Gizmos are very dissapointing!!!

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by lynnmarie0123, Jul 6, 2021.

1. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Active Member

Today was the 1st test to see how well my new (ordered online) gizmos worked to cool my pup. In addition, i have ALL windows sealed with reflectix tape. Meaning i have custom made to fit, soLar shades on every window
    Between screens and plastic windows. Its super dark and super hot in there. It got to 100 degrees.

I didnt have any AC on i simply was testing the effectiveness of solar protection alone. I feel like i wasted $100 on ordering them. Both bunk ends are completely covered with the gizmos.

So pup is parked in full sun, no shade. The roof vent is fully opened but no other windows were. Im dissapointed. Im trying to figure out how to boondock this summer without driving across the US to Northern Michigan :) it was very hot near the door, the side the sun beams down all day. I realize without any AC on its going to be warm in there but not 100.

What am i doing wrong, thankyou!

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Hmmm. My TT has 2" of foam insulation in the walls and more in the roof. Just sitting in the sun on a 65F day here in Alaska, it gets up to 85F in there in the afternoon with it sealed up.

You're likely going to need to move some air in the bottom and out the roof vent with a fan. Otherwise, with it sealed up, even with gizmos and reflectix, it's just a big solar oven.

3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Your testing was flawed and expectations were not reasonable.

The Gizmos won't cool your pup, but they will keep the interior cooler than if you did not have them. Maybe if you did not have the Gizmos, it would have been 110 degrees or higher in the pup.

If you have the pup sealed with nowhere for the heat to go and you are not using the AC, you have just converted your pup into an oven whether you are using Gizmos or not.

In addition, you only need the solar window shades in the windows with sun shining on them. If you aren't using the AC, keep the windows open.

To properly test the Gizmos, you should have measure the heat inside the pup with the Gizmos on, then again with the Gizmos off and then compared temperatures.

4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

You have zero ventilation like that. Of course it is going to get hot. In full sun with no shade and no A/C running, a pup will turn into an oven, no different than any other closed up tent or shed. Reflectix and pugs are a huge help when running the A/C - they help take some of the sun load off the interior to allow the A/C to keep up with cooling the pup. If you don't have A/C, ditch the reflectix, keep the windows open to screens and use the pugs. It will still be hot, but not as hot as being closed up like that and baking in the sun. Use some fans too while you are inside.

I have had mine in the sun with reflectix and pugs when the electric died. It got unbearably hot inside. With electric and the roof A/C it could maintain temps in the mid to high 70s depending on shade. With electric and no roof A/C with only an 8k btu portable A/C, it was barely better than no electric. With both roof and portable I could keep it the high 60s/low 70s, and into the high 50s at night.

5. jeepster04

jeepster04 Active Member

Thats not how any of this works.

geoffm3, open68, davido and 4 others like this.
  6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

All that sealing did create an oven. Unless you have an a/c running, you need ventilation. (Even in our TT, ventilation makes a difference. Once we got MaxxAir vent covers and could leave the roof vents open on the road, it doesn't get as hot inside, which can be a relative thing when the outside temp is 95 or so.)
    When we bought our second popup, I had a chance to compare, literally side by side in the driveway, a popup with a PUG (the tiny first pup only had one bunk end) and one without. We live at 6000', the driveway faces W/SW, and this was in August, so it was a good test. Granted, we tend to have low humidity.
    The old, tiny popup, with vinyl backed canvas gained much less heat than the larger, more open (more windows with 2 bunk ends), new one, with Sunbrella (breathable) canvas. I was moving supplies from old to new, so had time to compare.

neighbormike likes this.
  7. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

It’s still a tent

popup-flyer and Rik Peery like this.
  8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Conestoga wagon will work in crossing the USA, been done before, some mad it!

Rik Peery, Sjm9911 and zak99b5 like this.
  9. Del Kelso

Del Kelso Active Member Silver Supporting Member

your house is way better insulated than you could ever hope your camper to be with gizmo's, but if you turn off the a/c it warms up, doesn't it? same is true for winter, if you turn off the heat, the house cools down. in the absence of machinery (supplied with energy to do its thing) that has the capability to heat things up or cool things down, the temps are going to be at equilibrium with the surrounding environment. i have gizmo's and reflectix and i can tell you that they work great to reflect heat, so the A/C doesn't have to work so hard. turn off the A/C and the camper is cooler than it would be without the gizmo's / reflectix, but still pretty hot on a sunny, hot day. not to be unkind, but your expectations were unrealistic. (see Laws of Thermodynamics).

if you want to be cool you need A/C and shore power (or a generator God forbid) or to go to someplace cool.

kitphantom likes this.
  10. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Open the shade side

Ryorkies, gottaski and hayyward like this.
  11. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Attempting to defeat the laws of thermodynamics.

The only time I was ever able to partially do so was cool a beer with a fire extinguisher. Drinkable yes....slushy no.

12. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

Totally unrealistic expectations :(

13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

They do work! We camped in Branson, MO back in 2014 with little shade and the Gizmos made a difference. With the A/C on it kept it about 70 inside when it was like 90 outside with humidity in the afternoon.

14. Chris4598

Chris4598 New Member

I am researching gizmos to find out how much they cost, but cannot find them. Where can I find them to order?

15. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

https://www.popupgizmos.com/
    The only ones. They are great to deal with and back up the product. I have no offiliations woth them. Just seeing here how they respond to us campers.

16. Chris4598

Chris4598 New Member

Thank you so much!

17. popup-flyer

popup-flyer Active Member

Glad someone else posted this......

As was said, Gizmos don't "Cool" They arent magical wireless A/C units. They reflect radiated heat from the sun.

I bought some in June, tested them at the end of June. I put them on with good direct overhead sunlight. After 2 hours I pulled out the infrared thermometer and pointed it at the roof of the bunk end. 99 Degrees. I took off the Gizmo walked in the house and folded it. Came right back out and took the temp again. 130 degrees. 20 minutes later 140 something degrees.

So yes they work, they do what they are designed to do, keep you from getting as hot as you might.

In Texas with Gizmos and A/C the bunks were still not super comfortable unless I put the 12V fans on the bunk pole and ran them to push air in to the bunk end.

Adjust your expectations

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    Tom Jordan, kitphantom and Sjm9911 like this.
  18. Big_O

Big_O New Member

First time pop up owner in Georgia. First thing I did was self-install a roof A/C. Then buy the PUGS. Working at home prepping for the maiden voyage (A/C was off), I felt heat radiating on the top of the bunk. Installed the PUGS and the difference was amazing. It was hot inside, but bearable and no radiating heat. This is a no brainer. I’ve bought backpacking rain fly gear that is more expensive than this!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  19. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

They do degrade over time due to UV exposure. My gizmos do not gizmo like they used to gizmo but they've been used at least 60 days/nights per year for 7-8 seasons. Perhaps it's time to think about a new set.

kitphantom and silvermickey2002 like this.
  20. davido

davido Well-Known Member

It's unfortunate that the expectation is that the Gizmos will actively cool the popup.

Start with ambient temperature. Let's say it's 90 degrees outside. That's your baseline. You will never make your popup cooler than 90 degrees. Let's say you air condition the popup down to 70, and then turn off the AC. You'll be back at 90 (in the shade) in a half hour. That's the best you can do.

Solar radiation is absorbed by every surface on earth. Your trailer absorbs sunlight in the form of heat. On that 90 degree day, your trailer in full sunlight will want to reach 120f.

Add gizmos. You now reflect back some of that solar radiation, and provide some insulation as well. Now the trailer will want to reach 105 inside.

Turn on your FanTastic Fan and draw cool (90f) air from outside and you may get your trailer down to 95 inside. So instead of reaching 120, by combining Gizmos and a fan, you're down to 95. That's a win. Fan alone (no Gizmos) may keep the interior at 100 to 105. So by combining them, you get a 25f decrease in interior temperature versus where you would have been with no fan and no gizmos.

But this is all passive. You will never, without AC, get the trailer below ambient temperature, or even close to it in full sunlight.

kitphantom likes this.