GFI keeps tripping

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by randy_1981, Jul 12, 2019.

1. randy_1981

randy_1981 New Member

Well, the problem turned out to be crossed wiring. I guess I had too much pride to go back and check my work at first =p. Thanks to all who have helped, and if you ever find yourselves in northwest Indiana, give me a shout, and I’ll but you a beer! Likewise, if you’re ever up this way, try and camp at Indiana Dunes State Park. It’s right off Lake Michigan, you’ll think you’re at the ocean! Thanks again!

2. Fless

Fless Active Member

Glad you got it fixed, and thanks for posting the solution! Happy camping.
    _

3. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

Just so people understand what a GFCI receptacle is doing. It's measuring the different in the current flowing through the hot and neutral and trip at 5mA (.005 amp) difference. They don't care about the ground and in fact are required by the National Electrical Code (USA, no idea what CEC requires for our friends to the north) when you replace an old two wire receptacle (NEMA 1-15, 1-20) without a ground with a receptacle with a ground pin (NEMA 5-15, 5-20). New current generation GFCIs will not reset if the wiring is incorrect, as noted by the OP's post.

4. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

When I read the title of this thread, my initial thought was "LSD in the electrical supply?"

Don't judge.