Getting ready for when the CG's opens

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by tenttrailer, Apr 11, 2020.

1. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Ohio canceled 2 of my reservations. They gave me back all my money including reservation fees. Just made reservations for 5/17, which is the the day Ohio lifts the closed for overnight camping. Now if the closed CG's is extended past 5/16. I will make new reservations for when they scheduled to open. This gives us reservations for May, June, July, Aug, and Sept.

I figure once the parks open it will be hard to make reservations at the CS's we like, for at least the first 4 to 6 weeks.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Pommom70 and neighbormike like this.
  2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Yes, we thought the same, that once things open up people are going to be rescheduling trips that were canceled. We have left the reservations we already had, August in Wyoming & Thanksgiving in AZ, since those seem safe enough. We just made the reservations for our October trip to Grand Canyon, as 6-month reservation windows opened. No problems getting the ones for the campgrounds in Grand Canyon. For our first/last nights at the Flagstaff KOA, there were only a couple left our first choice of type of site, so we were glad we made those when we did. It may be a bit more iffy for Courtenay to get a backpacking permit for South Rim, since so many will likely be trying for replacements for cancelled permits. (For hikers with canceled permits, they have hiker credit for 2 years instead of one, but also get to apply a month early to use it.)
    I do have one SOTF event in early June, so we'll see if things are fully open by then.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I hope you get to go camping, nothing worse than having reservations cancelled several times and of course the "not knowing when"

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Screenshot_20200411-201658_Samsung Internet.jpg was looking like you ,and came across this. Not good. I get this koa osnt great, but it was near where we had a house. Now closed for the year. There is another site close thats a state campground, but they cant be booked now. Im hopeing its not a total loss this year. Im still looking......and hoping.

5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

^^ That’s insane!! I honestly don’t think people are going to take this crap much longer... you can not stop living.

1380ken likes this.
  6. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

I have TN SP resv in July.
    I hope common sense prevails by then.

What if it never goes away, we never have a vaccine and our only hope is to build natural immunity?
    Will it have to mow its way through the entire human race several times before it’s effect on humans is diminished to something similar to a common cold?
    Will we hide under a rock for 2-4 years waiting?

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Many would argue it already is, particularly experts in the field, anything less is to invite disaster. :eek:

Possibly, but that's better than the alternative. o_O As far as camping is concerned my own view is that this season is toast, not going to happen. :sad: With virology experts around the world suggesting a vaccine that proves effective for the masses is easily 18 months away this lock down life we're all now dealing with may well become our "new norm" for quite some time yet to come. Better to get used to it and adjust our habits than argue pointlessly that we can't "live under a rock for 2 - 4 years waiting" - believe it, we will if necessary. ;)

TravelChic56 and Melissa Freeman like this.
  8. crackerJack

Stay smart stay free.
    Or are we to dumb to be free?

I am waiting for the day our KY governor tells us that his studies now show that taking guns away from citizens will help fight the spread of the virus......

Pommom70 and neighbormike like this.
  9. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Free to be dead - that's smart? [;{}]

Melissa Freeman likes this.
  10. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

It will be interesting to see what will happen. Only history will tell us how it should have been done. Right now it seems to be the blind leading the blind, and know one knows where they are going.

But for me I'm going to keep scheduling camping trips. If they get canceled, so be it, and schedule another trip. Which reminds me it's time to schedule October camping.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  11. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I think there are plenty of smart people who know what needs to be done (what should have been done), but unfortunately politics got in the way.

DW and I returned on Saturday from a week at our favorite state park campsite. Living in a major metro area, we figured we were better off in a county whose population is only 10,000 than at home. We had the campground pretty much to ourselves during the week but several others showed up for the weekend.

We'll probably do it again in a week or so.

Adam H and neighbormike like this.
  12. crackerJack

“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery”
    Thomas Jefferson

We should take this serious, but we don’t have to be sheep.

13. neighbormike

14. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

And just to add some data: .005% dead from COVID-19. COVID-19 has been infecting and spreading throughout the U.S. for almost 3 months. CDC still holding projection that 80% of U.S. population will have little to no effects from COVID-19 exposure.

The concern (given data projections) is the possibility of 60 million U.S. citizens have temporary lung damage. Will it take 2 months or 2 years for full recovery. To put that into context, walking pneumonia greatly affects lungs, and last year's 100 day cough that went around greatly affected lungs - the U.S. did not shut down.

Health Task Force is already backing down from the 100,000 dead projection. If that trend also applies to temporary lung damage (seems reasonable) than the 60 million should be far less as well.

The whole point and strategy of flattening the curve, was to build up supplies and resources. After a couple of weeks (now one month) we have accomplished that. The U.S. is the best supplied, with the best quality of gear and supplies. We were already ahead with gear and supplies before COVID-19 and now we are by far the most well supplied - no other country in the world is even close.

If any country can restart their society, it is certainly the U.S.
    Sweden, Switzerland and others are already fully running - with far less resources than the U.S.

Given the supplies and the data, it is simply time to restart the U.S. Any argument stating that it is not time to restart, given our supplies and data, is a statement of never restarting - and that is unacceptable, especially to a U.S citizen who's life is based on freedom.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  15. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I outlined my solutions on another thread and to the game and parks with no success.
    As of now my camper is cocked...Locked and ready to rock.

neighbormike likes this.
  16. Sjm9911

Dave the whole point wasn't a supply issue it was to not overwhelm the hospitals. I hope this is the ending of it, but if it isnt, you guys down south haven't even hit the beginning of it yet. I want to go out and do stuff as much as anyone else. But i rather not kill a bunch of people in the process. Its bad up here and the numbers aren't in yet. In nj , 65,000 cases 2500 dead. Im sure the case number of the affected will go up and make it not as fatal. So there is that. The thing that makes this bad is the quickness of the spread, and not knowing if you are a carrier or not. Plus it moves quickly to sick to dead in like 7 days. We are now starting to body removals in homes.

17. Melissa Freeman

Melissa Freeman New Member

There are NO experts about this virus. But I will not pretend to be smarter than the doctors that are giving us guidelines who have spent 10+ years on schooling, internships and whatnot. I think they're advice is more educated than Joe Blow's whose closest encounter to being a doctor is picking up some penicillin at the pharmacy.

A-Ranger12 and GreyFox like this.
  18. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I have all my backpacking gear ready. Camping 2020 is boots on the ground sore backs and hammocks.

neighbormike likes this.
  19. neighbormike

De-winterizing this weekend and bought some “staples??”....
    AF939C57-50D6-493C-8574-4C4FCA4499BD.jpeg

20. Sjm9911

Last year that would have gotten donated or tossed, now its 75 $ on craigslist [:D]

Karen Gay, Melissa Freeman and kcsa75 like this.