Getting Popup into Garage

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by Nani2, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

We have moved and had trouble getting the camper into the garage. It is a side entry and we have to disconnect from tow vehicle and push it into the garage. That's not the problem-- we have done that at our old house with the same side entry setup.
    This garage is raised about an inch from the driveway, I think to keep water out. It was really hard to get it over the bump and we actually tore the concrete up a little. We made a makeshift ramp with cardboard boxes which helped a little but it was still hard to get the tires to go up and over.
    What can we do to make this easier and not damage the concrete or end up in the dining room?

2. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

It's kinda expensive, but the Trailer Valet is a pretty awesome trailer dolly. And it has brakes. :)

Sjm9911 and Nani2 like this.
  3. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I mounted a small atv winch to the floor at the back of my garage and I pull my very heavy high wall pup into the garage by the tongue. It works great.

HappyTraveler, xxxapache and Nani2 like this.
  4. Adam Connolly

Adam Connolly Member

Inflate your tires so that they are harder it will roll better. Just put like another 10psi in each then let the air out.

5. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Are there any ideas for a better ramp we could set up to get them up when we need to push it in?
    Maybe plywood under the cardboard to create a gradual rise?

6. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Interesting thought. Our tires were fully inflated. This sounds like a lot of work each time.

7. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

That is a pretty cool tool. If you could only see our tiny garage--no where to store it.

8. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

You're supposedly able to travel with it attached to the tongue. I don't allow that, but it does stay attached/on/under the popup while in the garage.

As far as keeping the popup out of the living room, have some 2x4s about where you want the wheels to stop.

I could see making a ramp (or a pair of ramps) with a hardwood floor reducer strip. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Zamma-H...urpose-Reducer-Molding-014383062816/206740084

That sorta thing.

9. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I would either make some mini wooden ramps or buy a boat winch to pull it over the hump. Attach the winch to the garage wall and crank it in!

SHFL and Nani2 like this.
  10. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

That could work!!! They also have one that's 3/4 inch that would work better. Thanks so much. We could store it standing up in a corner and lay it down when we come home.
    And we did place the chocks to stop the camper from going too fast.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  11. RobertZ

RobertZ New Member

I use a $60 trailer dolly from Amazon to move my 3500 lb HW PopUp around in the garage. It gives me enough leverage to push the trailer over that 1” lip just as you mentioned. It also allows me to precisely position the camper In my garage.

Previously, I had a side load garage with a similar issue and bought an 8” drop hitch that I used to lower the coupler and raise the back of the trailer enough that I could keep it hooked up and just back it in. You might see if that’s an option assuming your unhooking because you are hitting the stabilizers or rear bumper.

12. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

We use a motorized jockey wheel, I was not sure it would do the job but it does ok up out incline.
    They are about $250 online.

[​IMG]

BillyMc likes this.
  13. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

Blackripley, what brand do you have.

14. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

That is just awesome! Right now I'm still capable of muscling it, but I'm sure that in 5 to 10 years, I'm either going to say screw it and give up the popup, or want something like this. I had no idea this type of product existed. I love it.

15. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

16. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I also have an issue getting my camper into the garage. I have about a 1.5" step to get onto the garage slab. I push the camper up against the step and then I jack it up with a floor jack from inside the garage and put a 2-6 under the wheel. I then do the same to the other side and push the camper into the garage.

17. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

The tires damaged the concrete, or is something else hitting it?

Wont make it any easier to push it up and over that bump, but to protect the concrete you could just lay a piece of wood down (roughly same height as the raised concrete) parallel to that garage opening. That way whatever is tearing up that concrete hits the wood first (instead of the concrete) and then leaves you at the correct height. With a little work/skill you could taper the other edge of that wood and essentially make a ramp. You could also use pieces of metal (something like diamond plate could be strong enough) to create ramps roughly the same width as the tire. Lay the metal down to bridge the concrete when moving the trailer and then they could just lay on the ground under the popup the rest of the time.

18. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Use a piece of plywood as a ramp.
    Have a riding mower you could put a hitch on? You'd be surprised how much a riding mower will move.

1380ken likes this.
  19. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

I have to ask. How do you get the camper out of the garage?

20. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I have a trailer dolly I use to steer it out. I have about 10 feet of sloped driveway before a long flat area. Once I am out of the garage and on the flat I can spin the pup around with the dolly and then back the truck into the driveway, hook up to the pup and pull straight out.

HappyTraveler likes this.