Gettysburg??

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Nate W, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Nate W

Nate W New Member

My seven year old son loves camping and is interested in the civil war. He about lost it when he found out we could visit Gettysburg. Does anyone have experience with any campgrounds in the area. Most look private and pretty decent. Wouldn’t like to be crammed in too much. Thanks in advance.
    Nate

2. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

It's been a few years but we had a couple great trips to Codorus state park, which isn't too far. 40 minutes maybe? Large park with many loops, small lake and a pool. I do seem to remember the campsites being very close together, but both trips were holiday weekends that we booked last minute and got the last site in the park, so your mileage may vary!

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I’ve camped in Granite Hill Camping resort. Lots of nice sites, some bigger than others my favorite section are the z sites myself as it’s quieter. Cleanish bathrooms although people do tend to leave the door open so bugs get in. Prices are expensive as it is a resort, but it has multiple playgrounds , pool and on weekends a DJ and kid events. I’ve gone here for many years as the kid loved the big playground and pool. Big field to run in as well so impromptu kickball games have occurred on occasion. It can be noisy during the day as it is a family campground, but in my experience most people follow quiet hour with a few exceptions unfortunately. Town of Gettysburg is not too far from there and one of the stops on the audio tour is a short distance down the road from there.

4. dabsond

dabsond Member

5. mdcamping

mdcamping Member

Gettysburg Campground is probably the closest to all the battlefields, were were there some yrs ago, we thought it was a well run family campground, the good reviews reflect that.

Mike

6. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

there is also Caledonia state park - a bit closer to Gettysburg than Pine Grove Furnace state park. Both are good - Pine Grove Furnace has a lake for swimming, Caledonia has a pool (campers get a reduced rate for the pool). I understand that Caledonia has recently renovated the Chinquapin Hill camping area - they were supposed to do the bathhouses - they needed it).

7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

In 2009 we stayed at Drummer Boy Campground. A few minutes from the battlefields and not far from the visitors center either. Nice campground and nice swimming pools!

8. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

I camped with friends at Gifford Pinchot SP, Lewisberry PA in April 2018. Really nice park. We made a day trip to Gettsburg—about a 35min drive.

9. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

mattlreese likes this.
  10. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

I am a KOA person. While I have not yet stayed at the KOA in Gettysburg, I olan to this summer. I have stayed at a lot of KOA's and based on the reviews I think the one in Gettysburg is a safe bet.