my boat and it looks completely different and weighs a lot more. However this gps does claim to be totally wateproof/submersible, so if I needed an anchor in an emergency, I could use it as one, and still use it for geo-caching after I make my way back to land. Multi-purpose, those guys were thinking when they made this thing.

I spent a month on the internet trying to find the right one to buy, and I'm sure that this is still the right choice, I just need some help and practice with it.
    Thanks to bearman512 for the site he provided, its great.

We still need more help so keep the info coming. (no hard feelings rj, all is good :) )

12. bearman512

Let me know how I can help. [;)]

13. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

I will definitely be checking out that site for maps. Maybe tomorrow while I am "working". [:D]

Thanks for link!

14. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to learn geocaching. Think when we go to see my son this weekend, I'll hijack the Garmin we bought for him a few years ago. I'll use that website, download the Wisconsin maps, and have fun learning while he's at work. Thanks for a great thread and info! :)

15. rjniles

rjniles Active Member

To the contrare: the only brand of GPS I have owned is Garmin. I just bought my second one this past Christmas. The boat anchor comment was based on the OPs statemtment that there were no maps installed and the high cost of map updates.
    I have used both TomTom and Magellan GPSs and I think Garmins are better.

16. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

I have a TomTom but that is used solely for driving.I too think that TomTom has some sort of "kickback" program with whatever city you are in. Case in point I was in Ithaca New York Last year...just driving through to get to the other side ya know? Not a tour not a visit just had to go through there to get to where I was going...there is not one street it didn't have me drive down ! beemerboy your cousins TomTom was doing the right thing by taking you the long way around Boston...had it taken you through Boston you'd likely still be traveling down the never ending one way streets...

17. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

There are "free" maps available on the internet as well that you can download to your GPS.

Can't vouch for the accuracy; but, I've never had a problem with them. I've loaded topo maps, etc. on my eTrex Legend and have been pleased with the results.

18. bearman512

If you have a Garmin. No need to buy maps as these will load to any capable Garmin.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/all

If the maps are 1-24,000 topos the US Government produces these for navigation and are spot on for accuracy.

19. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

To say a 60CSx is a "boat anchor" shows a lack of understanding about the product.

From what I've read, there's seems to be some confusion about exactly what kind of GPS unit Wrenchgear bought. Although the GPSMAP 60CSx has been superceded by newer units, it's still a very capable unit for geocaching and backcountry navigation. It can be used for road navigation, but that's not its main purpose, and it's rather clumsy for that compared to dedicated road units.

I've used a 60CSx for four years and it's a very rugged, reliable unit. I've spent $100 for more detailed maps of all U.S. national parks west of the Mississippi, and I've loaded some free maps, too. The unit has a base map install regardless of anything else. Some newer units have better screens and a less confusing interface, but once you get the hang of running it, it's a very useful tool. The only times I've ever lost signal was when under rocky overhangs in narrow slot canyons or something similar on mountains, which is expected. Even with newer models available, I have no plans to replace mine.

Main product page
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=310&pvID=1210

Updates
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1245

Owner's Manual
    http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/GPSMAP60CSx_OwnersManual.pdf

Garmin MapSource
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Wrenchgear, if you decide to buy some maps, I suggest checking the Garmin site to see what version is current. I've seen older versions selling fairly cheap, but you should know what you're getting.

20. EV2

EV2 Member

Good choice. You can buy lifetime maps from Amazon for Garmin at a relatively low cost.
    Here is a link.
    lifetime Map Updates