Getting rid of fold down kitchen

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by MeaganS, Oct 6, 2021.

1. MeaganS

MeaganS Member

After my latest trip, our fold down kitchen completely broke. As in each panel separated and it is in many pieces. I'm considering just removing it altogether rather than fixing it. It includes the sink and a propane stove.

Im concerned that I will miss them. I never really use them now, though. We usually camp without hookups. In fact, I've never camped with water hookups before. So I don't think we'll miss the sink. And I usually use an induction stove or our coleman stove outside anyways. Have any of you completely removed the kitchen (leaving the lower half?) I'm thinking about just making a cushion and turning it into seating. Or maybe a place to store suitcases when it's popped open.

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I never removed mine, but in the 15 years that I owned my last pop up, I never used it. Most of the time, it had either a suitcase or a portable AC on it.

3. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I never camp with hookups so the kitchen is pretty important to me. I'm wondering what kind of batteries you use to run induction without hookups....:p

If my kitchen broke I'd replace it with something that worked better for me. What would work better for you is storage/seating. Go for it!

4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

We camp exclusively with hookups. Sink gets used daily for brushing teeth, hand washing, etc. I do dish cleanup outside with tubs or using the the sink in my camp kitchen. I got rid of the factory stove so I could get counterspace instead.

Lots of people remove their stoves and sinks, but I am not one of them. Having the sink inside is one of the many reasons I got a pup. I would think that we would continue to use the sink if we camped without hookups as well.

5. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

Me too...

6. MeaganS

MeaganS Member

Nothing that fancy, I just run it off a generator when we're boondocking with no one around. Or if we happen to be somewhere with electric hookups, which happens way more often than water.

7. Katskamper

Katskamper Well-Known Member

i rebuilt mine!
    stove flamed out, so its out, now using a one burner butane when i gotta cook inside. (too cold/windy/ wet& dark)
    replaced crappy plastic sink w stainless steel sink & reconfigured top layout. moved sink to left, away from front bed.
    went girly & tiled it w floor pops vinyl tile. added drawers to dead space.

and i think it looks fabulous.
    4B38FF88-3FB5-45AC-8A10-08AD945BFB5B.jpeg

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Just something to note if you do do away with the upper portion of the gally . On some units the kill switch may be resting under that upper part so if you may need to relocate the kill switch so you don’t accidentally leave your lights on.
    I personally only use the inside stove/sink if it’s absolutely awful outside aka sideways rain so where I camp I would say two to three times a season. A wash tub and a water cooler work just as well for most everything, you just need to go outside to dump in your gray water bucket. So that wouldn’t bother me. Did it all through my tent years and I can set it up wherever I feel like. However If the weather is awful, I’m warming soup up inside or heating water. That would be the thing I will miss. Everyone is different and camp in different areas. I dry camp most of the time so have to rely on propane or campfire for cooking. If you have electric your options are more open.

Westcoast likes this.
  9. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

Any Mod I make to my camper, I try to make removable if necessary. That way if I sell the camper I can restore it to its original conditions for the new buyer. If you want to remove the Galley, go ahead. Then restore or repair it and keep it in the garage just in case you change your mind sometime down the road. I think a camper without a sink and stove would not sell very fast... if at all.

Westcoast likes this.
  10. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

we romoved our portable sink-cooktop unit and replaced it with a custom portable cooktop with extra storage and extra counter space. We use portable containers for water and sink greywater

Westcoast likes this.
  11. B C Ambrose

B C Ambrose New Member

12. B C Ambrose

B C Ambrose New Member

I removed the fold down sink/stove in my 85 coleman columbia many years ago, as well as the propane tank. I always cook outside on coleman propane camp stove.
    During my current refurbishing I replaced the cabinet, building one with doors and a full lift up lid. Now that there is just two of us it may be the spot for a porta potty

13. ltatlock

ltatlock New Member

I removed our fold down kitchen and installed a shelf in place. We never cook in the camper and do not use the sink. Now there is plenty of room on the floor for packing our gear.

14. F. Jake Glotz

F. Jake Glotz New Member

I like to keep my trailer with stock equipment. And I do this more for resale than I do for my own personal preference. We use The sink every time we camp for brushing teeth washing dishes and hands. We don’t use the stove very often, but have used it when it was raining or too windy. Sometimes I think I’m just “leasing” the trailer and it will go back to another owner when I upgrade.

15. Marc&Laura

Marc&Laura New Member

We removed the uncomfortable dinette and the following year the galley on our Coleman 95 Rio Grande. Sink never worked for us and we always used the stove outside. We added an event table and more functional storage drawers underneath. We kept the stove and still hook it up outside and have a fishing table with a sink outside. Haven't regretted removing it at all.

Attached Files: