Gila NF info

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by SteveP, May 21, 2019.

1. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

We're planning a trip to Gila NF this fall. Would like any info about dispersed camping and NF campgrounds near the cliff dwellings and Silver City. Will be towing the unlifted Jayco with the 2wd Silvey but have no fear of gravel roads.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We haven't been to the Gila in years, it's on the list to get back to - it may be an area to meet up with out freinds from AZ. I'm going to a Sisters on the Fly event near Silver City this summer. Penny may be able to help you, I know she's posted about camping north of Mimbres.
    Definitely check out the USFS website. I also watch the FB page and they post about road conditions, current fires, and so on.

4. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Well Steve this is your lucky post. The Gila is one of our favorite places to go to get away from everyone or go visit hot-springs. How remote do you want to be? Snow Lake/Dipping Vat State Park https://goo.gl/maps/4Chp6wNckKUR2GNn9 is really a great place to go. It is 2.5 hours down a logging road from Reserve NM recommended route or left turn off of HWY 12 to Bursom Road just west of Old Horse Springs quickest route 2 hours. Dipping Vat is $5 a night, clean vault toilets drinking water available and great trout fishing from the shore.
    You can also take HWY 15 north out of Silver City to Gila Hot-springs Town before you get to the Cliff Dwellings. Just before you cross the Gila River Grapevine Campground is on the right and is free, all dispersed no picnic tables but there is one vault toilet. 1/2 a mile further is Forks Campground. Our favorite with hot springs is called Gila Hot Springs Campground http://gilahotspringscampground.com/, it is a private campground requiring reservations but you will be camping on the Gila River. There is many more places to go and let me know if you have any questions.
    By the way in the fall the Elk will be in Rut in the Snow Lake area.[:D]

kitphantom likes this.
  5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@bearman512 :Sorry that I forgot about you guys going to the area!

6. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

NP Andrea

7. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you.