Getting Maps for Garmin.

Discussion in 'GPS / Geocaching & Mapping Applications' started by Wrenchgear, Apr 15, 2012.

1. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

That might be a good deal if Wrenchgear wants road maps on a GPS unit not really designed for road navigation. I know a 60CSx can use the files, but those map files are designed primarily for the Garmin nuvi series, or multi-use GPS units like the Garmin Colorado. IMO, road navigation is a weak point for the 60CSx, as the screen is small, there are no voice prompts, and the controls don't lend themselves to quick access often needed on the road. A 60CSx won't give any turn based prompts, which really puts it at a disadvantage for this use. The list of features it doesn't offer for road use is long. Like I said, it can be used that way, but it's not very good for it.

If road navigation is the goal, I'd much rather put that $65 towards a true road navigation GPS - which is what I did. [;)]

2. EV2

EV2 Member

Apparently I did not make myself clear. I was not suggesting the unit as a road-use GPS. But the same lower cost Garmin maps can be purchased at other than Garmin full retail. In addition local roads, streets and towns can be an asset in hiking and cross-country use with topography maps and even for geocaching. In any case, the same maps can be purchased at less than retail was my point.

3. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

Given that someone had thrown TomTom into the mix, and some of the other comments seemed to miss the intended purpose of this model, I wasn't sure why you mentioned road maps, but that makes more sense now.

I still wouldn't bother buying any road-specific maps for a 60CSx, though. As useful as they may be for hiking or cross country use, the money would be better spent on topographical maps, which will include the same data as the road maps, plus much more useful information for the intended use. All my opinion, of course.

4. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Correct me if I'm wrong...I was under the impression that Magellan was the choice of hikers?

5. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Not True! Magellan was one the first big GPS manufacturers along with Garmin. People like what they like. Think of GPS's as computers some people like Apple and some people like the PC.
    It seems that the Garmin annually receive higher marks in "Backpacking" magazine mainly because of the aftermarket support.
    Magellan is very proprietary.
    I own both!

6. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

I don't know anything about hiking GPS units...but my experience with Garmin Nuvi, 3 different models but similar (compared to a cheap Magellan) is the are verrry slow to acquire the satellites and not as user friendly. As you say...Apples to PC! (Apples= [:(O])

7. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

I've taken several trips with friends sporting an older Magellan and a late model DeLorme hiking GPS units. The Magellan is always slow and has some other problems, but it's several years old and really should be retired. The DeLorme was pretty cool ... when it worked at all. It was finally returned. My 60CSx has always worked, every time, without fail. It's plenty fast at satellite aquisition and screen updates, and it runs for days on two eneloop AA batteries; one of the benefits of a smaller screen. The main improvements it could use are a slightly larger screen, a less confusing menu system, and a reduction in weight. All of those things are fairly minor complaints.

The GPSMAP 62st replaced the 60CSx, and it probably has its charms, but I can't justify replacing mine. It just works too well.

8. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Thanks Bearman. That was the spot I was thinking about. I've downloaded quite a few maps for my GPS and installed portions using the PC software (BaseCamp or MapSource). I've been very happy with these maps for use with hiking and geocaching. My biggest problem is the limited memory on my eTrex Legend GPS.

9. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

They have a bunch of maps for the Southwest. We don't Geocache but instead we do a lot of Rockhounding plus I use them for offroad exploring.
    Memory is really the only weakness on the Etrex but really not that bad.

10. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

IIRC, the 60CSx can address up to a 2Gb microSD card. If you're looking for a cheap upgrade from an eTrex, you might look for one on sale.

11. TwistedElvis

TwistedElvis New Member

Your Wrong! [{:)] [:D]

12. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Hi guys, Wrench getting back in on this....

Bajapup thought there was some confusion as to what I have for a GPS. It is indeed a Garmin map 60 CSx.
    My son got some free maps off the internet somewhere and we have been using them for about a month or so now and they are working just fine. When we learn more about this thing, we may need to change up to something different, but for now, its all good.

I don't use it for road driving, (I still live out of map books for my navigation), but the 60 CSx does prompt you to upcoming turns. It doesn't talk, but instead, beeps at you. You can set it to various distances before the turn for the warning. We don't bother with it at this point, but that may change.

We will be checking out some of the map links everyone provided.

Thanks
    Wrench

13. G-Man

G-Man New Member

I believe that it is very much an Apple vs PC thing. I have several gps units. Both car and hiking units. I have used a Magellan Meridian Color for geocaching for years. It is "outdated", but works very well for hiking and geocaching. My daughter has a Geomate that we use for geocaching and it works pretty well, but it is only useful for geocaching. Also I wish that it would show your position relative to the cache, but it only gives you the distance to the cache and the direction to the cache. I have used an etrex and a Magellan Triton, but go back to the Meridian because it works so well.

I have always found car gps units to be trade offs. I generally like the routing on Garmins the best, but especially for the price I like the features of the Magellans better. I have tried Garmin, Magellan, and Tom Tom. I didn't like either the routing or the interface on the Tom Tom. The Garmin routes well, but I like the Magellan interface better.

On an aside Magellan has been sold at least twice and the new owners have tweaked the interface each time. So depending on what vintage Magellan you have or have tried you may find that you like the current Magellans better or worse. I believe that the Garmin interface has stayed pretty much the same for years especially for the NUVI series

14. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

I misspoke. Compared to a road GPS, the 60CSx gives nearly useless turn prompts. [;)] Like you, I'd take paper maps over trying to use the 60CSx for much road use. I'd much rather have Lara Croft show me the correct exit, which lane to be in, and give voice prompts leading up to the turn than try to divine all of that from a beep.

15. suprz

suprz may you never doubt yourself....

I am sorry, but I have a Garmin Nuvi 1300 and it works well, BUT.. I will be da%#ed if I am going to pay for a unit, and the have to pay to get updated maps! Now I use my phone that gets updated info for FREE and I hook it up to my car stereo so I have no problems

16. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

I've seen smart phones work very well for road navigation, especially when tied with Google Streetview - amazingly useful and cool. I've also seen them flake out when they have a bad connection with their network, which a dedicated GPS shouldn't do.

My old TomTom road GPS seems to work just fine, except the touch screen apparently has decided it's no longer a touch screen, so it's now useless. The last time I looked, some TomTom models have free lifetime map upgrades, so I'll see what options I have for free or one-time fee upgrades for a new road GPS.

17. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Nice to have...but I won't pay the extra $$$ for a smart phone and the outrageous service fees. So you are paying for your updates...in a way! [RTM]

(if I didn't need a cell for job convenience-I wouldn't have one [:(O])

18. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Member

To the OP, or anyone who still needs maps for their GPS unit... you can use http://www.openstreetmap.org/ and it will download the maps to your device.

I have a Nuvi 3790 for driving and it rocks, but it isn't that great for hiking, or camping, and I have a Garmin Etrex 20 for those things.

You can use your smartphone, but most maps need cell coverage unless you want to pay for them. The GPS in the unit isn't as accurate and the battery life blows, sure you can download while you have coverage, and there are geocache apps that will download to the device.. but none of this beats a unit designed for the job IMHO, The 3790 for Driving, the Etrex20 for Hiking and the cell phone for everything else... Music, internet, calls, etc.

19. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

Agfadoc, thanks for the link. It's always good to have more sources for free stuff.

We're similarly equipped for GPS nav. I replaced my dead TomTom with a nuvi 2595LMT, which appears to have about the same feature set as your nuvi. The new eTrex series looks pretty nice. I hope you eventually wear yours out. :)

20. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Adfadoc...

Thanks for the site, I'll look into it when I get a spare minute.