Gilbert Ray Campground, Tucson Mountain Park, Pima County, AZ.

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by Unstable_Tripod, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

There are no CGs in either of the Saguaro NP units (one on the east and one on the west side of Tucson) but this county park CG is so close to the western unit that it is an effective substitute. Take Speedway Blvd. (Exit 257) from I-10 and go west about nine miles. The road changes to Gates Pass Road and then to Kinney. The CG is on McCain Loop Road which leaves and reconnects with Kinney. It’s a very short run to the Saguaro NP. The CG is at about 2,400 feet of elevation.

There are 135 campsites, all with electric. Sites can be reserved. Any non-reserved site is FCFS.
    Roads are paved and sites have level crushed rock. Various species of bushes and large rocks provide pretty good privacy. Cacti, especially saguaro, abound. The sites are large (easy to fit trailer and TV) and while close, are not jammed together. Each site has a table but no fire ring because fires are not permitted (charcoal grills are OK). The fee is $20 per night. I had site A74. I didn’t understand the naming system because the CG has Loops A, B (tents only), C & H. Water spigots are spaced around the loops and each loop has a rest room with flush toilets. There are also trash facilities and a dump station. Generators are not allowed. Quiet hours are 10:00 PM to 8:00 AM.

The fact that there is a seven day limit tells me that this park is a popular place in cooler weather. I’m sure a lot of snowbirds stay there. When I arrived in mid-afternoon, however, it was 104F and only 12-14 sites were occupied. This made it very quiet at night. That, the warm weather and starry skies (except to the east where Tucson is) made this a very pleasant place to stay. I liked it and would have stayed longer if it hadn’t been $20/night.

I forgot to take pictures of my campsite in Gilbert Ray CG but this view from the Saguaro NP is very representative of the campground.
    [​IMG]

2. Bacon n Eggs

Bacon n Eggs New Member

Wow I have lived in Tucson 8 years and never been to this one thank you for the post!

3. Unstable_Tripod

You're very welcome.

4. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

We drove through this campground one day after stopping by the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum (a GREAT place to visit, by the way). It did look like a nice place, and is between Old Tucson Studios and ASDM, very close to the National Park West. It's close enough to Tucson for easy shopping trips, but far enough out that it shouldn't feel like "urban camping."

There are hiking trails in the area, and for astronomy buffs, Kitt Peak is an easy drive west on Ajo Road, which is at the south end of the road this campground is on.

5. sallugo

sallugo Member

Wow! Never knew this place existed here! This would be a great overnighter! Going to try this out very, very soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Curious, what are all those little question marks in your text there? Usually evidence of cut and paste? Well shoot! I should have thought of that. Would make it a lot easier to tell the story....here I go and spell it all out myself when I post, duh. Anyway, how much longer are you in AZ for?

7. Unstable_Tripod

Actually, it's not cut and paste from some other source. I often write my longer posts in WORD and then copy/paste from my WORD file into the Portal reply box. Some characters don't map across the two systems and that causes the little question marks. Apostrophes, quotation marks and hyphens are examples of characters that do that.

I'm no longer in Arizona. I was there from April 24 to May 26 earlier this year. You can read about my trip in the "Let Me Tell You about My Trip" forum under the thread title, "Another Great Southwestern Tour."

8. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

LOL you do that in Word too? I wonder why mine doesn't do that? Oh well...

9. SR2K

SR2K New Member

I stayed in this campground this past January, it was absolutely lovely, the local desert fauna was a new experience for me, and the campsite was clean, comfortable and quiet. Whenever I make my way out west again I'll make sure to stay there again.

10. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

I did this video this afternoon, from the opposite end of the Brown Mountain Trail that starts across the road from the Gilbert Ray campground. In a couple of the scenes you can see the Juan Santa Cruz Picnic area, and a little farther away, the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum. Tucson Mountain Park is a beautiful area, and I expect to spend some more time recording it from the air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjgsItmG9Zg&feature=youtu.be