Gizmos and Reflectix not enough...

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by moneeleann, Jul 8, 2011.

1. moneeleann

moneeleann New Member

So, I have gizmos on the bunk ends and the slide out. I have reflectix cut for every window except the front "living room" window, but I do mostly keep that curtain shut with the awning up.

We went camping this past weekend, and I do believe I met my match. Temps here in Oklahoma were highs of 102 to 106 every day. Ugh! Between the hours of about 12 to 6 we were pretty miserable. Inside temps got up to the low 90s every day.

Now, I realize that these are extreme conditions, but in Oklahoma, this is at least one solid month of the summer, sometimes two (with it this hot this early, looks like it will be for two this year) and I don't want to lose my summer camping time. I was analyzing this situation, and was thinking this... The space between the roof and the window where the reflectix goes in is uncovered, and those portions definitely do get hot. So what about altering my gizmo to add end and side panels? Thinking of adding a roof option too, to camp in extreme conditions.

What do you think? Would this eliminate my need for reflectix or would I use both to add some insulation other than just reflective?

2. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

The reflectix in the windows probably won't net you anything compaired to using them in the winter. My recommendation is to get some gizmo liners as the Mylar they are built from is what they use to line attics with and will act as a second barrier and will retain the cool air from the a/c better. Or you can buy a cheap bag of emergency blankets and hang them inside before you purchase a good set of liners from popupgizmos. I tried this myself and it really works. I am guessing you are using shore power or a genny.

3. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

There's a few things that might help. Gizmos now sells an interior liner that now covers the entire bunkend which will do exactly what you're thinking. It may be cost effective compared to buying another 48" roll of Reflectix.

Also, did you just lay your Gizmos on the bunkend vinyl/canvas top? You might try putting a spacer in between the Gizmo and the roof. A swimming pool noodle works well. It adds a dead air space which should decrease the amount of heat transferred.

Your idea about covering the roof should help. A large silver tarp or space blankets stitched together might be the way to go. Isn't OK pretty windy? Could be an issue.

I'm sure you've got fan(s) but the Fantastic Endless Breeze is IMHO the best 12v fan out there. You may be able to find a better price than Amazon's. I just linked to it so you could read the reviews. The only way it could be better is if it oscillated. Even on max. it draws only 3 amps and we usually just use medium which is under 2.

4. lawniz

lawniz New Member

if you want to stay cool get a TT, its a pop up for goodness sakes.

5. johnlely14hw

johnlely14hw New Member

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL]
    But pup's are hot! [;)]

6. dgeddes

dgeddes Member

Well or at least AC. PuGs or no PuGs I would not buy a popup in Texas or Oklahoma that didn't have AC.

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I just can't stand hot, humid weather. If it were so hot and humid that I needed AC I just wouldn't go. I couldn't stand to be outside and there would be no fun in being inside the PUP all day.

8. moneeleann

moneeleann New Member

Ahhh, I guess I wasn' clear on that. I HAVE an AC, and ran it, round the clock.

Low temps were around 78 each day, and highs in the 101-105s every day.

During the night, the camper was easily 65 degrees in there, with the AC running on low. Kicked it up to high by about 11AM, then watched the temps climb...

I have looked at the indoor options from PUGs, but we actually do spend a lot of time in the camper and I don't think I would like to look at the silver stuff all day... Which is why I was thinking of making the same thing, just completely covering the bunk ends on the outside instead of the inside.

9. dgeddes

dgeddes Member

Maybe my AC just works better or something...

I've had my PuP setup for days in 100 degree temps down in SE Texas, and with PUGs and keeping the PUP as zipped up as possible the AC keeps the temperature at an acceptable level. It gets humid down there as well but the PUP still remains a refuge from the heat. Yeah the AC runs all day but at night I actually have to turn it down a bit or it gets too cold.

If the AC did not keep it cool in there I would not even think of going and sitting out there in the Texas/Oklahoma heat.

10. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

I live in TX and it gets pretty hot and humid here also. We had PUG's on our last PUP (Jayco 1006) and they seemed to make a difference that was noticeable vs not having them on. We have a Niagara now and just bought a set of PUG's for it and Reflectix for the bunk ends and slide out.

This weekend we are going camping where the temps will be in the triple digits the whole time:

[​IMG]

That's 104* and 103*, WITHOUT a Heat Index which will make it feel even hotter. [:O] [:(O]

We went camping in the begining of June and the whole weekend was 101* / 102*. We did not have any PUG's or Reflectix then, and I wish we did because it was hot inside the pup until the sun went down, and I have a 15k BTU AC.

This weekend will be even hotter and I am hoping that the combination of PUG's and the Reflectix will help keep the inside cool. We we be tubing & playing in/on the river during the daytime hours but I still would like a nice cool camper to come back to. lol

I will post back here after our trip this weekend and let you know how they worked.

11. joet

joet Well-Known Member

With everything mentioned above, I started with Gizmo's and then Reflectix then a white vinyl tarp to cover the pup with.The tarp does make a difference

12. NetDad

NetDad New Member

Heck I would not buy one in central IL without AC either! We get 95-100 a lot with high humidity. I would not go camping without AC into 105 weather. Just does not sound like fun. (Exeption would be if I was at a CG where I could spend the whole day in the water.

13. Liv

Liv New Member

Looks like our temps here, except last Sunday, we were hotter than anywhere else in the US! [SUN]
    Have you cleaned your AC recently. I hear that helps in the performance. I plan to clean mine on Sat. I am so grateful we are camping in Colorado next month. That is the one thing I love about the mountains. It cools down at night!
    Lov
    Liv

14. moneeleann

moneeleann New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I did clean out the AC with an air compressor before we left for the trip. We didn't take the cover off though, so I'll be taking off the cover when I bring it home and giving it a good cleaning.

I guess I just though I could get a greater temperature difference than 15 degrees. Seems like just the air conditioning should have provided me with that, but with PUGs, reflectix, and air, I thought I would have a larger temp drop. I think when I bring it home I'm going to start it up and test out the temp of the air conditioner, to see if it is working properly. I can't remember at the moment, but can look up the temps. Anyone off hand know what the temp difference between input and output is for a Carrier AirV?

15. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Just be very careful with the cooling fins on the AC. Bent fins mean less cooling efficiency. Even many little bends can affect the cooling of a small AC unit.

You might also consider the Back Side Awning Mod to help keep the sun off the pup
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=26164.0

16. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Even if the ac worked well enough to keep you cool during the day, what's the attraction to going somewhere only to spend the whole time cooped up inside the camper?

17. moneeleann

moneeleann New Member

Well, we're cooped up together during the hot parts of the day no matter where we are. At least when we're in the camper, we are still "away" from it all. No chores, no laundry needing done, no constant TV on, etc. We're together as a family, and I play games in the popup with my teenagers while my babies nap. Plus, we can go swimming in the lake, and we still have a good time.

18. FC

FC Central Florida

Here in Florida the summers are not the time to camp,at least for me. It's hot,humid,buggy and stormy. Non of these things appeal to me when camping.

19. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Just curious .... is your tenting canvas or vinyl? I have a theory that vinyl tenting is a much better insulator since it is not breathable like canvas.

Mine has vinyl on the outside and some kind of cotton material on the inside. My AC will freeze us out even on the hottest day. I have no pugs and no reflectix. I can have it set up in full sun on a 100 degree day and it will get too chilly in there within a short period of time.

It was complete dumb luck that I ended up with a vinyl tent this time, but if I ever buy another pup I would only consider vinyl.

20. Papa Bear

Papa Bear New Member

One trick my DW came up with. We cut that pink foam board insulation to fit the side canvas of our PUP. It isn't all that pretty to look at, but that was the least of our concerns when we're relaxing for a few minutes after being outside all day on the river. We've used them for past 3 years, summer and winter, and have had good luck insulating our "mobile chalet".