Gizmo bunk covers first Impressions

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by vdotmatrix, Aug 5, 2020.

1. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Active Member Gold Supporting Member

I just rec’d my super duper high wind flavor gizmo for my popup camper. I got the velcro option.

When I carried the large priority mailing box into the house, I thought to myself how utterly light weight this box felt—I don’t know what I was really expecting. When I opened it, I was delighted that the gizmo bunk covers had arrived.

The pictures in the gallery on their website led me to expect something much thicker with some kind of R-value to it.

So, what this product is, is a TARP material—green on one side and reflective on the other, with 1” nylon tape sewn around the border and 2” wide flat webbing Strips sewn across for structure and to keep the bungees in place.

I ordered the VELCRO OPTION ($10) which is a 1” wide strip of VELCRO loop sewn across the one end that will fit under the roof.

Only problem, and I am sure it is probably mentioned exhaustively on the site when I ordered it, that the HOOK portion of the velcro is not included and that you are on your own to find, in my case, 170” of Velcro HOOK, to attach above the weather strip at the ends of the roof to anchor the gizmo— roof-side.

I have been trying to find a good source for the 15’ of velcro or 3m product that I need. Anything you adhere underneath the roof is a dubious proposition IMO. If the velcro adhesive fails, then some of the camper material may go with it. Industrial or acrylic adhesive will take a little Roof material or lining with it. Kinda premature since I haven’t installed it yet.

I have an industrial machine and an attachment that folds nylon tape in half to sew the borders if I decide to add something with R-value to add to this reflective tarp. I can rip the seams off the borders and sandwich something lightweight and insular in place. We’ll see how it performs.

All in all, is it worth the near $200 for a reflective tarp when all said and done? With the tarp material, the nylon piping, velcro, flat webbing and bungee to cut, assemble and sew everything??..What a headache...
    384334E0-A566-437B-BFD5-96FFAB9FDD9B.jpeg
    if you can do this fast and have done hundreds, you could make a profit, but I see making each set is a lot of work, and it looks like the work is sewn well......so, for what it is, it probably IS worth it.....

Not everyone can take this product a step further like i plan to if needed, it would be very easy for me to add “something to the bottom side” to increase R-value now that I know what this product is. But after reading other comments, I dont think further effort will be necessary as this is a well made product....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I really dont think its made to insulate as much as reflect. R rating on anything added to it will probably not amount to much. Besides the air gap between the tenting and the cover will probably be better. Try it out and then post. Ill bet you will be surprised.

And
    Dude , you lost all credibility with the spookolies. [:D]

kitphantom and vdotmatrix like this.
  3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I have been using PUGs for years on all my campers and I can tell you, it is NOT A TARP! And yes, on the website, right next to where you click the option for the Velcro, it says "Soft Side Only". You can obtain the needed Velcro at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Do not attach in one strip, cut in three or four pieces. See my photos here: https://www.popupportal.com/threads/new-gizmos.121220/page-2

Nowhere does it make a claim to any R value. From the website: "our design reflects Sunlight to lower interior tempters during the Summer and helps to prevent heat lose in the Winter".

I would say that if you have buyer's remorse, you should contact Bob @ PopUp Gizmos. I'm sure he will be happy to refund your purchase.

theseus, MTDillon, kitphantom and 2 others like this.
  4. vdotmatrix

No buyers remorse..Bob was very good at communicating with me...i am just reporting what i see. I must admit, i missed some content that you pointed out, the content was a little busy and distracting. It has the thickness of a tarp, i really don't know what I expected, but I was surprised a little. . I found some velcro and it will be here Sunday. Anyway...i am excited to use the product, could have used last week while kiteboarding in Hatteras. Cheers

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. vdotmatrix

I think i like the idea of staples. If i have to remove the velcro, i dont want to damage underneath.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I just got some me rolls of adhesive backed Velcro from Joanns I think. The adhesive helps it stay in place while I used a staple gun to properly secure the strips. That has held up fine for 4 or 5 years now.

I got some plastic lashing books from Amazon and attached those below the bunks, and used some old keyrings to attach all the bungie hooks to. Now I just grab and attach to the hooks, makes setup much easier.

This will be my last season with them though. The reflective parthas begun to tear in several places, but that is mainly because on my roof I had to put the Velcro a little higher up so there ended up being greater tension on the pug, causing it to pull at the stitching.

Made a huge difference in keeping the interior cooler in the TX summer sun though, and I will happily buy another set.

vdotmatrix likes this.
  7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I will add that I used a (reflective) tarp before I got the gizmos. As at the time I couldn’t pay the money for the real thing. Although the tarp helped it can’t reflect the sun away like the gizmos can. It was a significant difference when I put the gizmos on at a campground with zero shade.
    Even better because the gizmos are so thin I can keep them on the bunk when closing things up. Another plus in my book. Going on season three with my gizmos now and they are still going strong. Besides,
    Dealing with Bob was so nice For a change. A friendly voice, helpful information vrs going to anywhere else where they completely lost sight of their customers. You can’t find true honest to goodness customer service where I live anymore. I will be lucky to get a hello.

8. vdotmatrix

I installed them today and used a key ring ring to connect them together under the bed....good tip. They look to just fit....and i think they will do a good job of reflecting the sun and keeping the interior cooler so the A/C will love it... the next test is when i take it to the outer banks for my week long kiting stays with constant winds 15-20-30mph....(hopefully). Will report back. Looks good so far..... the velcro arrives in a few days

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. vdotmatrix

I am at the point of attaching velcro to the roof. There is that aluminum finished edge above the weather seal, then there is the roof-which is wood....just wood. I am tempted to start the velcro on the smooth metal surface than the porous wooden.....I see a similar metal edge on your pictures at that link above....but the bond at the smooth metal surface will be much stronger than the wood. I cleaned everything with mineral spirits...

10. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Would seem like a no-brainer for PUGs to offer the hook-side velcro. Ideally it would just be included, as most everyone will need it unless this is replacing older ones. But at least optionally. They can buy it in bulk and sell it in the correct sizes for (likely) cheaper then we could, and definitely much less hassle.

I was surprised when I read that you were on your own to find the hook side.

Indiobravo likes this.
  11. vdotmatrix

Yes. I have pondered all day long possible reasons they would have not to include the entire velcro set thing. The only thing I could come up with are the endless substrate surfaces the end user could encounter to attach velcro hook to. And then Now all of a sudden it is Gizmo’s problem why the hook velcro didn't stick to your Nasty surface-and the hassle of customers calling about velcro---just sayin. He took the aspect out of his control off the table.....thus , we are on our own... for instance, right now, his instructions say to use 2” industrial velcro....And place it above the weather strip P, but above the weather strip on most camper roofs is a metal finishing trim...if i stuck the velcro above this, that is distance I take away from the overhang at the end of the bunk. Anyway, the velcro woukd stick much better to the trim than the wood... so i went to the trouble of cutting a 3/4” strip To fit the trim and so on.... picture soon,

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    c2sands likes this.
  12. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Picture your camper all setup. Note that the bunkend canvas forms a kind of seal. So with the PUG installed, the canvas will pinch it between the canvas and the roof-edge. The Velcro isn't holding 500 lbs! I have never had any issues with the Velcro attachment of my PUG and the roof.

13. Sneezer

The main issue you will need to deal with is length of the pugs. I think there should be a couple extra inches on them when using Velcro. When I did mine I had to put the Velcro further up the roof because the contour of mine didn't lend itself well to mounting it right above the weather strip. As a result it is a little too short on the bunk end. It worked, but it was tighter than I would like. The Velcro I bought started to peel up a little too due to abs roof and Texas heat, so stapling was needed which solved that whole problem.

I wouldn't put it on the aluminum in case it didn't take. If it were me I would put it on the wood and drive staples into it. If it ended up being a little too short lengthwise I would get some material and Velcro and sew up an extension. I plan to do the same on my 2nd set if he can't just make them a couple inches longer for me.

14. vdotmatrix

Yeah, I did both. I put more 1/4" staples than pictured here and I put a small piece of velcro in that blank spot...That Industrial stenth adhesive is pretty strong. I will check to see if it is long enough... which is why I thought I had to run it to the trim. I installed the velcro precisely and didn't have time to raise the camper up but will do so in the morning.

I think I am also going to get some seam sealer and seal the stitching on the non-reflective side of this tarp. I don't want to have liquid hang out between this tarp and the canvass, although there will no doubt be some condensation or moisture under it at any given time I guess.

Attached Files:

15. Sneezer

I didn't have any issues with condensation leaking through on mine when it rained. If anything in humid environments with the A/C running you will get condensation on the outside of the canvas no matter what you did.

I did take some pool noodles and put a couple between the pug and canvas to create a little bit of an air gap. Seemed to help with heat soak too. Only problem was a stack of tied up pool noodles takes up valuable space for storage.

PopUpSteve likes this.
  16. vdotmatrix

Well, almost a year later and I am just finishing popup projects. The Gizmo fits pretty well. I am hoping to be able to leave it attached to the tent. Here is the fit. Looks good and definitely makes the interior darker and cooler. I was able to leave it attached, i have to tweek the fit just a little but it is good right now 5E829FBB-040D-4E36-9D9C-CD86DAD3367B.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  17. azhrei

azhrei New Member

my observations from a trip to Oregon Inlet OBX. windy beyond what I expected. I had only put Velcro on one end here at home. and was planning on the installing the other end when I got down there, the only problem, I left the Velcro at home. the end with the Velcro stayed in place quite nicely the only issue was the flapping due to the wind but never came loose. the other end not so much. I think for the future either the pool noodles or shortening the cords would have helped and I like the key ring idea! my wife did find the camper more comfortable than sitting outside under the tarp, and we did have all the windows down! 100% love these and would recommend them.

PopUpSteve likes this.
  18. vdotmatrix

We experienced some very strong winds and rain at the koa in waves OBX. The Giz pro ided an extra measure of water protection and thermal protection. They really make a difference. I may replace the bungy material to something a little thicker. I am able to leave the giz in place when putting the camper away.