Giant City SP Illinois

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by ill.plainsman, Jul 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

Ok we are headed out to Giant City State Park. Southern Illinois at its finest. On the weekend of the 9th to 11th of August . A bit of a drive, 3.3 hours from Champaign but Im sure we can make it. We haven't been able to get out since the spring rally. My brother stopped by and said we needed to get out. I guess its showing all this shingling Ive been doing. So we are going for a good long walk or a bike ride. Even a campfire of course. It looks like its all under the trees so lets hope the temperatures are good. Site #15 , Stop by Ill buy you all a cup of coffee. I got to practice my cast iron. I got some ideas. oh o.

BillyMc likes this.
  2. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

We DW and I just got back from Giant City State Park in Southern Illinois. This park is nice with plenty of shade. Very old Gum, Oak, Hickory, and Tupelo & Persimmon trees. Now this is the middle of summer so there were not very many seeps but there still were a few. Spring would be a very slick but very beautiful time to see this part of the Shawnee Forest. There are some very deep gorges that have some overlooks that would look gorgaous in the fall. This summer it just about took my breath away. There are some limestone cliffs that you will want to be careful about.
    Even tho the campgrounds are a couple miles away from the trails they are still pretty accessible. The campground was just updated quit a bit last year, with a grant to the park that I think must have been over a million dollars. What they did was re surface the campground parking pads and roads with new asphalt. And they got a new dump station too. They also fixed or replaced the visitor center parking lot and the cabin parking lots. Although I have never been down there before the host says the upgrades are extensive. I thought it was very nice not to be vibrated out of my seat. The trails are pretty much the same after all, the rocks have been there for thousands of years. I spent a couple of hours climbing trails and having a great time, even though I have COPD. Even tho its a slight case, it still tasked my breath. However stops can be often enough to allow good breaths every few minutes. There are different grades of difficulty for different trails. The story is that the indians had never seen a skyscraper but thought the rocks must have been put there by giants. After going through here I can see how the trails look like it was built by giants. Row on Row of apartments . Some of the trees must be over 2 or 300 years old. Amazing. We will be back. Probably at different seasons.
    I got some great pictures if I can figure out how to post them here. Anyway visited should be made to this area and this park Do yourself a favor come see this place.

Kate Sullivan, Jimtom and kgesiako like this.
  3. Kate Sullivan

Kate Sullivan New Member

I love Giant City, haven’t been there since the 70’s, way pass due! After reading your post, I can’t wait to take a trip back to Illinois!!

4. Tracy R

Tracy R New Member

Hi, just back from our first trip to Giant City State Park, thought I'd add to this thread. The sites were somewhat close together, but deep. The scale on the reservation site is about right. If the sites look super close together on the map, they are very close together! The showers were clean and warm, which we really appreciated. There isn't much nearby in the way of ice or firewood, except the Little Grassy Campground store about 5 miles away (but it closes at 5 so plan ahead!). There are vineyards nearby so we checked those out. :) For hiking, I'd strongly recommend the Trillium Trail and Giant City Nature Trail. Both were a bit rugged in spots, and overall just stunning. The Lodge and Visitors Center were also really nice, and worth stopping by. The park was maybe 25% full, and we should have tried to move spots once we got there, as ours was really muddy from the rain. Lesson learned on that one. Overall, it was really nice, and a steal for only $20 a night with electric.

5. lilspanisheddie

lilspanisheddie Member

If all goes well, I will be headed there tomorrow for the weekend. I already made reservations without knowing much about this park. I am surprised to find posts for this park on this site and now I'm really anxious to go visit. I will report my stay after we return. We will see what a couple years has done to the park. They supposedly reopen this weekend so I'm hoping it's not very crowded.

kcsa75 and CamperChrissy like this.
  6. lilspanisheddie

lilspanisheddie Member

This is a really pretty area and we are heading out for hiking This afternoon. This campground is clean as is the bath house. Sites are small and some I can’t believe how close people are to each other. I’m at site 20. Wasn’t to sure I’d like the spot but actually like it a lot. Lots of trees and no one next to us. Park is quiet and it was a very peaceful night

I’ve never been to a park with sites only having electricity. Usually I see water only or water and electric. That was a little different than normal but it allowed us to use the fresh tank and water pump. I need to figure out how to gauge the water level.

There also isn’t a fire ring. Some sites have them and some are just like little square grills On the ground. Couldn’t make a decent camp fire. Burnt a bunch of sticks to at least get some sort of fire for awhile. There is quite a bit of mud at our site so we are dealing with mosquitos but that’s no big deal. The parking pad is gravel and pretty level side to side and it was easy to back in and set up. The pad isn’t much wider than the PUP so not a lot of room to set out chairs or your sitting in mud.

We are enjoying the peace and quiet and nice weather. I would come back. I like the spot but hope they will get a fire ring on this site.