getting organized

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by nannybo, Aug 4, 2010.

1. northernmum

northernmum just starting out!

We're in bear country here, and I use those plastic drawer units...for clothes. Each of my kids gets a drawer of their own (including labels with my label maker, because I am that particular [LOL]). I put DH and my clothes in a laundry basket type of bin. Food stuff lives in the tv. I have one rubbermade bin for cooking stuff (pots, pans, utensils), one for dishes and cups and cutlery, and I'm going to add another smaller one for stuff as I move it around while using it. Then I have a cooler of cold things, a cooler of "cool items" and a rubbermaid of pantry items. They all stack nicely in the back of my van at the end of the night.

For food, I'm a bit of a foodie, and I like to cook on site. So I make it easy as possible. I portion out what I need spice-wise for a meal, and put it in a small container. We ate butter chicken this last week, and I had a ziplock of frozen chicken from home in the cold cooler, a small container with spices, one with minced garlic and onion, one with the tomato paste I needed. Add together as I cooked the meal, super easy. Prep and clean up was simple too - especially since I got the kids helping with dishes [;)] To make it even easier, I could pre-portion spices and such at home and put them into ziplock bags and just toss them, but I didn't mind a bit of extra dishes. Somehow, it felt like less dishes than I do at home (with a dishwasher too!)

I keep a wash station on the go all day. One bucket of water and soap, one of bleach water, and a dishtowel nearby. It's easy to keep up on dishes that way, I've found. I switch the water out as needed. The water at our campsite was listed as "recommended for a one minute boil", so I kept the kettle on the stove and had water going for boil when needed.

We also kept all toilitries in another small rubbermaid bin in the tv, and tucked it in there at night.

2. monica4patience

monica4patience New Member

This is only our second summer with our new pop-up (former tenters). I've found that it works best to do things as we did when tenting. We cook and clean under the canopy. We have a table set up with a stack of plastic drawers that holds silverware, cups, plates and bowls. We store food bins under the table (no worry of bears). Foods bins are labeled: pantry, breakfast, bread, snack. I keep an inventory card taped to the lid so I can refill as needed. Also keep dish drainer and tray under table.The dish pans holds dirty dishes until wash time.

Inside the trailer: electric fry pan, cutting boards, stacking bowls, camping pots & pans all stay under a dinette bench which has a side door access. In the built-in drawers we keep miscellaneous utensils and containers, plastic wraps, bags and foil.

I labeled a set of pill stackers and filled with spices I might need. Most of the food is pre-planned and pre-cooked and frozen as needed.

As far as clothing goes: we each pack a dufflel bag with side pockets. The boys bags go down the middle of their queen bed making a nice blockage between the two. My bag stays on the side of our king bed against the counter. DH's bag goes on the bench at night and on the bed during the day. We keep separate bags in the TV for church, cold weather, extra shoes.

For showering: we each have a tote bag that holds our kit bag, shower shoes and clothes. Everyone is responsible for their own gear.

3. zinger60

zinger60 New Member

I've read where some people store alot of their kitchen items and even food items outside the pup in plastic bins. I am curious to know whether people have had wildlife get into them during the night. We do not live in bear country but everywhere we have camped, there are wildlife raccoons, chipmunks, squirrels, etc. Seems to me that they would get into everything. We keep everything, including coolers, either inside the camper or in the TV. I've heard stories of raccoons being pretty clever and even opening coolers and bins.

4. ak_nd

ak_nd New Member

Hi there,
    I have not had any issues with wildlife. I do keep most of the food sealed tight inside a tote so they have 2 barriers to get through but maybe they don't want to be that close to us at night. Or the dog in the camper scares them.

5. monica4patience

We have the food in bins with snap locks on them. In 30 years of camping, we have never had a problem with animals getting into our food.

6. adamteja

adamteja New Member

The squirrels around here will chew through a cooler or plastic bin in a matter of minutes. I've gone to leaving food in the car in the plastic bin. One destroyed my cooler (which only had drinks in it) over Memorial Day.

Raccoons can open bins and coolers. They will fight like little demons all night outside your camper if they find food. Not cool.

7. PattieAM

PattieAM New Member

My Niagara has pretty decent storage, so everything is permanently on board and ready for us to hook up and go after grabbing a suitcase (prefer a square laundry basket) and a cooler.

I too will place whatever for a single recipe in a ziplock bag, or pre-cook the meals and freeze prior to the trip. My cookware is stored under the sink along with onion chopper, cutting board, manual food processor, spare electric knife and other assorted goodies. A full range of ziplock bags, foil, wax paper is in an end cabinet by the range, with space allocated for the paper towels and toilet tissue. I've decided I do need a basic cookbook for the camper as many times I can look at the ingredients of a proposed meal and go 'ug' and want it to be something else.

My coffeemaker, knife block and utinsel/spice carosel are on the counter when not traveling, when on the road, they are in a tote and the dish rack/drainer fit over top of them and, the top goes on. This tote gets stored in the shower floor. I have a second big tote that carries the bathroom stuff - over the door racks, hooks, and my pink organizer which too goes over a wall on the bathroom.

All bath towels/linens are stored under the dinette seats in smaller totes/plastic boxes on the rear dinette seat side. Oscellating fan and Oscellating heater, step stool (upside down) holds my Corelle mixing bowls and big chicken fry pan, and a small tote/box holds the Riccar Vacuum and it's attachments.

The L shaped sofa has 3 totes/boxes which used to hold water, sewer and misc. items in it. I've taken to using the 18 gal Rubbermaid totes for sewer and water and all the various attachments. Clearly labeled - they get stored in the truck bed until needed.

I have 18 gal totes for 'swim things' (floats/rafts/tubes), 'cords' (misc. extension cords), 'AAR'
    which are stored on the truck. When we are camping, the totes get stacked neatly in the AAR, the water tote goes by the water inlet, sewer near the sewer outlet.

I did have an 'over the sink' chuck box made to hold my Corelle set and cups/glasses/napkin holder, sugar bowl. And a separate box which will sit on top to hold my flatware and specialty items (corkscrew, sieve, jar opener, serving flatware).

8. pony280

pony280 Pony 280

Where are you camping with no worry of bears? Even in Michigan's LP, there have been bear sightings. In Lansing, there was one living in the Wal-mart parking lot for a while. :)

9. monica4patience

We're in Dorr, south of Grand Rapids. Just talked with the owners the other day and they said there's no bears around here.

10. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

The wife just keeps a small list of items needed before during and after the trip, usually just clothers and food, and any plates or replaceable things needed. Otherwise we always put stuff in the same place everytime (unless the 2 or 8 year old get it and move it) and usually no problems with that.