gettysburgh

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by ryan_0029, May 7, 2014.

1. ryan_0029

ryan_0029 New Member

Hello, I just bought a pop up camper and we thought about taking a trip to gettysburgh this summer anyone have any suggestions on what a good and nice campground is there to stay at?

2. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

2006, we were heading up to the Poconos, we passed through Gettysburg w our kids (12 -15yr) range since WE thought is was a great historic educational moment.

It was pouring rain, rain was 2" on the road, but it let up every 15 min. We stopped by the visitor center, bought the self guided CDs and were off.

The kids could have cared less about where those grey guys were at, or where the blues were positioned....

BUT, they remember that trips! And that is the important thing!

3. pasnowlady

pasnowlady Member

Gettysburg Campground is family owned and has a creek that runs right along one side of it. They have activities on the weekends and have a good website too.

4. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

We were due east in Narvone PA. Stayed at Lake-in-wood campground. We went to Gettysburg from there. I would have stayed in Gettysburg but needed handicapped access. All the campgrounds near there were not accessable and had gravel roads.

Enjoy Gettysburg. Highly recommend the museum and the driving tour.
    Jerry in MA

5. Jeepin Dad

Jeepin Dad New Member

We stay at Pine Grove Furnace State Park, it is one of our favorite state parks we have two weekends planned there this year. It has large wooded sites, two lakes, a Appalachian Trail Museum, the furnace remains and is about 30 minutes North of Gettysburg

6. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

We stayed at Calidonna State Park. Electric at the sites, no water though. Bathhouse was clean and the hosts were awesome. About 20 minutes down the street from Gettysburg.

7. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

We stayed at Mountain Creek Campground about 20 minutes (13 miles) north of Gettysburg.

8. flash82

flash82 Member

We stayed at Granite Hill two years ago. We were under the pines near the ship playground so there were only about 5 sites there. It did need more gravel for those sites. The place wasn't too bad but we would pick something different next time.

9. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Round Top campground is supposed to be nice. I have never been there personally, but have friends that have.

10. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Well-Known Member

I'll be watching this thread as we're also interested in campgrounds in the area. We plan to spend some time visiting Gettysburg as part of our vacation to the East Coast this summer. :)

11. skiball

skiball New Member

Gettysburg Campground is probably the closer to the Battleground. I have looked on-line and tried to get a site along the creek (Beautiful Sites) during the reenactments over July 4 weekend but even one year before, the sites were all full. We might try a less busy time for next year. I would love to see the reenactments though...

12. smithe67

smithe67 smithe67 & bdb15905

We are going to Drummer Boy Campground on May 17, 2014 we will let everyone know how it was. This will be our first time at this campground we have stayed at the KOA there.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

13. stef234237

stef234237 Member

Drummer boy is nice we stayed there last August.

14. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

We camped at Cunningham Falls State Park, Thurmont, MD last time we went to Gettysburg. It is about 30 min south of the battlefield.

It is one of our favorites. As another mentioned, Pine Grove Furnace is also 30 min away and a beautiful park. We were there for the first time last fall. Hope to visit again.

We generally don't do private campgrounds, I need more room for hiking. Saw one leaving the battlefield [Drummer Boy or Gettsburg] and the sites were real close together. Not my cup of tea, but if you are looking for close to the battlefield, it was.

I can't speak to Caledonia. I've not been there for 25-30 years.

15. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

Granette hill campground is a nice campground with lots of things to do with Kids. However it is expensive and can get quite crowded. Tour the campground to dermine the best site for your family. There are few sites with full hookups and they usually fill up fast. My little side kick loves the playgrounds the putt putt and the dancing and other activities. Spends nearly all day in the pool. Some sited are better than others. I like the campground but very hefty in price.

16. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen Gold Supporting Member

We stayed at Caledonia State Park last October. Sites were nice. Bathrooms had seen better days. Not sure if it was because it was near the end of the season, but they needed help.

17. sebring96hbg

sebring96hbg New Member

This is true of the main campground on the hill.

18. smithe67

smithe67 smithe67 & bdb15905

[​IMG]
    This was our site at Drummer Boy Camping Resort for this weekend. The bathhouse looks really nice and there is a camp store and snack bar. Everyone is really nice. It is less than 10 minutes from the visitor center. It has alot of shade at most spots.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk