Giving a hand up to mom and pop campgrounds

cztardust

Super Active Member
May 29, 2013
We normally spend our camping trips at the state campgrounds, this year with the private campgrounds taking a terrible hit, we're going to spend our vacation dollars with them and share the highlights with our Popup Portal friends and encourage others to do the same. First trip is coming up in about two weeks for us. Any photos, etc you'd all like to share?

cztardust

Super Active Member
May 29, 2013
Our Governor (not Chancellor) in Indiana is on the local radio station everyday with updates. "Slowly opening the state" We don't really understand where the enforcement of the orders are legal. My wife and I both recall US title 18 from high school debate: (https://www.justice.gov/crt/deprivation-rights-under-color-law) that punishes officials trying to enforce orders without the weight of law... and we can't find anything that gives government extraordinary powers to suspend our Constitutional rights. (eye roll)
Let's be real, we go camping to get some space. Lol
WE'RE GOING.
The campground we made reservations with said they could not see any issue with the first week of June, but they have not called and said there was any issue or alteration of services. Hopefully Governor Holcomb will have completely backed out of the virus business by then and leave it up to the citizenry to take care of themselves where it should have stayed. I can't foresee any problem other than campgrounds here trying to give the appearance of complying so they don't get messed with (sort of like Walmart's "habitrail" maze to gain entry.)
upload_2020-5-20_8-41-41.jpeg
I think we're in for a relaxing time and I do hope you are as well!
Stay safe, stay healthy! Brent.

Last edited:

cztardust

Super Active Member
May 29, 2013
Just called the campground and they are opening without restriction, just common sense precautions, may 26th here in Indiana.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I'm all for supporting the mom/pop shops, however I've had so many bad experiences at private campgrounds mainly because of other people and lack of control. If a private campground couldn't control the drunks/riff Raff before it's only going to be 10x worse now as desperate people want to get out but still fully can't. So for myself i'd rather still give my support to the state. If there was a private campground that had decent control than maybe. There is one private campground I can usually trust, but prices are still above $85 a night and you can't use any amenities. No pool, arcade, dance hall, playground,store I just can't see spending that kind of money for a grassy plot of land not much bigger than 30' x 15' that you really can't leave. Every place is different as is their experience though. Perhaps your area at least has more responsible and respectful people than those that hang out around here.

Rusty2192

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2014
Kentucky
It looks like this will be the only way I get to get the pup out for the foreseeable future. In their infinite wisdom, KY State Parks has now officially declared that pups are Second Class Citizens. No pups allowed. But they encourage TTs to use a sewage tote since we have very few sewer hookups in our SP campgrounds. I just can’t figure out how a TT dumping into a tote and then dumping that at the dump station is any different than me using a tote directly as a gray tank and then dumping that and the potty cassette into the dump station??? [?:~{]:mad::(

Last edited:

generok

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
Been doing just that the past two weekends, and will do so Memorial Day weekend too. They are all ops normal now, but the state and federal lands are opening at different times with different restrictions, so private CGs are the way to go now.
20200508_181252.jpg 20200516_071131.jpg

cztardust

Super Active Member
May 29, 2013
Really? Most of the private campgrounds in our area are fairly nice. A bit dated facilities, but no tolerance for loud mouthed ddunks, etc. It'll get you booted. That and each park offers something unique. One park by us has a setup to pan for gems. Lol kinda cool.

cztardust

Super Active Member
May 29, 2013
It looks like this will be the only way I get to get the pup out for the foreseeable future. In their infinite wisdom, KY State Parks has now officially declared that pups are Second Class Citizens. No pups allowed. But they encourage TTs to use a sewage tote since we have very few sewer hookups in our SP campgrounds. I just can’t figure out how a TT dumping into a tote and then dumping that at the dump station is any different than me using a tote directly as a gray tank and then dumping that and the potty cassette into the dump station??? [?:~{]:mad::(
No pups allowed.. lol... what does that do with anything. Most of us carry portapotties. This is what I'm talking about. People are barking orders without clear thinking.