Getting Ready to Take The Plunge

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by cl00bie, Sep 4, 2019.

1. cl00bie

cl00bie New Member

We have been camping in our 2002 Forest River Flagstaff for about 10 years, and we were getting tired of crank and pull and pull and lift and support and tuck and does the door go before the sink or after...

So, my wife was searching for "popups for sale" and we saw our first A-Frame. We immediately fell in love with the concept. We began looking at floor plans, and YouTube videos on how to set it up. I even ran across a guy who did a video while he and his wife were riding out Hurricane Felicia in a Rockwood a122.

We are giving serious thought to a 2015 Rockwood a122s. There is just the wife and I now, and we may take the two grandchildren at some point, so I figure this this will be just enough for us.

Tom and Teresa and Rik Peery like this.
  2. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Think Tom&Teresa have this one or similar, they love theirs, maybe they'll see this post...

Tom and Teresa likes this.
  3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Welcome from N/W Fl panhandle. Lots of campers love the A frame. Good Luck and happy Camping

4. Tom and Teresa

Tom and Teresa Member

From Tom and Teresa in Greenville, Va...we have the 2016 Rockwood A214 HW. What all that means is that we have an A-frame that is the 214 model (has the bathroom) and is a high wall...it’s a taller camper allowing the countertops to be taller, more like what you have in your home. It also gives more head room over the edge side of bed. We LOVE it! Hope you find exactly what you want and enjoy!

5. Tom and Teresa

Tom and Teresa Member

A guy not far from us has a 2006 Aliner with king size bed for sale for $4000. His wife passed away unexpectedly...they were really looking forward to using it a lot more. Makes me sad.

Rik Peery likes this.
  6. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

Our A-frame camper is a high wall with a little larger box than the Rockwood you are considering, but goes up and down just as quickly and easily. Two small children can sleep in the dinette bed with their heads at opposite ends. You may want to add a small backpacking tent for the rare occasions you have an older grandchild camp with you. Our camper is just right for us. I hope you find the right camper for the two of you.

7. Lost in Space

Lost in Space Active Member

My wife and I camped in a pop up for the last 15 yrs. And we loved it. But we want to start doing trips that are more than one days drive from home. Stopping for an overnight in a pop up is doable but far from ideal. The Super fast set up of an A frame plus the towing advantages convinced us and we just bought a 2019 Aliner Expedition. It is perfect. We plan some long vacations with multiple stops and further destinations than we would ever have considered with our pop up.

8. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. May want to drop by "Introduce Yourself" and post so the members can get to know you. We do one and two nights a lot. Two 10 day trips around Florida and to the Keys. Kentucky trip coming up with one night stop overs.

9. Trailster

Trailster New Member

The a frames are nice. I just bought a 2017 A213HW. It's the model with the toilet in it. The shower is outside. I have only camped in the yard with it so far. I need to jack it up and check the brakes and bearings plus I have been sealing a few open joints. There is always maintenance on RV's. I too came from a 1997 Rockwood tent trailer. The tent trailer was basic with no hot water and a crummy frig, which I took out and put an ice box in. I am excited about it. My wife and I and Archie, the dog fit just right. I am 70 years old and with bad knees. I had a hard time setting up the tent trailer. But the A frame is a snap. It's got a power front lift and you just use your drill and your scissor jacks come right down. I bought it because I wanted to camp and not take my house with everything in it camping.

Lost in Space and Tom and Teresa like this.
  10. Tom and Teresa

Tom and Teresa Member

That’s AWESOME!!! You will love it!! So happy for you. You’ll be glad you have the higher counters too!

11. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

I just purchased a 2003 Rockwood PU tent camper and just got done with the new tires and wheel bearing thing.
    So how does the lift system on these A frames work and is it reliable? Weight of the unit, and we have a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 pickup with electric brake setup for a camper but I am wondering how these tow? Thanks folks in advance.

12. Tom and Teresa

Tom and Teresa Member

Husband says lift system works well if it’s manual...electric system doesn’t last long. You have plenty enough truck to tow it; just make sure you have a sway control. They tow like a dream! Enjoy!

Rik Peery likes this.
  13. Tom and Teresa

Tom and Teresa Member

We didn’t know Rockwood made A-frames in 2003.

14. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

This is what I posted…. I just purchased a 2003 Rockwood PU tent camper and just got done with the new tires and wheel bearing thing.

I was or am interested in how A frames work and the benefits of one.

15. Tom and Teresa

Tom and Teresa Member

Oh I understand. Sorry about that. We love how easy ours is to tow and how we can still see out the rear view mirror. We also love that we don’t have to tear down our dinette for our bed. Ours has a queen size heated mattress. We can still make a small bed out of the dinette though. It’s nice having the dormer and bathroom as well. The bathroom provides privacy even if you never use the shower. It’s very maneuverable too. Hope that helps.

16. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

How long does it take to setup? Like the idea of a bathroom but we had one in our Casita when we went to Alaska 2013 and never used the shower, the other part we used a lot. Very interested.

17. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  18. Econ

Econ Active Member

My take on message #11 is he bought a 2003 PU and now might be having second thoughts. He now wants to compare it to A Frames.

Mine is an Aliner Expedition. It is the largest Aliner model but smaller than the Rockwoods, etc. I think they are around 2600 pounds and the Expedition about 1,900. Aliners are aimed at the car/suv as TVs. Mine is a 15' box. The roof panels are 7' wide and 9' long. It is a 'base" model. No dormers. Does have a cassette toilet. Fortunately no interior shower.

The 2014 model is bigger than the pre 2010 models.

This morning I was 6' tall and 138 pounds. I unlatch the roof, stand on the top step and heave ho the front panel upward. Quickly the rear panel is grabbed and prevented from falling back. You walk your hands rearward pushing the rear panel up til it locks. By pushing the rear panel upward it in turn pushes the front panel up. You are raising both panels at the same time.

My understanding is some Aliners have nitrogen cartridges to assist in the raising and electric jacks. I do it the old fashion way. To prove my low IQ, <<GG>>, I am about to add 20+pounds of solar to the rear panel. It has 4 springs, one built in to each corner, to assist in the raising. The older the springs the more effort you must exert.

19. Econ

Econ Active Member

After you level it, crank down the stabs, and normal stuff like you have to do on any camper raising the roof is a minute or two.

20. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

I am sure Econ meant nitrogen struts My understanding is some Aliners have nitrogen cartridges to assist in the raising
    I also saw a online dealer video that showed a Rockwood A Frame? Being raised and it looked pretty fast and easy. In any event a learning event from the folks that replied. No I was not having second thoughts about the PU, just interested in learning new things, new ways. Even at 76 and retired I still never seem to have enough time for the new hobbies. CNC 4x4 ft router, muzzleloading (again), prairie dog hunting, reloading and shooting 45ACP and now camping (again), after selling a wonderful hardside two years ago…. oh and forgot ham radio..the list goes on.

Lost in Space and Tom and Teresa like this.